Michael Bay shoots fast!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Jun 13, 2008.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    A long time ago, I was watching one of Michael Bay's behind the scenes featurettes on a DVD and then he mentioned that he likes to shoot fast. And then one of the cast and crew mentioned the same thing about Michael Bay. I always wondered what that meant at the time.

Critics always talked about his "rapid-fire" editting so I thought that, that was what it meant.

But after watching more and more of his DVDs and then listening to his commentaries, he mentioned it again stating that he likes to shoot fast and he compared how many "set-ups" he does in one day compared to other directors.

After that, I realized that , Michael Bay SHOOTS FAST!! And Transformers 2 is a great example of that.

In Transformers, they completed principal photography ahead of schedule. For Transformers 2, it feels like they're either in a rush or they are going to be well ahead of schedule and I know that Michael Bay is having a good time because he is taking the time out of his busy schedule to welcome spectators on the set to take a closer look, talk to them, sign autographs and pose for photos, which is really cool of him by the way. It shows how much he appreciates the fan base.

It started shooting on June the 2nd and they've been filming at:

Bethlehem City Steel
    The Italian Market
    The Castle at UPENN
    The Cemetary
    32nd and Chestnut

The other places where people have seen the Autobots are just holding areas or base camps so they're not necessarily shooting there.

But anyways, it looks like the production is going great and really sounds like they going to be ahead of schedule and will have plenty of time to render those giant robots in CG. It has only been just over 10 days and they've gotten alot done so far. I know there's still ALOT to go and its pretty early into the shoot but with the way things are going so far, you can tell that its going to move quite smoothly, based on the way Michael Bay likes to get things done....and that is AWESOME!!

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :bay  I really do liek Micheal Bay as a director and person.He just seems like a cool, energetic guy who gets stuff done.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, as reserved as I've always been about some of his films... I can definently say that he's the type of guy who knows how to get things done. He also seems like he really enjoys what he's doing and if anything has ever sold me on him having a great sense of humor it was the recent Verizon commercials. BECAUSE HE'S AWESOME!! :bay 

4. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Im one of THE FEW, but when Michael Bay was annouced to direct Transformers, I was happy. He does car chases and explosions very well, and so I thought he would be a good fit. I never understood all the Bay hate, he's just not the guy that makes deep thought provoking movies, but his movies are always entertaining. I hope they gave him a better script, with more robot interaction and speech.

Only director I would prefer would be James Cameron.

5. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i was irritated at first when i heard it would be michael bay, but after reflecting carefully on his work, i realize that he is the perfect man for the job. it was goofy, awesome, epic, and totally explosive.
    and i think james cameron would have been a good choice, but i think he may have tried to make it too dark or too epic. but it still would have been awesome. just different.

it's funny, so many G1 fan boys complained about the movie being horrible and stupid and ridiculous...but in all honesty, nobody can say that the original cartoon wasn't retarded as well. it was a kid's show. retarded, but awesome. just like MB's version.
    :bay 

6. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Way to pigeon hole all G1 fans like they dont have a say. Personally I do like my movies with more depth and better interaction. There are just flaws like the last minute choice to take the optimus megs battle and turn it into SAM kills megatron instead and optimus looks like a total puss. I admittedly love G1 but the problems with that movie are far from the continuity of the story.

Besides Brian Goldner ( Hasbro ) said this was a G1 themed movie from the start. :)  lol :)  I think the problem is that its not so much the differances of this version of Transformers compared to any cartoon but the way it was handled.

The problem I have with comparing this movie to the cartoon and giving it a pass is that the cartoon was made for penny's compared to this monster. Hell we have ILM on board I expect more from the movie at that point.

Not saying Bay didnt have some great redeeming qualities to the film the comedy and the overall style were good (actually Great) but the ending just fell to pieces. My hopes is that there was a rush to get the film done and it accounted for cut corners and the horrible pace at the end.

Chief examples of the good and the bad.

Blackouts intro :bay 

Blackouts death / exit :thumbdown 

Barricades intro :bay 

Barricades .... exit ???? :thumbdown 

Bonecrusher intro / exit :bay  thennnn :thumbdown  ( lots of build up then no reward scene cut short )

Jazz death / exit :thumbdown  ( was lame in the similar way they just offed bonecrusher I mean how easy is it to just kill characters its rediculous. Atleast make it mean something or give some build up)

Frenzy intro :bay 

frenzy exit/death oh wait whats this :bay  ( this character was handled correctly while the death seems meaningless at least its built up properly and really well done )

alot of the scenes start off with great beginning but fail to have a middle then just jump straight to the end.

