Michael Bay Fires Back At Hugo Weaving

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Igniting_Prime, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What Bay said is true, no doubt about that...but it doesn't really relate to what Weaving was saying. Weaving was just saying that the job he took on as Megatron wasn't really all that big or important to him. He did the job, he got out and he had no idea how the lines played into the context of the movie or what they meant...that's fine.

Bay is saying actors should stop complaining and be happy they have a job in the first place, especially one that is so well paid. Anyways, both of them are right and fair in their statements, but neither or the statements really connect. Bay's 'response' seems directed at a larger group--maybe even Shia now that I think about it (didn't he complain about being in TF movies because of the large budget and whatnot of blockbusters?) and less so weaving's statement alone

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    :lol 

3. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

man, i didn't read the other threads about the interview, but i'm just seriously blown away by how much people are offended by Weavings innocuous comments. ALL he said was that he wasn't invested in the role. Hell, Bay obviously didn't even make an effort to reach out to him either. Why should he care about it? Why should he want to do it again? If you have people looking to put you in films you care about, why go back to a franchise that made almost zero use of your talents? I think any number of other people would have been far more vocal about feeling undervalued or misused, and yet in this case we haven't heard anything about it until years after the last movie was out.

Why is this a big deal to you?

4. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People are stupid like that.

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Anyone who think American's lack a sense of Irony needs to read this it's dripping in it.

Laugh.

6. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

So is the mob crowd still against Frank Welker getting back megatron for the movies.

Because he sounds so bad as Megatron Prime ( Sarcasm ). It had really only taken him about 3 weeks of voice work to make a more sinister G1 Megs. Im sure the movie Treatment would sound even better.

Weaving was a cliche voice for megs hated every minute of it. Sounded like you could literally use that voice on any bad guy. However with Welker you get an Iconic megatron that brings power with it in one syllable.

So since all you folks who said he couldnt hack megs anymore are clearly wrong wadda ya say. Welker to replace Weaving.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Obscenely rich & famous white guy with dream job that most people would kill for
    vs
    Obscenely rich & famous white guy with dream job that most people would kill for

How to pick sides...

8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Its all a PR campain for the next flick anyway.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Bays right on this one; at least it opens the door for Welker

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hahah

no shit.

funny, I would bet Cullen got 1/8th Hugo's pay and did a lot more work and better job at it as well.
    oh and if anyone talks to Bay, tell him I'll do the full VO for $100

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  11. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

HW was good.

But after Transformers Prime, Im totally fine with Frank Welker.

A nice deep, plotting voice. With a touch of meglomania and a synthasizer would do the trick for me...

12. yuujin-mikeru

yuujin-mikeru What's a Tu-Ran-Su-Fo-Ma?

News Credits:
    I wonder how the role of Megatron was pitched as when Hugo accepted the job. Did he know that he'll only have a few lines per movie and be one-dimentional snarling and growling most of the time?

13. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    My guess is he took it on a whim. If someone offers you the role of one of the most iconic characters in cartoon history in a big budget live action movie, nine times out of ten you'll accept it immediately.

Plus at the time, we had no idea how these movies would play out in the end.

14. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

I never really liked having Weaving as Megatron anyway. I just kept waiting for him to say Mr. Prime or something..

15. Prime_816

Prime_816 Well-Known Member

Hollywood's filled with egomaniacs.

16. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

Its always fascinating to hear Michael Bay talk about stuff like this, cause I think he has a very realistic and admirable view on things - regardless if you like is movies or not. Im with him on this one as well.

However, with that said: Weaving never red the script? WHAT THE FUCK MICHAEL BAY?! How is he supposed to delivere an amazing performance if he doesnt know his character?! I mean, sure, his performance was still amazing as Megatron, but omg. I hope he atleast got direction on it. I mean, Michael Bay atleast had to direct him, or else it would have been a total disaster.

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I suppose Frank has already stuck his toe in the water by doing movie game voices - and he's way cheaper than a "Named" actor.

I wonder if it's possible to bankrupt Michael Bay by donating idiotic amounts to elephant charities.

He'd probably not pay up though or whin about technicalities like he did when people pointed out Mudflap and Skids are both actually in DOTM and he offered to pay people who saw them - he said they had to see them "Perform".

Oh and If it was not for the shear idiocy of Michael Bay and the humour he provides by just being himself - I would suggest that Transformers fans and Transformers websites should probably be focusing on what we have and will get in terms of toys and TV shows (and Primus forfend Comics) and not be discussing Michael Bay's raving to much on a daily basis- it's talk better suited to a movie site as those Movies have more to do with Action Movie Culture than they do with Transformers in the wider sense.

Perhaps the Movie talk should be spun off completely to another site (I'm exaggerating a little perhaps)

But I'm just not that interested until I see Vehicle on a set or some art.
    This is like listening to Shia Labouf Talk - it's fun to take the P*** out of his ditzzyness but it's got nothing whatsoever to do with Transformers - it's just something fun to do like point out that Daniel Craig is wooden or Christian Bale puts his foot in his mouth.

But then I see Hollywood types in the same way a lot of people see the Banking industry. so I suppose Michael talking nonsense has a certain fun factor even if it is one that has nothing to do with Transformers and it's just him stiring up trouble.

I notice he didn't really address Hugo's point about his movies lacking much artistic merit though.

As to the issue of EGO I would say that it would have helped that complaint if Bay had removed the Devastator subtitle from the 2007 Movie or even spellchecked the subtitles on the DVD releases - as they still have the same spelling mistakes in them that have had since the 1st release.

18. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

I didn't Take Hugo's interview as complaining in any way. It was more a take on what mattered to him in his career and what didn't.

However... I take this as Micheal whining for no reason other than a hurt ego. (Someone didn't care about my movie? WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!)

19. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Much as it pains me to say this, I too agree with Bay... and not just in response to Weaving's comments (which I somewhat agree with too), but there is a thing called professionalism. Weaving's comments were inappropriate. He's part of several multi-million dollar franchises (Matrix, Transformers, LOTR), and should carry himself with a little bit of class, rather than poo-pooing stuff that HE CHOSE to do. Sam Jackson has been in some CRAPPY movies, but you know what? Several times he just laughs at himself in interviews and says "The check cleared, that's all I'm gonna say!" He didn't whine about artistic merit, etc.

Bay's right, too... Actors are being paid an insane amount of money to do what kids do for free with a few chunks of plastic and a sandbox. They work a few times a year, and spend the rest of the time attending charity events and brown-nosing each other. Whining about it is just as low class as the dillweeds in pro-sports who want more money to chase a ball, fill seats in an arena, and sell watered-down beer. Seriously.

20. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    hey i can do the voice over acting for Megatron :p 

seriously, Frank Welker should reprise his role that is rightfully his if they ever bring back Megatron.