Michael Bay did not design the movie transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SSR, Jun 8, 2011.

1. SSR

SSR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    during the hall of fame event when Michael Bay got up and started talking. He mentioned that Aaron Archer and Rik Alverez came up to him and showed him the concepts of what the want the movie transformers to be. It also showed the garbage looking movie prime transforming to what it is now was THEIR idea, not his. He just extrapolated it to what it is today.

After seeing this I thought differently about Michael Bay. I also think that hes a massive scapegoat for the people that are really making us cringe.

EDITED. -2005 Staff

2. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, you were under the impression that Michael Bay designed the movie characters and their toys?

REALLY?

3. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He OK'd the designs though, so that's just as bad.

4. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Yeah, the only "Bush moment" I see here is OP's assumption.

The guy is a director. Personally, one that I don't like, but he clearly does direct. What he ISN'T is a toy designer.

Anyone who ever thought he is doesn't know even the basics of how the world works.

Next you're going to complain that the CEO of Toyota didn't build and design your car, I guess.

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    So...
    First it was "The designs suck. DIE BAY DIE."
    Now it's "Bay didn't make the designs. So he's just a scapegoat. DIE BAY DIE."
    Ahhh, Transformers fandom... Never change!

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Just for the record, which names can we definitely credit the movie designs to?

7. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    My initial reaction.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

No he did not sit down with a pack of crayons to draw out the Transformers, or possibly just ball up a wad to tin foil to tell ILM something like that.

But directors get the early designs and they send them back to designer with notes on what needs to be changed for what they want for the film. A bit like Peter Jackson did not design Gollum but he had redesigns done until Gollum fit what he had envisioned for the movies.

Plus it's a wee bit hard to not make Bay the poster child when his name has to be attached to all the advertising because heavens forbid anyone not know it's a Micheal Bay movie. You hardly see any ads without really big letters that say Micheal Bay.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Then I guess I have Archer and Rik to thank for one of the best Prime designs ever. :) 

10. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    I know ,right?

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

This makes me slightly nervous... ;) 

Anyway, the same people design the toys who have ALWAYS designed the toys, but the bots that actually appear in the movie are more of a team effort between ILM and Hasbro. Bay's the big boss, obviously, and would give tons of feedback, but he's not going to be toiling away on one of those million-moving-part robots on his computer. Kiiiiinda figured people knew that.

What is interesting is that that iconic scene with Prime transforming in front of Sam conceptually predates Bay's involvement with the project. But not all that surprising, movies with long development histories often progress in fits and starts, and no one ever dumped the whole thing and started over. Actually, IIRC there was a near-final draft script before Spielberg and Hasbro got Bay to jump on.

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Not only that, but it seems everyone hates the movie designs in their mind. If someone likes them it's just because they don't know better, poor things. Also we should read how they hate it in any thread, even if it's not about the movie figures.

Thread about not buying third party figures "Yeah i don't buy 3rd party, but instead of 3rd party replace that with movieverse. I don't buy movie toys. Yep"

Thread about what DOTM toy you like best
    "I like that I'm not buying any of them since have I told you today that I hate the movie figs and bay is a hack?"

Geez people, we know. Give it a rest. We get it that you don't like them. It's ok that you mention it in appropiate threads, feedback forums, etc, but there are some that just have to shoehorn it into any post they make even if it doesn't even fit the thread. It was the same with animated haters. Stangely those of us who like particular toylines don't have the need to proclaim how much we love these in any post we make.

13. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

This is pretty much the conversation I had with my friend, the other day. We are both die hard G1 fans, yet we fail to understand the vilification Michael Bay comes in for, He does not design the robots, not does he write the plot. He was hired on his reputation to make explosive action films, and love them or hate them, he did a great job of DIRECTING. I'm certainly no Bay fan boy,i can't stand his other films, but what some people need to realise is that it is no longer 1984. If the IDW team had made the films, people would still be whining. That is all.

14. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I'll never understand this. The movieverse haters are the ones who talk about the movies the most, and they talk about the movies EVERYWHERE. You can't read a thread in any forum on any topic without a significant chance of one of the movieverse haters bringing up the movies (and how much they hate them).

I don't like Beast Wars. But I never post about it because... why would I? Why would I so strongly seek to tear down what others love at every opportunity? I don't get it.

I'm confident at least half the fandom loves the movieverse. I'd wager it's more than half personally, but that's all just my opinion. But you'd never know it based on reading the forums. You'd think it was 99% movieverse haters to 1% ignorant movieverse fans.

If there was a Beast Wars sub-forum on here, I'd simply never wander into there because the topic doesn't interest me. I'd NEVER think of going in there all day, every day to post endlessly about how much I hate Beast Wars (I don't even hate it, I'm just not a fan). And my reasons I'd never do that are twofold:

1) Why would I spend the energy on something I don't like? I don't join Beiber Forums for this exact reason.

2) Why would I seek to attack something my fellow fans like? I'd much rather let them enjoy BW talk in peace.

I really don't understand our fandom sometimes.

15. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    One non-movieverse-fan once posted that what he'd wanted from the movies was a shot-for-shot CGI remake of the '86 movie.

:sly2: 

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You said it, brother!

17. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    You are not alone ...

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Well, we can give credit for Long Haul, Jetfire, and ROTF Megatron to Josh Nizzi...

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Did you really think that Bay came up with the designs?

20. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Absolutely! I also thought Bay set up the lights, operated the cameras, wrote the script and acted all the parts himself through some clever use of prosthetics and voice changers, all of which he applied himself as well. :D