Michael Bay Transformers Press Conference Transcript

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by VaterKrieg, Jun 20, 2007.

1. VaterKrieg

VaterKrieg Super Awesome Professor

Ebay:
  2. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    that was a really good interview haha i love how Michael comes off as a jack ass lol its amazing he has to direct the sequel...

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Highlight, Print! Thanks.

Edit: How do we apply for Transformers School???:lol 

4. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

i.e. see how big of a splash Transformers make then they can negotiate from there ;) 

EDIT: After reading more... If anything, you have to give Bay props for sticking with his vision. I rather a director stay with his of vision than compromising it.

5. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Very good point.
    Bay went into this with his own ideas and any decent director should stick with them to the end - Accept input certainly, but not compromises from multiple sources. There's nothing worse than a movie made by committee.

6. Masterpiece Devastator

Masterpiece Devastator Well-Known Member

"Q: But you gave them lips.
    Bay: Well, because, you know we did a lot of facial studies, and emotion is so hard without that kind of movement. We tried it solid, it just didn't look right."
    Has anyone seen Iron Giant? That thin basically had no moith and the eyes were much less complicated, and it emoed more than some actors in Bays last few films. As to the flame helping dilineate between Op and Megatron. If thet looked less like scrapmetal that may help and besides Op is mostlyy Red and Blue and meg is grey (they sort of got tha right) I cant believe the flame are the thing that seperates them visually.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've been letting myself get excited about this in the last few weeks, but reading this bumps it up. His enthusiasm, even in print, is great.

8. Masterpiece Devastator

Masterpiece Devastator Well-Known Member

Oh and I do not think being a fan of the source material would have hindered his "vision" for the movie. Just like Ang Lee should have been a fan of the Hulk, a Transformers fan should have been this director. It would help them understand the core character and know what is needed for the correct tone of this movie. AND what not to mess with. MATRIX = Allspark/ Energon Cube? No Arc? WTF?

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    they can't use matrix because of the matrix movies.
    and the "Ark" (not arc) is from G1. this isnt G1. RID, Armada and Energon didnt have Arks either.

Did you notice that Iron Giant's design lends itself to not having lips, along with the fact that it wasnt photo-realistic CGI?

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Great attitude :thumb 

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

:lol  It sounds like he was offended by that.

Just from what I've seen in clips the move does seem to have a Spielberg element to it.

12. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I get the impression that, even though he says he's a huge Transformers fan now, he looks down on the franchise as nothing more than a kid's cartoon or an elaborate toy commercial (which it is for the most part, let's be honest). I don't feel a whole lot of respect coming from him about the subject matter or the fans. However, I think that distance probably helped him create an original vision of the Transformers, one that will work on the big screen.

13. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Renegade

We're really not the nicest of fandoms. Really. They sent death threats during Beast Wars, and now Bay had said that he had some death threats. I really wouldn't look to fondly on the fandom either. I still don't at times. He's pretty much right about a lot of things that he mentions. Like you said and Bay mentions, this all started out as a toyline and cartoon. I like Bay movies for the most part. All except 2 really. But I think he does judge his own movies more critically, which is fine with me. I'm kinda the same way at times. That's what I got out of the interview.

I think he did right for what needs to be done to make this movie a success. Do I agree with everything he does? No. But is he the right guy for a movie like this? Yes. 100%. I'm just glad we didn't get Paul W.S. Anderson.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I love how he just rambles off the subject at times, where they have to ask the question again:lol 

That was definitely a fun read

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe he's a fan of HIS Transformers universe. The one Bay, Paramount and Hasbro created for this movie. If he was a superfan of G1 or any other era, then the movie would be more skewed toward those specific designs. As it stands, I couldn't be happier with the choices that have been made for this movie.

16. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Fans don't like change and they'll fight to the death to keep things as they are. If you like G1, nothing else compares. Hell, I hated Beast Wars until I gave it a chance and now I think it's better than any other series before or since. I may very well have the same reaction to the movie despite the things I don't like about it. My anticipation for this movie has reached Star Wars levels and that just doesn't happen very often.

THANK GOD we didn't wind up with Paul W.S. Anderson. Talk about a disaster...

17. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    awesome interview. he knows what he's doing. and I agree with the point made that he's a fan of HIS Transformers. THIS movie made him a fan and I wouldn't doubt that if he makes another flick he'll dive a little deeper into the mythos and take the fandom a little more seriously now that the majority (it seems) has his back in all this.

and I lol'd about the little kids laughing about the masturbating jokes.

18. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Honestly, are there ANY a-list big-budget directors out there who are Transformers fans? I know I wouldn't want a random boardie to helm Transformers.

Besides, I have a feeling that even if a hardcore fan made Transformers, the fact that he would have touched so close to G1 would have probably pissed off the hardcore who felt he got some facts wrong, or didn't do it "just right," and at the same time it would irk some people who are just tired of G1 this, G1 that.

Considering the kinds of directors and budgets they give to other "geek" movies, I'd say we lucked out and the attention TF got is almost mind-blowing.

It could have been another Daredevil or Ghost Rider but Transformers is huge, its everywhere.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    its a good thing that bay wasnt a fan before doing the movie. it saved the fandom the trouble of bitching and declaring who the "real fans" are, and if the director was one, and worrying about which universe and which interpretation of that universe he was going to be influenced by the most.

20. Drive-By

Drive-By Eschew Obfuscation...

Quoted for truth.

I can definitely respect his approach to things. And as an earlier poster said, it takes some balls on his part to stick to his guns, especially knowing how rabid the fan base is.