Metal Gear Solid

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Airraid, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Airraid

Airraid Well-Known Member

This is my favorite series of games ever. I have played them so many times. Does anyone else love these games?

I have:
    Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
    Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
    Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
    Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
    Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
    Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel

I also play Metal Gear Online in Subsistence. My MGO name is SNAKE_LIQUID and I am ranked Hound.

If anyone else plays these, tell me what you think. Also, if you play MGO post your name so we can play a game together.

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Check my avatar. :D 

I own MGS, MGS2, and MGS3:S Limited Edition. I picked up the old NES version of MG awhile back, but its sort of broken, and MGS3:S has a better translation anyway.

But, yeah. Definitely my favorite game series of all time. I'm really hoping that, like GTA: Liberty City Stories, MGS: Portable Ops gets ported over to the PS2. Can't get enough of Big Boss, to be honest with you.

My MGO handle is Darque, but I play infrequently, so I don't have a rank. It's fun as hell, except in instances when the teams are purposely (and obscenely) unbalanced so as to help the people with an already high rank to go higher. That irritates me. :mad 

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i own MGS, MGS2, MGS3:Subsistence [which has metal gear and MG:Solid Snake on it]

definately dig the series. one of my fav. out there.

i play MGSonline semi-frequently
    i dont have a rank just yet but i like to go on and play once and awhile. granted im not extraordinarily good but i have fun :p 

4. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX My turn to protect you.

I have:

MGS
    MGS2
    MGS2: Substance (Xbox)
    MGS3
    MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition which includes Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 if you want to count those.

5. Airraid

Yeah those count. Thats awesome. Hey frozen, let me know sometime if you ever want to play Subsistence together. I can't create games anymore though :( 

6. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    By far my favorite video game franchise ever!

I've got:
    NES
    -Metal Gear
    -Metal Gear 2 Snake's Revenge

Gamecube:
    -Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Sankes

PC:
    -Metal Gear Solid

PS2:
    -Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    -Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    -Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence w/ Metal Gear Saga DVD

PSP:
    -Metal Gear Ac!d

I'm planning on getting MGA 2 as soon as I'm done with the first Ac!d, as well as a PS3 just so I can play MGS4.

7. Airraid

Yeah I want to get the PS3 just for MGS 4 and for Brothers in Arms Hells Highway. The problem is the price. It is gonna be about 600 dollars. Do you have online for MGS3 Hook?

8. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Dude, this is my fave video game series and the best ever without a doubt, peep the avatar.

My online name is in my signature. I still don't have a rank. Guess I need better ratios or something, but in all modesty I'm very good. So far I have:

MGS1
    MGS2: Sons Of Liberty
    MGS3: Snake Eater
    MGS3: Subsistence

I'm thinking fo getting a Gamecube just to play The Twin Snakes, looks really cool. I think what I'll do is sell my X-Box, which I don't use anymore and use the money to get a Gamecube. I also wanna play the GC Resident Evil games, especially the remake.

Anyways, I'm also buying a PS3 and a PSP just for MGS4: Guns Of The Patriots, and MGS: Portable Ops respectively.

9. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

As of yet, I only have Twin Snakes. Enjoying it a lot actually, but I guess you could say i'm cheating as with non confrontations i've just been sniping everyone with the Socom. DOwn the road, when I can pick up a PS2, i'll be looking into Subsistance.

If it matters any, the latter isn't exclusive.

10. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    JetConvoy, if you have MGS1, avoid Twin Snakes. Seriously. The cut scenes were adapted for kids with ADHD; apparently, having Liquid stand around discussing the origin of his (and Solid Snake's) birth is too boring; he HAS to be doing gymnastics during this time.

Also, Liquid and Solid Snake are apparently not Big Boss' kids, but Neo's sons.

(The worst offender in Twin Snakes is when, in the Hind D, Liquid launches a missile at Snake; Snake jumps into the air, lands on top of and then jumps off said missile, then launches a Stinger at Liquid. Even the comic book, which adapted many similarly stupid, over-the-top antics of Twin Snakes, decided against portraying this particular event)

Also, did you like Naomi's and Mei Ling's voice overs in MGS1? They're gone in Twin Snakes, replaced by...I don't know, two American women without any accents. Also, the torture segment? Made ridiculously easier in Twin Snakes...you don't even have to be awake to survive, from what I've heard.

