Michael Bay's basic premise about Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

I've reached this conclusion now after seeing both films.

Bottom-line, Bay does not really buy into the premise of TF as a serious sci-fi concept.

He realizes he has to placate those who do, i.e., we life-long fans. But outside of that, he doesn't really like or believe in the concept enough to give it the full weight it deserves.

Now before anyone comes in here and says, "the concept is weak, it's giant robots, G1 was just a toy commercial," please kindly shut it. If you believe these things, why are you here? Why do you like Transfomers at all?

I know I speak for a lot of us when I say that Transformers is a very good sci-fi concept with a lot of potential beyond being "kewl." All of us who read the Marvel comics series know that there's "more than meets the eye" to this very concept.

Bay doesn't believe this. He gives more screentime to human characters, his rationale being that you need a human hook, that people won't watch two hours of robots interacting.

I readily admit that the cost of focusing on TFs the entire time or majority of the time would be tremendous. But that doesn't mean the humans should take the forefront.

For example, ROTF didn't need the following human characters:

*Sam's parents
    *Sam's roommate
    *Simmons

These characters were ultimately useless and were only included because of contracts with the actors. They are not necessary in any way to the story, and while the parents were funny in the first film, they were really just there to satisfy contractual obligation.

Plot-wise, does anyone really believe that Sam Witwicky would just go back to being a regular kid and want a regular life after the events of the first film? Would you? What teenager wouldn't want to hang out with giant robots and maybe even start hanging out with the military, who I'm sure would want to rename and relocate him for national security reasons?

My point is that Bay doesn't really buy into the concept, hence the focus on humans (who of course are needed to some degree) and the stupid robot humor.

I think we'd have been better off with a director who would have bought the concept and tried to make it more mature sci-fi. I can think of a dozen directors who could have done that and the films would've still been as successful.

Prime

2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    But....but... chicks...and explosions.... it was a good movie right?

3. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

its not bay, its the writers who arent giving it the weight it deserves. they have said it in numerious interviews that they didnt even want to do the movie and had to be convinced to do it....

4. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

I don't think he gives more screen time to humans because he doesn't like Transformers. I think he has to because its expensive to animate the robots.

While we're on the subject. I was disappointed with the Animation CGI. At some points it looked very fake beginning with the thing that flew in to do Sam's brain scan. It looked like something out of "Clash of the Titans". The forest battle seemed very fake too and I was surprised because in the commercial it looks great. Now, I saw it at IMAX could it be that IMAX distorts the quality of the film?

5. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I disagree, Bay has hit the nail on the head (not that it is hard to do).

Transformers has always been about a war between two races (Autobot and Decepticon) that has lasted millions of years and has found it's way to earth.

The premise is really that simple when it comes to Transfomers, Autobots fight Decepticons for the fate of Earth and the effect on humans.

As far as science fiction goes of course it is sci-fi. Do you see any giant alien robots running around the Earth? I sure don't.