Michael Bay talks Transformers on IESB.net

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

IESB.net secured a brief 2-3 minute interview with Michael Bay at the premier of Texas Chainsaw Massacre

You can view the video of the interview here

2. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

He states that they finished the movie last night and when the Transformers transform its thousands of moving parts. Im freakin stoked, I hope they do pic the original megatron voice actor, they still havent decided..

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "This is definitely not a movie about toys" - I'm sure Hasbro loved hearing that.

"Transformations with literally thousands of moving parts":confused2 

4. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Complaints that this obviously means 'Exploding parts' in 3...2...1...

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I want a t-shirt!

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sure he meant that it will be more than an advertisement for the toys.

7. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    No, I want HIS T-shirt

8. Shaun_C

Well if this movie has to appeal to the general audience. And I don't think that following the 30 min TV commercial format of the prior TF shows will be the way to go. I think you're taking that statement 1)Too litterally or 2)You're thinking too linearly when hearing that statement

That's how I interpreted it & I don't see how that's a bad thing. This way the story can be motivated by telling a good story rather then motivated by selling toys

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    The way I look at it, they are trying to go beyond what is expected, and beyond the notion that its a toy based movie. If anything a more serious approach to it to stand alone as a great movie, and as a great transformers branded endeavor. I do have my doubts but if anything I hold some optimism as well.

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Well im Mikes mind he must relate Transformers to toys, so he states that "This is not a movie about toys." He must not know about the whole Transformers universe, well I mean he may now, but he must not get it.. Its just a movie and some money to him..

11. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    XMEN, Pirates of the Carr., Fantastic 4, Incredible Hulk, Batman, etc. are all movies not about toys yet they all sold toys (granted a lot of the toys didn't do so hot because they were crummy), so I still expect movie based toys to sell well.

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't really expect he'd go "This is going to be the best goddamn toy commercial EVER!!" :lol 

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Pretty much. Bay knows what he wants to get out a scene, but I assume there's not much more he cares about, so long as he's pretty sure he'll put people in theatre seats. Bay simply directs how scenes from a script are delivered visually; his interest in Transformers toys, their storyline, etc., is probably nonexistent. You've gotta remember that, even though Hasbro and the movie production staff (Murphy, Bay, etc.) made what LOOKS like a request for fandom input, very little of our critical input has been acknowledged.

Each person working on this film can spin it however they want. The bottom line is that Hasbro, Paramount and Dreamworks are trying to make a whole lot of money by appealing to a whole lot of people. That's why they're getting paid. So long as the money rolls in from this film, they'll be satisfied.

It's unfortunate that we didn't get graced with a director, writer or producer who seemed more passionate about respecting the source material, but c'est la vie. Orci, Murphy and Bay have all defined their understanding and appreciation of Transformers pretty well - "It's, uh, great. Giant transforming robots, right? Optimus Prime and the theme song and shit? Yeah, let's make a movie about that!"

I mean, heck - that's all it is, if you boil this totalled interest into a basic definition - Giant transforming robots. However, it's unfortunate that that's the SUM of what we're getting.

14. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

The story of nigh mythic giant transforming robots caught in an endless war stuck with humans in the middle through divine intervention that while tongue-in-cheek loves to go out on dramatic overtones.

Boild down to the bones thats TF. How they do it is all in the presentation.

Thousands of moving parts is not exploding. Its just... complicated. Like, Bumblebees hood folds down, the front radiator flips inside and the sides of that form the chest, but not before the fender split in peice to reassemble into the crotch bit... Um... See, there is a method to the transformation. It will be staged and look like a transformation. Just involve all those fiddly bits we never usually see.

Exploding is the entire vehicle particle/vertex morphing.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's hard for me to believe they finished filming already. That's a hell of a long time in post production. The CGI ought to be nothing short of amazing. And if they do put those shirts up for sale on his website, you can count me in.

16. Backscatter

News Credits:
    I was merely stating that Hasbro might not appreciate the remark. I love it when I get "read into" :) 

17. Shaun_C

Well if I misinterpreted then I misinterpreted. I'm not too proud to own up to a mistake. So Backscatter, my apologies :) 

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd be totally sold on the movie if he DID say that! XD

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That would be a little too much truthiness for the likes of Bay.

20. Backscatter

News Credits:
    No harm, no foul. Roll out! Cheers!