Sorry, ranting again. MGS1>MGS: Twin Snakes. There. Said it. Done. Moving on.

AirRaid, a game sounds good. When are you available?

11. SpazmasterX

Really? Damn. I was thinking of picking it up for cheap now and enjoying MGS2 level graphics with the awesome MGS game. So much for that. :/

12. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Oh, the game is visually beautiful, and it's great to play it with the MGS2 engine (analog walking, hanging off ledges, first person shooting). I wouldn't have a problem at all with it if they just hadn't (a) retard-ified the cut scenes to cater to children with ADHD, and (b) oversimplified some game elements. I've read that the added first person perspective actually makes some parts of the game feel "broken."

My vehemence towards Twin Snakes comes from the fact that it SHOULD have been the original, with only the addition of higher-res graphic skins and the MGS2 engine. Everything else they did is just...well, blasphemous, if you want to take the series THAT seriously. :p 

Watch some trailers of it on gametrailers.com; that's where I saw a majority of the stupid cutscenes even before I watched my friend play it. If you can tolerate all that, then give it a shot. :) 

13. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Blasphemous? The original MGS is Holy Writ now? This is how I feel about it. Hideo Kojima created MGS. That game friggin rocked, made Kojima 'The Man' and changed the face of videogaming. Later, Hideo Kojima, (that's right, the same guy, not some nameless schmoe tampering with someone else's game, but the original creator) goes back and RECREATES the game! Once again, it friggin rocks, Kojima is still The Man, and continues to be a huge presence in the genre he basically created. Now, from what I see you saying, Kojima is like God, and changing His Creations is blasphemy, yet you forgot that these changes were made by Hideo Kojima (God, to you). As the person is charge, he didn't change anything in the Twin Snakes that he didn't want changed. Twin Snakes is closer to his original vision than the original. And, as for my opinion, in the time since MGS, Snake's reputation as a bad-ass has grown so much, I'm sure glad MGS:TS didn't let us down.

I own
    MGS
    MGS: VR Missions
    MGS: TS
    MGS2: Substance
    MGS3: Subsistence

14. SpazmasterX

The only part I can imagine that's ruined by First-person is the Ocelot fight, and maybe the Vulcan Raven fight since you wouldn't need to use the Nikita or mines.

15. Airraid

I was really thinking of getting a gamecube just for Twin Snakes. I really want to play it. I don't know what your talking about about them being Neo's sons and not Big Boss's.

I have never seen all of the cutscenes but from what I have seen, Snake does pretty much the same jumps he did in MGS. The one with the revolver bullet and the jump dodging the tank blast...

BTW, Frozen, I will probably be on today.

16. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Oh, reading. How I both love you and hate you when people clearly neglect you.

(Hence why I said, "if you want to take it THAT seriously," not saying that's what I think...more what you might think if you took your dedication to the franchise to that degree. Oh, also not the ":p " which indicates a level of silliness or humor)

Also, look at MGS2 and MGS3; why isn't Snake behaving like Neo in those two? Kojima may have wanted the changes in TT, but he obviously never intended for it to become canonical to the character.

And, remember, words are your friends. So is reading!

17. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Watch the one where he jumps off a missile. And the one where he fights the Ninja for the first time. And the one where he does a backflip to dodge a bullet shot by Sniper Wolf.

I can't remember the rest. I may very well have blocked them out of my memory because of my disdain for them.

18. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

Kojima didn't redo the cutscenes, that was actually a different person that he allowed to direct the game.

He means that in the game, Snake's pulling off more Matrix-esque bullet time moves.

19. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Indeed. But, this actually leads to a pretty good topic:

Is Metal Gear TOO cinematic? Or not enough?

EGM, when reviewing MGS3: S, said that there may be "too much story for some gamers." Would MGS benefit from, perhaps, fewer cutscenes where you had no control, and more instances (such as in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory) where certain events happen, and still allow you to move around?

I think MGS is fine the way it is; Xenosaga, on the other hand, is basically a few games tacked onto a massively long movie.

20. Airraid

I dont want less cutscenes. I love all the cutscenes in MGS. They really add to the story and help it progress.

EDIT: BTW, TTS had nothing to do with Kojima. It was made by a company named Silicon Knights. As far as I know, Konami had nothing to do with it. How much is a Gamecube going for now?