Michael Bay Transformers Movie Hatred Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by 3.8TransAM, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

I grudgingly accepted the first movie as mediocre but accepted it as reality for a new generation and cartoon to big screen will change no matter what.

I payed to see ROTF and wanted ym money back 20 min's into the movie.

So here is my review of Dark Of The Moon

My 4th of July weekend would be better if I got my $15 back for seeing that piece of shit abortion Michael Bay called a movie.

Quit reading if u don't want spoilers, however continue reading if u want to save your money for something worth watching.

DARK OF THE MOON SUCKS ASS. I almost didn't waste my time to go see it after paying to watch Revenge of the Michael Bay Abortion Fallen......

Horribly, sadly, disgustingly disappointed in nearly all aspects of it.... Only redeeming part of the movie is the last 30 min when they blow up Chicago(I wish it was real and I was in the middle of it after sitting thru the movie).

But come on, Shockwave a pushover? Megatron is a bitch? Sentinel Prime is a traitor............................. Big bad fight scenes lasting 30 seconds till someone gets either chopped in half or beheaded with great looking fake "blood" splattering everywhere.

Victoria Secret girls highlight was her butt going up the stairs since she very obviously can't act. Collagen lips don't work on a 20 yr old. She could have used the money towards boob job or something.

John Malkovich crap? Did they even need that shit in the movie?

Are Sam's parents dead yet? If not they need to be, great plot device for the next movie "Transformers:Oops I slipped and Stepped on your Parents"

Don't forget leg humping action from your transformable toaster that manages to take down a giant spaceship. Oh wait, I forgot they replaced the ghetto twins from the prior movie, u do remember they weren't going to do stupid humor in this movie that literally pissed off and offended some fans in the one prior.

Let's not forget the completely forgettable Agent Simmons, what a fucking wanker, nuff said. I didn't think they could make him more of a douche than the prior movie, but Summers Eve brought the pain on this one.

Someone tell me what bullshit (badly written childrens(young childrens) at that) humor really doing in a movie about giant robots from another planet who for all intents and purposes are fighting to the death with each other?

Too many disconnects, too many plot holes, too much shitty acting, too much shitty badly writing humor and dialogue, too much buildup for nothing and way too much over hyped crap....

Sideswipe sounds like a retarded Mario from the crappy Mario Bros. cartoon back in the day.

What were the Turd-tronians? Let's feed the baby Transformers so they can get big and strong. I bet the next one has bot on bot action and I'm not talking about the fight scenes if u catch my drift. I was waiting for one to hang of Megatron's teets.

Way too many suck up reviews I've read and no one who didn't like it has posted their own opinion, so I'm throwing mine out there. Girlfriend hated it too, seen others here with the same opinion as well.

I like G1, but I realize movies will go in another direction from their origins, like X-Men or Batman, but at least some of those movies were quality and appeased the fans as well as the masses(or a majority at least), outside of the first Transformers movie(which I liked, not loved and would rate mediocre) the rest of the trio have been poorly written comedies they try to thread an intergalactic robot civil war thru.

Love it or hate, it's what I think.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Weak Decepticons. Poor robot characterization. Pointless, silly human characters. Unnecesary toilet humor. BAD WRITING.

I'm glad Bay and company are gone. Now give us a proper live-action Transformers saga, please.

3. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

this pic says it all about this thread...
    [​IMG]

4. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I wouldnt describe DOTM quite as harshly as you do. I had real low expectations for this movie, and in the end I guess I got the action I needed.
    However, I think all your points are valid, this isnt a good movie by any standard.
    So while the action was good and effects pretty awesome, I was also bored, annoyed and confused for large parts of the movie.

5. darkeclipse

darkeclipse Active Member

You should hate yourself for seeing ROTF in theaters and mentioning Michael Bay

/HATERS GONNA HATE

6. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Bite your lip 3.8TransAm, this is going to hurt.

Franchise movies can be done one of two ways: they hew close to the source material, or they generalize/extrapolate to appeal to a broader audience. Now before you say, why can't the source material appeal to a broader audience, the answer is fandoms of all sorts, from Transformers to Star Trek to Star Wars take details for granted. It's these details (rather than general plot) that add flavor to a production and typically makes a die hard fan like or dislike it. The amount of details it takes to satiate the most hardcore and inflexible of fans, isn't realistic for a general appeal movie.

