mib vs. misb is there a big difference?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always see alot of the mib and misb transformers for sale. People always say misb never opened, so ok thats brand new factory sealed right? Then I see mib which is suppose to mean the item is mint right? But how can a item be mint when its been opened, touched and transformed? At least I think it should not be called mint. If an item has been transformed then how could it be mint? It get confusing for first time collectors who want misb and mib items. People should call the sealed items misb, and opened items used with box. I have seen many customers get the 2 mixed up all the time on ebay. Heck some sellers even put misb on an open item because they dont know what it really means. All they know is it gets more bids on thier item. I happen to bid on an misb item on ebay a few years back, and the seller said its been opened after I won the item. But the description was so short that it never said its been opened. What do you think? Well I know the forums know mib and misb, but not all the bidders know. They dont even read descriptions before bidding.

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

MISB = factory sealed

MIB = opened but complete with all packaging.

This is how I see it. FWIW, I still think that an opened figure with all packaging can be considered 'mint', but I do agree that it also opens up a pretty big grey area. In these cases I would always scrutinise any pics and ask specific questions of the seller to ascertain the true condition of the item.

3. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    This is why most comic books are graded near mint, ambiguity and all that.

Genuine MISB is a guarantee of the contents, but speaks nothing of the box itself. MIB is taking the sellers word for it that the item is in great condition.

Personally, when it comes to older items I would rather buy "MIB", because I couldn't bring myself to break the seal on it. Okay, I cracked open my MISB Sky Garry last year but that's because I was convinced it was a high-end KO. Doh!

Eye of the beholder and all that.

As far as eBay goes, if in doubt, ask lots of questions.

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well, I recently bought the Encore 02 Megatron MISB from Ebay. Actually my first time buying such a thing from Ebay.

It's MISB indeed ; no orange plug to be seen and the tape which seals the box flap hasn't been tampered with, so I think it's 100% certain
    this one has never been opened. Imo, the "MISB" Megatrons which do ship with the orange plug cannot be considered to be actual MISB.

Here's my box; Pic :

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc167/knotje/Megatron.jpg

The box was a bit dented during transportation though, but as far as
    I can tell it still looks in great shape incl. contents of course.

5. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

mib vs. misb is there a big difference?

My guess is the secondary selling price.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Indeed on some rare figures such as Grand Max it can be hundreds of dollars difference.

Mint Condition is in the eye of the beholder, and I often wonder how much which side of the sale your on affects your point of view on just how mint it is.

If your the seller you want it to be mint as mint can be for maximum sale price. If your the buyer and total perfection isn't required ( even of 100% completeness is) you want to call it near mint rather Mint so you can save a few bucks.

7. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Misb will make a product price a little higher than mib. But mib is not bad. I like mib because I don't need to cut tape or twist ties. Also go for mib if it is a clam shell like on alternity or just a plastic sandwich set up like on wst.

8. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The difference between MISB and MIB is the same difference between a virgin and a nonvirgin. Both may be mint, but only one is still sealed.

9. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I hate when a seller uses the acronym MIB when the toy is anything but mint. Just becasue it has the original box and is complete, doesnt make it mint.

10. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    fixed.

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only tricky thing with MISB is that you can still end up with QC problems. If I buy something with the intent to keep it in the box, I'll still open it to make sure it's in good condition. I'd hate to open it down the road to realize some glaring problem with my emotional investment.

12. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally agree with this. I hate seeing a played with toy called mib. Mib is suppose to be "MINT" and brand new and never played with, with the box has been opened.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    A toy can be open and be mint. "mint" means the toy is in perfect condition, it has nothing to do with what activities the toy has taken part in. You transforming a figure does not change it's physical condition, unless you're incredibly bad at it.

A figure I take out of the box, transform, sit on a shelf, and occasionally mess around with but never degrades physically, gets loose, scratched, or any paint/chrome wear and looks the same as it did the day I took out of the package is still in mint condition.

the difference between MIB and MISB is tape. That's all. the tape makes the figure more valuable.

14. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Ok i will admit due to inebriation i did not read everypost but if i have a figure with the everything but the twist ties that held it in is it MIB?. Asked in this thread because it is relvant and what not.

15. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    If it is how it came new, and has no wear, like paint wear, sticker wear, joint wear, etc... And is complete with all packaging, its MIB.

16. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Ok thanks for the answer!

17. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Only if you're one of those obsessive/compulsive types... :lol 

Honestly, Who doesn't luv the look of a 20+ year old piece of dried-up sticky tape half peeling off an old toy box? :lol 

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I have some stuff I've bought new and never opened but then I later notice a slight dint on the box or a minor crease on a flap. Can I still call it MISB? I mean it's not Mint In Mint Box, is it? But then I've got a T-Wrecks where the window plastic has got a small split in (was like that when I bought it - it was the only one the store had) and that irks me as I feel I can't call it MISB even though it's still factory taped because the box has been slighty compromised.

19. prawisucia

prawisucia Soldier of Heaven

News Credits:
    MISB = factory sealed
    MIB = opened but never been played or displayed

but there's another term that we use here in Indonesia.

BIB or Back In Box = opened, played, displayed

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    why am i reminded of the episode of dexter's lab when i hear the phrase MISB?