Metroplex and scale

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cagey, Mar 2, 2012.

1. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Just a quick note here. In a side by side review of Metroplex and Cybertron Metroplex, saw a fair comment: "[He] is more a base or part of a city rather than a city.} (LINK) Of course, remembering from some comic (or t.v. clip) where he broke free of the infrastructure built around him, bridges, roads, etc. to go battle royale with Devastator or Trypticon.

This is where imagination has to come in though: Did anyone ever notice some of the details inside his legs in city mode, little buildings carved out to look like they were wayyy offset in the background?

[​IMG]

The sense of scale has always been a bit of an issue for me. I understand that the whole mini-con thing was/is to offer more moderately priced alternatives to the bigger deluxe figures; the larger ones just don't always seem to fit well alongside M.P., or the mini-cons for that matter. Sometimes I just keep all the little guys in the background (to look distant). Sad, I know.

Now what would really belong onboard M.P. would be those super tiny vehicles, the mini-spies or whatever they were called.

P.S. probably more old news, but if you haven't seen this 8' tall Metroplex, check it out: HUGE custom Metroplex (but so big that...... please look :D ) Obviously this guy was all wrapped around the axle on the scale issue himself.

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wst figures fit in great, imo.

That is one cool custom. Very nice.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Whoa...very nice. I don't have the heart to tell him Fort Max is cooler than Metroplex, though. :D 

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Man I love when people try to make things to scale and go all out like that. I would love to do something similar some day though I would have to have great articulation and be fully transformable.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Me, too, but then I see this guy welding stuff and everything and I realize just how far beyond my capabilities it would be. Sigh.

6. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad bro, I'm no engineering major either. I also suck at Tetris and sketching anything in 3-D.

Have seen a few other larger scale customs: Metroplex Custom Transformers G1 Figure by Defstar | Action Figure Customs
    I know there are better pics out there, just not finding them.

7. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro must release an 8 ft. tall Metroplex other wise they hate their fans. :) 

8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

:D 

Break break

Hey Tusko, great pics. I need to get that Cosmos someday. Your Prime/Megatron/Jazz - what year or TF category are they so I can look them up?

10. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Prime and Megs are Reveal the Shield.
    Jazz is from Universe 2.0.... I think.

11. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My G1 Metroplex looks like a very good base for Legends/EZ Animated toys.
    Probably other Legends toys will look good with him, too.

12. entITy

entITy G 1

Just a question, when I was a kid I heard city mode this or that for guys, but where is it written metroplex was a city, maybe because he is autobot city/metroplex ?

"The extent of that territory is sometimes unclear; sometimes Metroplex is an independent Autobot base, and other times he's part of (or all of) Autobot City."

Somewhat unclear.

Because everyone else is regarded as a base or fortress. Pretty much he is just a base though yes?

For instance, his evil twin is regarded as a city too, but he is more a base :

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Metrotitan_(Zone)

But from pictures like this, it is a tough call :

[​IMG]

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Back when my Metroplex got his Super Reprolabel Upgrade I took some pictures of Metroplex using WST's and Micro machines...

And actually the Micro Machines made him look impressive as hell. Personally Metroplex's scale and size is all down to the imagination, as a kid HE WAS A FREAKING CITY, even though he was only what? Twice the height of Optimus Prime? Even the Minibots were still too big for him... possibly even the Micromasters.

I'll dig out the pictures for this thread... I think they're still floating around my webspace but I don't remember the names.

Edit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that was all... wow I found these through google... 'tikgnat coolstuff metroplex' and there they were. The internet is scary sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  14. entITy

entITy G 1

Awesome pictures, where can I get those stickers ?

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Reprolabels.com

16. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yup, Reprolabels.

There are three sets though, one upgrade set is for Metroplex himself, one set is for Sixgun and the last set is for Scamper and uh... little tank guy. Slammer. Yeah, him.

The set essentially adds more detail without detracting, unifies the colour scheme and basically makes what I considered to be one of the most versatile Transformers ever made into one of the best ever made.

No lie.

17. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those Reprolabels stickers makes the difference! It looks much better with them.

18. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Entity - Ah yes, the image of Metroplex with all those lifeless Autobots chained to his leg. Good and creepy. The G1 front of box says that he "transforms to city and battle station and back," the filecard says battle station.

Killer pics, tikgnat. My birfday's coming up and I think I'll take the plunge and get the reprolabels stickers. No going back once you make the decision.

So far in this topic I get the impression the majority keep Met with their smaller 'bots. The box front didn't show a single large ("deluxe") vehicle, but it did have a Ratchet on the front I didn't know about - it was a mini-version. [Edit: Whoops, it was the Protectobot ambulance.] Did not know those were available during that year - hmm, a mystery.

19. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Haha, check this out:

[​IMG]

20. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Those strung up Autobots aren't actually ON Metroplex, there're on a part of the city behind him. Thanks to this thread I gonna have a much closer look at the details on my Plex.