Micheal Bay Appreciation Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tfomegaprime, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    exactly how i feel

2. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Thank you Michael Bay for making three of the greatest action movies of all time!

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    You apparently haven't seen many action movies, have you...

4. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

Thanks for making one of the best series become real Bay! I can't wait for TF4... Yet I have to....

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Even I have to admit the Bay films did not ruin Transformers, it brought them to the attention of John Q Public.
    However I'm disappointed that these movies were mediocre at best. Certainly not on par with the Marvel franchise.
    As Transformers fans most of us remember specific scenes, events, and characters in the movies that John Q Public never noticed or cared about.
    And I can almost garentee that John Q Publics memories of the movies are sketchy at best (with the exception of Optimus Prime or Bumblebee). I doubt most non movie fans even remember who Ironhide was, because he wasn't a character; he was special effects background animation.
    I can promise you everyone remembers the Hulk from the Avengers, or Joker from the Dark Knight.
    (And for those of you who are thinking 'but Hulk was 3d animated' you missed the point entirely).
    Ironhide probably had about 5 lines through out all three movies (don't bother counting, I don't really care), and you never really saw enough of him to like or hate him.
    Hulk on the other hand you saw enough of him in one movie to cheer him on because he had stage presence, he had personality, he was a likable, and memorable character.

Moving on. (I'm not picking on Ironhide btw, I just needed an example).

I'll say this about the movies, and this is probably the most heinous crime the Bayformers movies have done; they've polarized the fan base.
    Think about it. Some people like G1, some people don't. Some people love Beast Wars; some don't, etc, etc, etc. But I don't see a lot of nasty and mean flame wars going on about them.
    With the movies you're either part of the Cult of Bay, or you're a 'Geewuuuunerrrr' who can't cope with change.
    And I think if the movies weren't so far removed from Transformers as a whole, more of us fans would be able to meet towards the middle.

I mean god forbid if someone out there were to actually make a genuinely well-rounded and good Transformers movie what would happen to the fan base then?

6. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

Probably Bay was cheap and didn't want to pay a lot of money to the voice actors.Probably Peter Cullen got 1000 dollars for playing Optimus Prime.

7. Drekar

Drekar Well-Known Member

I will say thanks to Bay only for giving me something new to share with me two ten year old cousins, they of course loved the movies, and whenever they come over they are always asking about me collection of classics, masterpieces and the few G1 toys I have. It has been great fun watching the old G1 series with them and showing them Ironhide wasnt a black truck but a red van and other differences like that. Other than that cant think of much, I seriously doubt he had anything to do with inspiring WFC or FOC, but people can believe whatever they want

8. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, this. :( 

...There would still be the wailing and gnashing of teeth because [insert character here] didn't have a design that some people wanted, or [insert character here] wasn't included, or they totally changed [insert character here]'s personality or they didn't think it had enough action, or it had too much action or whatever. :p 

[citation needed]

9. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

Why are some people not as lucky as Drekar?

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    You'll probably need a flashlight to find it.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you think 1000 dollars is all they paid Peter Cullen to play Optimus you're insane.

If you think money was an issue for him to play another character, in a movie where the budget was hundreds of millions of dollars, you're even more insane.

Bay has a reputation for spending wisely and keeping a tight leash on a film's budget, but Cullen's salary is chump change in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know about that, the fandom has always been polarized into very distinct groups: G1 vs. Beast Wars, G1 and Beast Wars vs. Armada, G1 series vs. Comics, Post-86 movie characters vs. Pre-86 movie characters, etc. etc. The way I see it, the one thing the films did, however, was bring a lot more people into the fandom, which effectively changed the face of it, especially in terms of discourse. The larger the sample size, the wider the distribution of language skills, maturity, and critical thinking, especially when you factor in how many young fans and teenagers it brought to the fandom.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    And a whole search party. :lol 

My bro.

13. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

Let me try to edit it.Probably Bay was cheap enough that he decided to shorten the lines of the voice actors.:) 

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Unlikely, since there's no evidence of this, and no real reason for him to do so. Voice actors are paid a per hour or per diem rate on television shows, but for a major feature film like this, it could very well have been a lump sum. Even on television shows, however, voice actors are able to play multiple roles before being entitled to an extra fee (I believe the limit is three characters, though this may be out of date.).

15. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

If they paid Cullen a lot of buck ,at least bay should have thrown at least 20 extra lines on him and on every character.What do you think?

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    That Michael Bay isn't going to stuff extra dialogue into an action-based script just because his actors are well paid.

17. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

Didn't Steve Blumm say on botcon that he got paid 70 bucks for every line he did?

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But don't forget that subset of fandom: the REASONABLE fans who like G1 AND Beast Wars AND Armada, G1 cartoon AND Comics, Post-'86 Movie cast AND Pre-'86 movie cast.

I don't know why this group is as small as it is, but not all of us fans are psychos who need to be polarized about everything. I can keep G1 as my favorite and still enjoy the Bay movies just fine.

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I'm sorry if I came off that way, I meant more that these sorts of disputes have always existed, even if there's a ton of people who fall into more than one "camp", if not all of them.

Could be it worked out to that, but voice actors are rarely, if ever, paid by the line. He probably just divided how much he was paid in total over the number of lines he had. Also, keep in mind that Cullen can probably demand a larger salary for a feature film than Blum can for a television series. Their union ensures they are paid at least around $450-780 for a 4 hour session, in the case of television, depending on certain conditions. At that rate, Blum would have had to say only 6.8 lines in a session to reach his $70 statistic, but he would still be paid for his time, not by the line.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  20. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

Youre kinda right.Plus to much robot talk would spoil the plot and Bay would have to shorten the movie if he did that,probably cutting all the action scenes.We should probably leave a lot of dialogue to cartoons.