Michael Bay's talkin HD Smack again.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shin-Gouki, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    - xbox-scene.com

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I wonder if the tinfoil hat fucks up his sweet mullet.

3. honestgabe

honestgabe I

oooooooooWEEEEEEEEEEwoooooooooooooooooooooo

creeeeepy conspiracy!

4. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How come BluRay is more superior? Sorry but I'm new in the format wars...this is shaping up to be like SD vs Memory Stick. Its Sony again wanting to create their own standards for the rest, sigh.

5. Scrappy

Scrappy smiling a blacktooth grin

Don't worry it's just opinionated bullshit from a crazy bitter director. I'm sure he's just got his panties in a twist because his movie wasn't released on both formats to increase profits.

Man Bay, you dig yourself into deeper holes than Sony's PR guys.

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Jesus, I bet Bay thinks the High def DVD format wars is the big conspiracy of the 21th century thats gonna bring about the rise of Microsoft has our overlords.

7. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I for one welcome our new entertainment overlords

8. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

Dammit, can't we have just one conspiracy related thread without this damn quote?

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

He is absolutely right about why Microsoft is doing this. Microsoft is trying to kill HD Discs by artificially prolonging the format war which simply means that both sides loose. If Microsoft was really serious about backing HDDVD they would have included the drive with the 360 Elite.

Also IMO, going the digital download route would be awful. The bit rate for downloaded or broadcast HD is cut dramatically in order to save space, resulting in a lesser quality picture and lower quality sound. Both HD disc formats look considerably better than any officially released downloaded content that I have seen. In addition, downloading over 30 gigs for a movie would suck unless you live in someplace like Korea and Japan. Then there is the whole "you don't really own the content" thing that is associated with digital downloads.

I disliked the Transformers movie, but I commend Bay for speaking out on this.

10. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Cool, I love conspiracy theories! Did you guys hear about the one on the grassy nole? Oh, you did? Nevermind. :wink: 

11. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

The format will be prolonged regardless of MS spending money simply because the vast majority of people aren't buying either. HD DVD is winning in standalone player sales. Blue Ray is winning in discs sold. But neither is selling enough more then the other at this point for there to be any kind of clear winner.

Honestly I doubt one side will win out over the other for at leas another year or two, because at this point people jsut don't give damn because for most DVDs are fine and the HD thing doesn't matter.

12. Scrappy

Scrappy smiling a blacktooth grin

Right except for a few things. First off, adding the HD-DVD drive to the 360 would increase the products price. Microsoft have enjoyed the fact that their system was much less than the other big brand. Samsung and microsoft are already working on a sort of third party 360 with built in HD-DVD drive. It's a choice.

Internet 2 will fix our download rate issues once it's finished. This internet is pretty much full and we can only make it go so fast. Download rates will increase as will streaming content quality.

Personally I don't like downloading a movie as I'd rather have all the extra bells and whistles.

Can you honestly say that Microsoft is behind this though? Hello, iTunes?

13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Microsoft shot JFK.

14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    And JR

15. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Ewing reference FTW.

JR would grind Bill Gates' balls beneath his boot heels.

16. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

The Elite is alreay fairly expensive, and all they really added was a output port and a slightly larger HDD. If MS were commited to HDDVD, they would have added a HDDVD drive. Fact is they're not, they know the add on preferials traditionaly dont sell that well and so they're content

Not for a good long while. And remember, its not the internet itself that is keeping us from very fast internet, its the ISPs who make us pay too much for too little. In other parts of the world you pay a whole lot less for a whole lot more. In contrast, other places requite paying a whole lot more for a whole lot less.

Also just for fun, a chart of broadband speed worldwide:

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/Images/commentarynews/broadbandspeedchart.jpg

I fully agree. I likes my menus and extras and packaging and all.

What does Apple have to do with any of this? They have Apple TV, but thats not exactly a runaway success. Microsoft is testing the waters with the Xbox Marketplace and is doing fairly well.

Also, remember that Paramount was very aggressive in promoting blu-ray before this payola from Microsoft. Their switch was sudden and completely unexpected. It might have made sense if Toshiba paid them off, but it was Microsoft trying to keep a product that they don't own afloat for awhile longer. HDDVD was ready to fall by the end of this year, they only had 1 major studio on board, and rumors of that studio going the format-neutral route.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm thrilled that whatever part of the brain enables y'all to tell the difference between these two formats is completly missing in me. I've seen 'em both, I like 'em both, I don't care which one wins, and I'll probably be watching regular DVDs for another decade anyways.

18. bullgates

bullgates Well-Known Member

War = lower prices for consumers. Keep the conspiracy theory rolling. Maybe MS will add the HDDVD drive so they experience great sales like the PS3.

I don't know about you but I am grateful that I have a choice.

19. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL format wars

I also can't really see much more than minor differences between BluRay and HD (though I'm sure if I broke out the microscope I'd see more). I only went HD because A) Transformers movie and B) Heroes. :D 

20. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ding ding ding.