Hell the most interesting fight in the movie is BB and Barricade and you cant even see whats going on at all. Similar to the ops megs fight you never see them except for when ops is being tossed to the ground.

Bay did a great job on the direction of the art style and helping with the understanding how car parts should look when lit. Seriously that alone helped sell the realism and he gets an A+ but little things that mean alot is where the film lacks.

I think some want to like this movie so much they look past the fact it was pretty shallow and told little to nothing about the main characters of the film.

7. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    bay rocks :rock 

8. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    that would be because of the awful editing, which we can expect more of given that the editor signed on for TF2 also edited Revenge of the Sith, the film with the worst editing i have ever seen in my life.

9. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

maybe they ll do the franken vador ending with jazz at the end and then he turns into "the fallen " . :) 

Im only hoping that the success of the first one gives Bay some more time to do some TLC on the editing. Long as Shia isnt the only one killing decepticons the second has to be better than the first.

I think Mike Bay has it in him to make an Epic film that caters to action and the depth some of us would like. You can see it in some of his shots. One of the best scenes in any movie for which he probably doesnt see alot of credit is towards the end when mikaela and sam split up as he needs to take the cube away, he could of gone with the cliche kiss and made it generic but instead he went with a lens flare camera shot that said more than anything could of.

I would love to be surprised by part 2 and right now I think the new bots we have heard of for part 2 mean good things all around for all TF fans.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    They may have completed the location shoots on time, but there may be plenty of soundstage or backlot work left to be done. Remember that a lot of the shootout in Mission City was a backlot (I'm not saying they'll re-use it - hell, they probably can't, due to that fire) and most of the Sector 7 undergrounds and government facilities were probably soundstages with some/lots of bluesreen added in. No matter what the formula is for Transformers 2 is, I'd bet there's at least another month or two of "behind closed doors" filming left to do.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    They might shoot fast, but they need to work on editing as well.

12. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Just like how a lot of people were saying they didn't mind how long it took to write the script so long as it was a good story, I don't want Bay to "shoot fast" if that means we will get crappy quality.

I'd rather he take his time and not rush things. Its when you go fast that you make mistakes. Slow and steady...slow and steady...

13. krade

krade Well-Known Member

in sports,they are those who perform under high pressure and made them great athletes.BAY is one of those guy.he see a mile ahead what is gonna do in the next scene and know how that seen will look on screen.he had his vision and doesn't need multiple take to get what he want.

he know how to get great performance from actor to plane,robots to boats,he made them alive because he know the best angle to shoot them.the guy got talent.he will never do oscar stuff and i hope will we never because they're for the most,bad movie.i'm french canadian and got opportunity to watch french,american and quebec movie and the best for me are those with action.BAY is one of those that make me watch american movies.

14. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:

Yeah i totally agree. I don't believe that he is actually rushing but instead he knows what needs to be in the future and they're gonna get it done.

Never mind the post production and editting stuff, but when it comes to shooting, he knows exactly what he wants and he is a no nonsense kind of guy yet he can still have a lot of light-hearted fun about it.

The only other guy who can full off a good Sci-Fi action film is James Cameron. But James Cameron's work ethic is totally different. He is the kind of guy that locks all the doors and keep Leo Dicaprio in the cold water and say "nobody is going anywhere, not even to go take a leak, until this shot is done!!!!!!!!!!"

15. mechabot-1

mechabot-1 Banned

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

warning: giant Bay love fest above!!!!

16. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    You are right when you say that Bay shoots fast, but when you think about it, it's really necessary. TF2 is going for a June 26th 2009 release. The faster they finish the shooting, the more time they have for recording dialogue, and animating the Transformers! :) 

17. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    All I'm saying is this. Bay's movies are great eye candy. Bad Boys 2 had the most contrived cliche'd, generic cop buddy movie script ever. But watching it was :bay 

The man knows how to appeal to the eye. I know movies can be more than eye candy, but sometimes they don't have to be.

I mean if a sexy Brazilian chick is trying to get with you, and she's a ditz, you probably don't start instantly complaining about her lack of depth... :p 

18. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I agree, Bad Boys 2 was alot of fun to watch but the main purpose for slower moments was to bring you to the next action sequence.

The first Bad Boys movie had better character interaction.

Hopefully with Transformers 2, he can make up for the lack of character in the first one and yet have both great action without compromising story and character development.

I have faith in him :) 

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A lot of people bust his balls a lot, but I think he is a pretty good director. He knows what he wants to do and he gets it done, on budget. I honestly could not see someone else directing these movies, and I think they made the right choice.

20. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Transformers is the movie Michael Bay was born to direct.