Metal Gear Solid movies, Should there be?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by strscrm, May 27, 2008.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

With the worldwide simultaneous release of Metal Gear Solid 4 drawing near, the discussion arises again, should Hideo Kojima produce Metal Gear Solid motion pictures?

The series is rich in characters and story elements. The problem is that it is so convoluted and disjointed that it makes Final Fantasy 7 look like a children's story. PMCs, organizations such as the Philanthropy and the Patriots, clones, Metal Gears, and so much more, its hard to keep track. This is why there should be movies made to tell it a bit more clearly, leave some things out and focus on the more important plot, and tell it in chronological order.

There should be five films. Either as live-action films or as pre-rendered computer animated films. The first film should be known as Metal Gear Solid Zero. This would cover the stories of MGS3: Snake Eater and MGS: Portable Ops. The second film would be Metal Gear Solid. This would cover the stories of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. The third film would be Metal Gear Solid 2. This would cover Metal Gear Solid from PS1. The fourth film would be Metal Gear Solid 3 and would cover MGS2: Sons of Liberty. The fifth and final film would be titled Metal Gear Solid 4 and would ironically cover the story of MGS4: Guns of the Patriots.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

isn't that what the games are anyway?

* I keed, I keed*

but seriously, I'm a huge MGS fan, and I actually think that the games are as close to an interactive movie as you could get, and I think the storytelling in them is superb, and almost don't think that a movie could tell the stories as well.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm starting to come to the realizations that at best video games movie will be "ok". There will never be a great game movie. I would just as soon they not bother.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Only if Michael Biehn can be in it, then the series will come full circle.

5. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure why not. I mean if they're going to make a Pac-Man movie then why not make a movie using a game that actually has a story.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They should just do the entire movie in CG ah la beowolf and use the game voice cast. You know if they do live action just won't work. If they want to do a move though they should do the original metal gear as these days it's the least known by todays generation.

7. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

Only if Hideo has complete creative control.........

And I watched the mist the other day and........... Tom Jane wouldnt make a bad snake, He's kind of a tough guy, doesn't have an austrian accent, and hasnt been making movies since 82

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

No.

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Video game movies=Fail!

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes there should be. I'll suck up anything MG related.

11. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

I really want to say no, I'd hate to see it compressed and generalized enough for a Hollywood blockbuster... but I would so see the eff out of it if they did.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    hasnt there been rumors of a Metal Gear Solid movie for awhile now???

id like to see a movie made out of them yes.. but kinda stripped down. left to only the more important plot points. i think the core story lines would make for a fantastic bunch of movies.

i'd see the movies over and over if there were any

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i will say no, as has already been stated, the story's best told via the videogames. mgs series are probably my favourite games ever, and they work as games, i would rather not run the risk of a bad movie coming out.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    it would work if Kojima didn't have control.

Seriously, the dude CANNOT MAKE MOVIES. The fact that the game cutscenes last for HOURS and HOURS is testament to that.

Give it John Woo. Focus it on action, sneaking, the impressive set pieces and all that stuff. All the rest of it, the political stuff, either excise it or cut it down and put it in the background.

The focus should be Snake, his fight against himself (old age), against his former team mates (Foxhound) and then himself in a big bipedal nuke launcher! (Big Boss in Rex).

If you try and shoe horn ALL the story elements from the games, it'll turn out to be an unmitigated mess.

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yes.

16. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

I think that would be the whole point, make an actual Metal Gear movie........ Not just Solid Snake's Revenge on the Big Screen

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see it now, two hours of talking over a communicator!

Seriously, I like the MGS series, but I think it's too cinematic of a game to make a movie based on any of the games. (I don't want to see the same scene played out with real actors) They would have to reinvent it, or do a side story that would have to be shoe-horned somewhere in the series. They may be able to change up the story of the original metal gear enough to make it a movie, but this would be a case where the script would be way too simplified in order to fit hollywood standards, and then it wouldn't fit in with the games overly complicated expositions.

So no, I don't think it should be done. (if it was though, I support Micheal Bein for Snake, and Meg Ryan for Raiden)