Michael Vick's long, hard month

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So let's see:

Nike dropped him. No more Michael Vick Zooms.

Upper Deck dropped him. No more Michael Vick cards or memorabilia.

Rawlings dropped him. No more Michael Vick footballs or promotions.

Reebok won't make Michael Vick jerseys anymore, although they never have a deal directly with him.

NFL.com isn't selling anymore Michael Vick merchandise.

Nothing to do with the dog thing, but Airtran dropped him a whiles back: "Embattled Falcons quarterback Michael Vick can still fly AirTran — but he will have to pay to do it."

And rounding it all out, his buddy from his high school days just pled guilty. Same guy who MV7 LLC was registered by. He says that he doesn't have a deal.

I don't believe him.

At this point, Vick's genuinely looking at jail time.

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Don’t forget Senator Robert Byrd mad dissin’ him on the floor of the Senate. YouTube it if you dare. BARBARIAN!

3. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

He's thinking "must not fumble the soap!"

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have no sympathy for such a cruel, vile and disgusting person.

5. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

It's too bad for Vick that he wasn't involved in some human abuse or murder scandal. He wouldn't have gotten as bad a rap from the public.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    GOOD.

7. rodimusminor

rodimusminor Well-Known Member

Amazing isn't it? As much as I hope Vick gets all that's coming to him, when you look at what some of the other players have gotten pretty much free passes on, it's stunning.

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Just because the media is sensationalizing this doesn't make him any less of a disgrace of a human being.

9. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I hope he doesn't get some small crap prison sentence because he's a celeb. I want him to get the full time.

10. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Just another example of having large sums of cash doesn't equal having brains.

11. Tenebrouser

I never stated otherwise; I was making a point about public perceptions.

In contrast to Vick, Ray Lewis was allowed to play football the same year he was alledged to have been involved in his murder scandal. Vick can't even do that, even though he's supposed to be presumed innocent. What does that say about where we are as a society? What made Lewis' situation less serious than Vick's?

Edit: Regardless, what Vick did and what he's getting as a result is his own fault and he deserves it. But there's no question bad PR appears to be motivating the NFL and these companies revoking endorsements of him more than the actual crimes themselves.

12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    A federal case usually throws more weight with it, they have over a 95% conviction rate. With Lewis, when reading about the case (which I followed a tad), most law professionals saw the case against him as weak and based solely on flimsy and circumstantial evidence.

As for the NFL's stance, there was a different Commissioner in place when Lewis was on trial. When Roger Goodell stepped in, he implemented a "Personal Conduct" policy. Which he wanted to use to give himself and teams the ability to discipline players who bring negative publicity to themselves or the NFL. This was used first for Pacman Jones. Also, I know the media absolutely killed Ray Lewis, at least in Philly.

13. Tenebrouser

I actually heard a prediction with credibility by one of the sportstalk radio guys that Vick would miss this season, be convicted, and serve less than a year's jail time.

After two missed seasons, he would play football again, because one of the 32 teams would give him another chance.

It certainly doesn't seem like an implausable scenario, even with Goodell at the helm. Why bother with a year-long suspension if the possibility exists that he could revive his career down the road in only a few years' time? Pro Sports just doesn't seem to be serious about holding its best athletes accountable. If he's guilty (which it certainly looks like he is), then he should lose the privelage of playing in the league altogether.

99% of the businesses out there wouldn't put up with this BS. I know my company would fire me in a heartbeat.

Pacman Jones is another example. A one-year suspension for someone with 10 infractions seems like a drop in the bucket in terms of punishment.

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I agree 100%.

15. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I know that its supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but I have no sympathy for him.

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Me either.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here...I'm so shock at what he with the "losing dogs"...as if the animals haven't suffered enough in their fights...

18. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    there is so much shit going on in all level of sports, but you really have to fuck up bad to get noticed like this.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it bad of me to be thinking that I really should have snagged some Vick merchandise before it started getting pulled or no longer sold? That stuff must be worth something on eBay now.

The burden of considering someone innocent until proven guilty only applies to the government in conducting trials/prosecution; it wasn't meant to apply to personal opinions, the court of public opinion or (with exceptions) the dealings of private enterprises. Given all of the evidence that's surfaced thusfar, I'm entirely convinced Vick is guilty of the charges and will maintain that opinion regardless of what the courts decide.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  20. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Couldn't happen to a better asshole. He's even low for Bad Newz scumbags and thats pretty damn low.