Minor/Repaint: Micromaster Darkwings by Fighbird & BigPete

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Big_Daddy, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    The ones who attended the NTFA Mini-Con convention in Sweden know the story about this project. About 5 months ago, I had this crazy idea about a convention exclusive figure. I wanted it to be something that had never been done before, and all of a sudden I had this idea about making Micromaster versions of Godmasters Buster and Hydra from the Japanese Masterforce series. In the west we know them as Powermasters Darkwing and Dreadwind. But I also wanted them to be able to combine into Darkwings (western name is Dreadwing).

I approached NTFA Admin Fighbird (also known at TransTopia) with the idea, and he thought it was an excellent idea. I sent him a couple of Micromasters, namely Storm Cloud and Eagle Eye, which we agreed on would be the best moulds for this project. Fighbird created a custom made combiner piece out of styrene, a task that took almost two months! The end result was amazing though; he found a way to make the Micromasters combine! He then painted the Micromasters and the combiner piece, and made sure both Micromasters were fully transformable without risking to scrape the paint off.

I started work on a custom box, influenced by the original Japanese D-306 Darkwings giftset box, even though I still wanted it to look distinctively different. I designed the box itself first, with a nice, big flap, and a self-sealing bottom. I then used some of the original box art (heavily modified) on the box, along with custom made art work. I didn't put a window in since it would have to be big enough to show both figures, and on a small box that only fits two Micromasters, a lot of the box art would have been lost.

As I said, the original intent was to make convention exclusive figures, but unfortunately we didn't have the time needed to create 60 Micromasters, 30 combiner pieces, and 30 boxes. Fighbird thought of moulding the combiner piece, but he didn't have the necessary equipment for it.

We had a finished prototype sans stickers (didn't have time for those either) though, so I entered it into the art contest at the convention, for everyone to see, so we still had some use for it :) 

Here's an extensive gallery of the project, so please enjoy, and don't forget to post comments!

The front of the box:

[​IMG]

Left side:

[​IMG]

Right side:

[​IMG]

Back:

[​IMG]

Close-up of the back:

[​IMG]

The flap:

[​IMG]

The insert taken out of the box. The combiner part fits in the middle compartment, and the Micromasters to the left and right:

[​IMG]

Hydra and Buster:

[​IMG]

Hydra close-up:

[​IMG]

Buster close-up:

[​IMG]

The custom made combiner piece:

[​IMG]

Jet mode:

[​IMG]

Combined into Darkwings:

[​IMG]

Combined into Darkwings, picture 2:

[​IMG]

Close-up of the combined mode:

[​IMG]

Sorry about the dark and blurry close-ups; the macro function in my camera isn't the best...

Comments appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, and the box took some 80 hours to make including design, art, printing, and building.

3. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I think it looks awesome. I've always been a huge Micromasters/Mini-cons fan.

4. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    what the heck?? Is Gort the only one who likes Micromasters in here? Comments, please! :p 

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    You have to remember not everyone has seen Masterforce so they might not know who they are. Good job. They would go well with the Kabaya mini ginrai who is wst sized.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't seen Masterforce, but I'm familiar enough with the original figures and I think these are mighty cool! I've always loved Micromasters. And the molds you chose are perfect for them! That's a really innovative idea, and the execution is very cool.

Making a custom box for them is the icing on the cake. Really nice job! :) 

7. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I don't like micromasters but I like the paintjob and box-work in this project. Especially the bot modes and the faces, they look a lot like the originals.
    However it's a slight shame that some paint is peeling, a thin layer of clear coating would do the trick on the exposed areas.
    Nice work :thumb 

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Very nice.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys plan on releasing it as an exclusive next time the convention rolls around? It would be a shame to see all that work go to waste.

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nie job Big Pete!

10. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Fighbird always does such amazing work in micro size. And that box is incredible.

11. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I actually wasn't a huge fan of Masterforce... but I knew these guys from the Powermasters series of G1 toys beforehand... Thought the combining vehicle modes was a cool gimmick for the two...

Thought the Masterforce characters kinda sucked. :( 

Anyways... as far as the individual characters go, I think you did a great job with both of em. Absolutely superb. Both of em. Nailed em. Spot on.

The combined jet mode... It doesn't really do it for me. But then, you aren't exactly working with a whole lot. Taking that into consideration, it's a very good translation into micromaster form.

How big are their powermasters? ;) 

12. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    No, this piece will never see production. It's the only one in existence, and we're going to keep it that way :) 

13. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    Yeah, the combined mode takes some getting used to, but I personally think it was the best solution we had.

Yeah, very funny, hehe :p 

14. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

That's beautiful. I wish there were more released, I would love to own it.

You did a great job.

15. Big_Daddy

News Credits:

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    nice lil project.

17. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I'm only familiar with the Powermaster toys so I can't comment on Masterforce.

The choices, of Micro Masters, you made seem to work really well and the application of paint colors, too.

My only complaint with the paint is, Where is the powermaster paint area? You should have added some color to represent the Powermasters even though you couldn't have actual Powermasters, due to size.

Your custom piece, for attaching them together, gives them a better, combined, look that the origonal combination.

I know it's not easy to make and modify these things, but it almost looks like the tail fins, from Buster, could have been modified to fit into the slots, on Hydra's legs, and then, combine without an extra piece.

Seems a shame that you put all this work into it and then it won't be produced. Thanks for showing them to us.

18. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome idea - fit in well with the WSTs. I may have to try the repaint idea (the combined mode and box are out of my depth!) and create Gen 1 versions (Darkwing/Dreadwind). Once again, great work :thumb 

19. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    Good point! Thanks :) 

Hmmm, I'll take a look at the leg/fin mod and see if it can be done. Thanks for your input!

20. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm surprised at how much the little guy looks like Hydra, very good work. Anything else similar planned?