In that vein, I would like to point out Batman, which you refenced. What you may not realize is that the success of the Nolan franchise was no sure thing: in fact, he only did the movie to gain the production experience necessary to make Inception. When Batman Begins was being produced, and after the fact there was some intentional haziness as to whether this was a "new continuity", a "prequel" to the Burton series, a "one-off" or something inbetween. It's status was further complicated by the fact that the movie's principal villains, Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul, were queued up for the unproduced sequel to Batman Forever, Batman Triumphant, before that project was shut down. They were utilized explicitly to avoid retreading territory the Burton series covered. But with the Dark Knight, its fair to say, that Batman Begins is much more the "Superhero" movie than the Dark Knight. Some people have even called TDK "Law and Order: Gotham City". With the first film, there were all these questions surrounding why is the film being done in this way. The second film simply answered those questions by saying "because it's our movie (Nolan's), and we're doing it our way". Harvey Dent was killed for the purposes of the movie, the Batsignal is already gone, and we've met a very, very different Joker.

Transformers is the same. Hewing close to the source material gets you TMNT. You do remember that right? Oh wait you don't. It was super-faithful CG movie that came out a couple of years ago. Critically acclaimed it made a paltry $97 million. That's as much as Transformers made Thursday and Friday. It lead that particular franchise on a one way ticket back to Nicktoons.

Being a Purist, rather than flexible about interpretations is toxic to franchises. Don't believe me? Go to a Star Trek board as ask fans of that franchise how their doing. Well this is how. They spent about 20 years, wasting time asking for dumb things like a "gay character" to showcase Star Trek's tolerance of difference (or something hippy like that), while the bread and butter casual fan of the franchise left it for every concession its producers made to the purists. Fans were surprised that ratings fell off a cliff and lead to cancellation. Fans were surprised when a Star Trek Nemesis sequel was canned, and the reboot put in its place. And right now, fans are despondent because "Star Trek 2", a sequel to a very un-pure reboot, will be made only when J.J. Abrams gets around to it, and he has like, 2 movies he intends to make first. They may see Star Trek 2 by May 2013.

So that could be Transformers. We could get be living with a franchise with five years between entries. Or one that loves its history and established fanbase far too much, and is currently living in cable obscurity. Instead we have one that has tremendously good word of mouth, has Optimus and Megatron become household name, has made about $1.5 billion dollars, and in all 3 films, pushed the technical limits of the film industry (CG in #1 and #2, 3D in #3). Some critics call the last hour of DotM as important to the action genre as Terminator 2 was. They call it a game changer because of the use of technology and the richness of the vision. Go watch Green Lantern and Thor... their climaxes are positively tame compared to it.

Oh and on top of that, we have three Transformer films in 6 years of production. The only director to be deeper involved in a single licensed franchise that I can think of is Peter Jackson and Lord of the Rings.

That's why your argument makes no sense. What you want is selfish. Are there things I wish the film and film series in general had? Yes, certainly. I WISH there more Decepticon scenes. I wish Megatron was a bit more G1ish and I wish there was more space/Cybertron action. But do I think these are bad films because of it? Hell no. I can live with Starscream having a different characterization from Chris Latta, or Armada, or Animated, because I got to see the sheer spectacle of the character fighting with helicopters in IMAX 3D. It was an incredible thing to see.

I'm going to put this plainly: fans who have gripes with DotM don't get it. There were so many throw aways (that was Comisc Rust that killed Iron Hide, for instance) and little gifts to fandom, but the overall pacing and plot of the film was tight and logical. But really any more aderence to the source material than we are presented with would have produced a soup of a film that was already too much to digest for some folks. We take for granted that Autobots have blue eyes and Decepticons red, for example. Many people don't know that.

But this is what makes it for me: I can go tell my friends, on facebook... go, see Transformers. It's a great movie, and if you can see it in IMAX 3D for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It's worth the $17 ticket.

Would I do that with a more small scale, quote "real Transformers movie"? No. Because I know what that movie looks live. We've seen it before. It's called TMNT. It's called Clone Wars. It's called (to a degree) G.I. Joe. It's called Green Lantern, which is the most faithful source-to-screen live action adaptation I've ever seen, written by Green Lantern comic writers no less. And it was pretty mediocre at best.

No, I'll take my Bayformers, all $1.5 billion of them. It allows me to put a Decepticon chrome sticker on my car, and not feel like a tool. You can keep your narrow vision.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    how clever :rolleyes2 

8. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

GREAT THREAD!
    WTF was Bay friggen dedicating this film to Rosie Huntington-Whiteley !??!? with so much time wasted with flattering shots of her! i mean the whole friggen time she's in heels! and those who think she did a good job acting WHAT THE FUCK what film where you watching?
    the story made me feel this film was pretty much a stand alone film and not actually linked to the others AND that it was everything Battle Los Angeles and Skyline wanted to be PITTY it wasn't everything a TF film wanted to be
    so anyway I never went in thinking i was going to get a good story OR even good writing and accepted all the shit that was going to be in this film and just wanted to see some nice robots and all these new modes n shit.... well WTF happened to THAT!??!?! Optimus's trailer is glossed over, the weapon modes are briefly shown of all but the NASCAR dick heads . i really wanted an expected a admittedly wanky scene of the Autobots gearing up for a showdown adding new weapons and having some explanation as to where they might have got the ability to do so,even humans with all this keeping of secrets and study of Cybertron tech why the hell where they not geared up ?
    so again we didn't get that good a look at Sideswipe nor fucking Dino(grr) Shockwave might as well have not been in the film the whole basis of why a transformer transforms is contradicted by Decepticons flying not just major space craft but fighter jets!?!?!?!?
    sooo much time wasted with anything other than robots!??!
    soo um if Megatron is now damaged and in such bad condition that he had to take the form of a rusty old truck and hide in Africa then how did he get to the US?
    did anybody feel Sentinal Prime's character was actually written as in fact NOVA PRIME?!?!?!?
    another thing I thought was this time they thought aaaah stuff it lets just have them transform into anything and not bother making them resemble the alt mode in robot form ie Brains and Lazerbeaks many forms AND WHY THE HELL does EVERY TF have to talk!??!?!?!? is this film written for people whom are SOOO dumb they could not figure out Lazerbeak is BAD?!?!? (YES)
    and really these films have more silliness than non space alien robot films !
    and that's it really BAY aims these films at the children of those upper middle class morons who like Jennifer Aniston films and watch Oprah for lifestyle tips!
    well I'm not any of hem SO FUCK YOU BAY YOUR FILMS SUCK ASS

9. Terrorsaur128

Terrorsaur128 UNICRON

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Thing is.,.there are some fans ( a few in this thread) that I get the felling hate the movies becuase it is Bay that does them. It wouldent mather if they got priased they would still hate it. You eagerly search the movies to find every little itsy bit of fault in them, name one movie you like and I shall do the sam,e to that and I can shoot it down just as you done with the DOTM.

Sure some ppl dont like the movie and that is alright as taste is diffrent but some of the bashing some ppl let out it really comes off as "Bay you ruined Transformers for me, I hate you go and die".

11. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    So, can we just focus all of the hatred in this thread so we don't have to deal with it in every single other thread, resulting in the spam and flame wars that have made the Movie Forum lose all of it's credibility? Because that would be AWESOME.

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Who's the bigger hater: the hater, or the hater who hates the hater? Lol!
    As a lot of you on the forums probably know by now, I bitch and moan, criticize, and pretty much tell it like it is about the Bayformers movies, but even I'll admit, I think the OP is laying it on pretty thick, but he has some valid points there, which I can agree with. Even though I do like the movies for the over rated B movies that they are; they do have their upsides as well.

13. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

that one hellova long ALMOST well written waist of time!!! trying to claime that without being watered down with silliness and bad writing TRANSFORMERS FILMS could not exist!!!
    and so what if they made one REALLY FAITHFUL film for the fans and WE loved it but it didn't get that good ratings and therefor no sequels ,THAT'S BETTER THAN 3 SHITHOUSE FILMS!
    and the examples you used did nothing for your argument! the BATMAN films hold the foundations of BATMAN strong and only AD to the telling and LOTR's is so much for the fans of the books ! it's just that some story's are going to appeal by there very nature to a different number of people but to suggest that the bastardization of a franchise to meet some imagined standard of what the general public would like?!? HELL why not ad vampires and teenage boyfriend girlfriend wizard romantic comedy gay soldier 911 reality cooking losing weight finding your family tree political dancing shit and really do a job of it!

14. StrifeZ

Ebay:
    HAIL_KING_PRIME's post is the EXACT thing I'm talking about.

Good golly good gosh, Sentinel Prime's characterization was more like NOVA PRIME's?!?! WHY wasn't he called that?

Because Nova prime is a minor character nobody cares about from an obscure comic book that nobody reads that's produced by a publisher that hires talent nobody else will. Do you think the artist on "Heart of Darkness" will ever land a job at Marvel? I..... don't think so.

But just in case you weren't paying attention, HAIL_KING_PRIME, Bay threw you your slab of source-material meat. The Autobot ship crewed by the Wreckers is called nothing less than the "Xantium". Huzzah. Isn't your day brighter now?

So here we have exhibit A, a silly little gripe about one character named one thing, and not another thing, while an equally "gracious" source material reference is sitting right under your nose.

Would it really have been a better film if it had been Nova Prime? Or maybe if everyone's favorite Wreckers showed up? Or hell if Dino was called "Mirage" the one time he was called Dino?

If you want a cameo from your favorite (crap, poor selling, badly written) comic book continuity, I would direct you to X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Those two films gorged themselves on everyone's favorite mutant cameos. They had fucking Arclight for pity's sake. I was a huge 90s and early 2000s X-Men fan and I had to fucking google who Arclight was (an obscure character from the mid 1980s who showed up a couple of years ago after a 23 year absence).

If your vision of Transformers is something along the lines of X-Men 3, let's just say, you'll be hard pressed to call that an improvement.

