Michael Bay's talkin HD Smack again.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shin-Gouki, Dec 4, 2007.

1. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i like UMD! superior picture quality.

2. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

There is basically NO difference - both use the same blue laser for data recovery and have signed up to provide material with certain codecs (picture and sound quality).

They have different storage constructions, Blueray allows for more data to be stored with the trade off of a distinct possibility of greater disc fragility.

People claiming to see vast differences in image quality need their heads examined.

3. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That is exactly what my friends have been telling me. Very well put DeathsHead.

4. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Why does Hollywood even let Bay open his mouth? And making 700 mil off Transformers has probably made his already tremendous ego bigger.

I still wonder if Bay actually consulted any scientists over the movie's "realism", or if he just based "reality" on what he prefers things look like(don't answer... I'm 100% sure Bay thinks he's smarter than Hawking).

5. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Microsoft shot the sherrif, but did not shoot the deputy......no they shot the deputy too.

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I wish Bay would make up his freaking mind. The last time he did this he suddenly retracted his statement a day later and claimed HD-DVD was awesome.

I believe they meant 'realism' as in the transformers not having perfectly solid robot arms and legs hidden inside the engine bay or the trunk like Alternators (commonly cited as being 'realistic' Transformers) do. The Movie's vision of realism is every robot part possibly being made of all the vehicle mode parts somehow so that they can remain flawless vehicles, not being 'scientifically realistic'.

7. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More storage capacity... that's the ONLY reason I can think of... and that don't mean jack SHIAT unless you use said space.

8. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

More storage space allows for less uncompressed files such as uncompressed audio. Which is nice for sound if you have a good sound system. The other differences between hd-dvd and blu ray is storage, uncompressed/compressed audio, and the codecs (think thats what it is) to display the image. Both can do 1080p just fine.

9. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

god I don't care!! pick a format and run with it. I'm not investing my hard earned cash into something that will only get me half of the release market and/or might be scrapped in a year or so anyways!

Also, other than more space for uncompressed audio and video what's the big deal of having more space capacity? We get shit for extra features as it is. Why would I want more space for TV spots, and 10 minute feauturettes pieced together from Entertainment Tonight footage?? Director commentary? Pfft, unless the people on the commentary are the same folks that do Futurama commentaries or Mike J. Nealson and gang, you're sitting there listening to some asshole talk about his brilliant choice in camera positioning...not worth it

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Truth. Most DVD extras and commentary tracks can lick me where I make boom-boom.

11. bullgates

bullgates Well-Known Member

Well HDDVD officially passed their 51GB TL disc so now they will have more space. Really the biggest difference between the 2 besides movies studios is that BR allows higher bit rates. The both use the same audio and video codecs (with the exception of LPCM.)