MGS4 delay until 2008

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Airraid, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Airraid

Airraid Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone posted this but I found it today. I'm kinda glad because this means Kojima is going to fix out any bugs or kinks in the story line, plus I'd not be able to get a PS3 before then.

Here is a link to the source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/758/758760p3.html
    Anyone who plays MGS might either be happy by the news or dismayed.

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Waits for Jet_Convoy to come and cry like I expect she will.

:p 

3. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    My brother got his PS3 for Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid 4. This is going to piss him off, that is unless he already knows. A delay is not the end of the world and it may help, I like to think games like Zelda: TP are better for it, so maybe it will be better for it but this was going to be one of the Killer Apps. of the PS3 this year. Am I reading it wrong or is it being delayed by a full year, from 10/15/2007 according to 1up.com to Q4 of next year?

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

So basically, one of the only reasons for buying a PS3 is pushed back for a good year.....interesting.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm no fanboy, but that 'news' comes from the IGN Predictions of 2007 article. I'll wait until I hear it from Kojima or Konami.

7. Deathx360

News Credits:
    I hope you are being sarcastic, and judging by the smiley you are, but it looks good to me although I don't care much for Metal Gear. I'm sure they will improve on the graphics some but the question is how bad is the online multiplayer for them to delay it a year? After that long of a delay the multiplayer better kick all kinds of ass. At any rate I'm sure the game is going to be great, after all they all have gotten very high marks by reviewers and gamers alike.

8. Deathx360

News Credits:
    I was just going by the quote so I agree with you on this one. Still I thought Kojima said that they were not fully satisfied with the online play in an interview I saw on 1UP.com. That does not mean a delay so until other wise stated it should be viewed as on track, given that issues like this are probably allowed for in development time.

9. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Might be about the time I can afford the 360 or PS3 to play it on...

10. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I have two thoughts on this...

First, I really never thought this was gonna be a PS3 exclusive game anyway. MGS1, MGS2 and MGS3 weren't.

Secondly, if this is true, why not just release the game without the online portion and sell the online portion as an extra later. People love MGS for the game anyway. The online part is just cake.

But who am I to try and make sense of this. psh.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    If true, this is just another reason for me to put off buying the PS3 until the game's release. That and FFXIII.

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

*sigh* I remember a time when people like me were more prevalent. People who enjoy gameplay over graphics.

Infact, that's the reason I went with a Wii. Gameplay. I could give two shits if there's uber bumpmapping, and 40 zillion pixels, or if it's an 8 bit game. If it plays well and keeps me entertained, I'm happy.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The resolution and polygon count are very good. The texturing and effects are low-detail and very blurry in places. That said...
    QFT!!

But people who buy a PS3 are paying for graphics, so a PS3 exclusive had damn well better have them. :\

As for the topic of the thread: The statement from IGN may turn out to be an accurate prediction, but for now it's purely speculation.

14. DragoUnicron

DragoUnicron Dragon Master

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the PS3, but indulge me for a second. Why don't they release the single player now, if they are finished with it, and leave room on the disk or whatever, and have multiplayer as a download feature later when it is fully ready? (I'm sure that question is unbelievably stupid, but I am curious)

15. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

If FF13 gets pushed back to 2008, Sony's going to have a hard time pushing these things at Christmas (unless some fantastic new franchise comes out of left field).

16. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

You're not the only one...

And if history has shown us anything, MGS4 will be ported to the Xbox360. This delay would seem more like the creators waiting to see how the PS3 does this year. MGS4 isn't enough to support a console, neither is FF13. Bottom line is: if Sony doesn't get a ton of "must have" games, you'll be playing MGS4 on an Xbox360.

17. gil

gil Godmaster

How the hell is Online Metal Gear supposed to be anyway? Isn't the point to online gaming is having 50, 100, or 500 players playing togethers? It's hard to be all Ninja like if 500 guys can see you sneeking around the corner. It's just going to be another deathmatch but with Snake.

18. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Hmm, can't say I'm surprised. Seems like just about every major game is pushed back by at least 6 months or more these days. MG, FF, Zelda, usually it's for the best, but because of that I pretty much ignore any company's claim for a release date til it's carved in stone.

Still it cracks me up when stores try to pre-sell you a game more then a year from the release (and that's before the push-backs start) and their dates are just guesses to begin with.

Speaking of delays, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has also been pushed back (again). It went from a launch game, to a spring 07 game, now a end of summer or fall game, sigh. One reason for some of the delays (at least for PS3 games) is that the developers are using this "refinment" phase to wait til the PS3 has a larger user base. Either way, by end of 08 I should be able to afford one (maybe even a slight price drop by then). It's more fun to buy a system when there are games out for it then it is to buy a $600 paper weight and wait for the games.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Roughly the same way it worked out for MGS3: Subsistence I would assume.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

WTF this is a stupid IGN filler article, why are people taking it seriously?!

Read the fucking source material before... no, of course not, that would require EFFORT and EYES.