15. kraven

kraven Decepticon

:bay :bay :bay :bay :bay 

Michael Bay says about this thread: LOL!!! Flame on bitches! Lemme go grab some money I made from these movies to keep the fire going, I sure as hell dont need it all!

Ok but seriously, these movies wernt that bad. Jebus.

16. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, this thread is.. entertaining. Gotta see what is in store tomorrow:lol 

inb4lock

17. mgtron1

mgtron1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is the reason why I hate these boards...It specifically states this discussion forum is for people who hate the movie, then we have to have a**holes who kiss Bays butt come in and try to trash our opinions trying to make themselves look "high and mighty". I am sick of it. If you loved the movie, you have your place to discuss your views. We hated the movie, and what happened to our right to do the same thing without you degrading us and coming into a forum which really should not concern you...

18. StrifeZ

Ebay:

Oh thank you for reply, you said exaxctly what I wanted you to say. Namely this:
    the BATMAN films hold the foundations of BATMAN strong and only AD to the telling and LOTR's is so much for the fans of the books

There are a great many Batman comic fans who would tell you quite the opposite, that Batman Begins, and to a greater degree, The Dark Knight, has almost nothing of the core of the Batman comics "foundation" in them. Batman trained by Ras Al' Ghul? The Rachel Dawes character and the effect of her death on Batman? Lucius Fox being in Batman's inner circle? No Robin by Year 3? Gordon tolerating corruption in his unit to fight the mob? I mean, especially that last item is a deviation along the lines of the Bayverse "killer" Optimus. So to me, its funny you think Batman is true to the foundation, when many Batman fans would say that the only thing it has in common is character names and the general caped-vigilante premise. In essence, they are you, for their franchise.

Lord of the Rings is even a bigger deal, because it was actually impossibe to adapt the fullness of language and history-through linquistics that Tolkien incorporated into his work, into the films. Major aspects of the film series were changed. In the novels, Strider accepted his destiny to reclaim the throne of Gondor when he was in his thirties, 50 years before LotR. In the film, he's pushed into it by Elrond, ostensibly to save Arwen's life. In the books, Strider leaves Rivendell with the reforged Narsil (Anduril). In the film, Elrond delivers the sword to him in Return of the King. In the novel, the Battle of Helms Deep lasts 2 and a half pages. In the film, it lasts about an hour. In the novel Theoden was demoralized and possibly poisned by Grima Wormtounge, not actually spiritually possessed by Saruman. Gandhalf won Theoden over with a logical argument in the novel, rather than by an exorcism as in the film. And most notably, in the film the Deadmen of Dunharrow devour the Host of Mordor just as they were about to massacre the population of Minas Tirith. This completely changes the point of the one big set-piece battle the LotR trilogy did have, because it was crucial to Tolkien, writing about the end of the age of the "faire" and "magic" to show men and men alone, through force of arms and courage, winning against the host of Mordor. To win the fourth age, men had to do it alone, without elves and without help. Peter Jackson changed that completey.

These are massive changes to a very carefully written piece of work, and one that has been analyzed for literary consistency far closer than Transformers, and has an older, perhaps larger fanbase. You know how they dealt with LotR films? A tiny minority spat on it. But most deeply appreciated the effort Peter Jackson made, recognized the impossibility of adapting the richness of the text to film, and hoped that the films would encourage people to read the books.

And they did! I am a case study in that. I didn't read the books until after the film, and I'm sorry that's the case. The films are some of the finest ever made, but it comes in no way close to the depth of the world Tolkien writes about.

With Transformers films, this is the part that I don't understand about fans like you. The films should be an invitation into a deeper world, where Nova Prime is a character of importance, Ultra Magnus is the enforcer of the Tyrest Accord, and Thunderwing exists. If you just want call outs to all your favorite pieces of story material... from Straxxus to Moonbase One to maybe Cybertronium or "Hound", you really aren't interested in having a Transformers film. What you're interested in is a series of call out and favors done to you, by the production staff.

You know what that gets you? A minor film that makes $95 million its entire run. Which is why the film you want will never and can never get made.

Lots of Transfans are cool with that. Most LotR fans are cool with that. And even many rabid Batfans are overjoyed at the success of the Dark Knight even though if it is farther from their character than Bayverse TFs are from ours.

You should grow up and deal with it too. That's really the last thing I have to say on the matter.

19. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

But I like all the cool new toy engineering that was gained from the funds provided by the films. I don't hate what brings me new shineys to feed my plastic addiction.
    Well except for the fact DOTM Sideswipe was not shiny and that made me rage.

20. kraven

kraven Decepticon

So saying "these movies wernt that bad" is kissing Bays ass and and saying I love these movies? As for the comment I made before that, it was kind of a joke. Ya know, just messin' around? Im sure you've heard of it, yes? Lighten up buddy, it's teh internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.