Metal - A Headbanger's Journey (The Movie)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Flame, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Not a hundred percent sure where to stick this, but though there'd be some people here interested and general seems to be the movie review place so:

Anyone else seen this movie or bought the DVD set?

I haven't had a chance to get through the extras yet, but have watched the movie itself. It was of great interest to me because I was, am, and probably always will be, a member of the subject at hand. To the point of spending most of my teenage years, and not a small part of my twenties locked away in a room with a guitar and a stereo practicing my face off hoping to found or join a band and hit the road. . .but I digress.

I found the movie to be interesting, and pretty informative. Even as someone who lived in that scene for so very, very long, there's a lot of information outside of what you'd know just from reading the metal rags and these days, the sites. It was also kind of nice to not see just the happy face some metal defenders put on the subject, but both the dark and good side of the metal 'tribe' as it's sometimes referred to during the movie. Particularly telling were the interviews with Necrobutcher (the metal band member, not the wrestler) and the pointed section on the Norway Black Metal scene and their involvement in church burnings in the nineties.

Having spent a good portion of my life living in Iowa, I also found the Slipknot's band member's comments about how sick and depraved you are when you grow up in Iowa to be not only true, but a humorous look back at one of the worst periods of my life. And to tell you the truth, the guy was not lying in the least. Iowa has a way of draining your soul. Even more than South Dakota, where I now live.

The time spent at Wacken Open Air was interesting. Forty-thousand metal heads in an outdoor, four-day-long drunken brawl of a concert. What's not to love?

I, like most of the people I've talked to about this movie, felt it was interesting, informative, but, ultimately, too short. Sam Dunn just never seemed to dive fully into any one topic, and instead skipped around from subject to subject. It was almost as if he gave himself a time limit, and tried to fit in everything he wanted to fit in to that alloted amount of time by cutting and recutting bits and pieces. Not that it wasn't a fun watch, and not that I won't watch it again and again, because it draws you in well. But I feel it would have been far more interesting to see his disparate subjects brought together better with more in-depth coverage.

Take, for instance, his interview with Pamela Des Barres, author of "I'm with the Band", and possibly the most famous groupie of all time. It would have been the perfect opportunity to really ask some questions about regret, or feelings, or what led her to being interested in the life she chose. My guess is, that footage exists somewhere, because I doubt his multiple interviews with people like her, and Ronnie James Dio, and Bruce Dickinson, and countless others, were limited to the five or so minutes we saw on film. And while I'm sure the extras disk contains a lot of that extra footage, the question remains, why cut out so much from the main film?

Still, it was a great watch. And, surprisingly, something I think even my wife, a non-metal-head if ever there was one, interested only in the glam bands of the eighties, would enjoy quite a bit. It's a good glimpse into the mind of a metalhead, with enough interviews with psychologists, and historians of various types without the typical "Decline of Western Civilization Part II" type down-play of metal to lend a real weight to the picture.

Anyone else seen it or picked up the DVD? I think it just came out a week or two ago, and I'd be interested if any of the resident metal heads have watched it and/or have any comments about it. One of my offline buddies was most interested in what people had to say about Tom Araya thought of his religion, and his art. Any opinions?

(Pre-emtive strike: First person to spout off about spandex and hair-spray gets swatted.)

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I thought it was awesome and informative as well, I even started a thread about it a couple months ago after I saw it in the theatre.

Those crazy Norweigians blew my mind, and I never know about the medieval "devil" chord.

3. Night Flame

The musical bits I kind of knew about, but what blew my mind about the old music was the double bass that took two guys to play. Having played an upright bass a few times, I gotta think that would cause some serious rumble.

4. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm definitely looking forward to watching it, in fact its on my top 3 at netflix right now. I dunno how it got bumped down the list, I guess I just forgot about it.

I'm a huge metalhead, and I can't wait to check it out....

On a side note, I'm suprised to see someone who actually lives in South Dakota. I was born there, lived in Mitchell and then Pierre until I was in the 5th grade or so. I was always so disgruntled as a kid, because it seemed like no one even knew the damn state existed. It was never mentioned anywhere and you never heard any tv shows talking about anything going on there unless it was something about Mt Rushmore.

Then I moved to Kansas and saw how brutal life could REALLY be. ;)  hahahaah.....

Anyways...no point to that, just interesting to me. I'm amazed to see a metalhead currently living there, though, I know that much. ;) 

\m/

-Dusty

5. Night Flame

You'd be surprised the number of us that still exist here. We always were kind of the cult within a cult. Hell, most of the high-school crowd when I was in school (graduated in '92) still thought the Beatles were the latest, hippest thing in the rock world. No, I'm not kidding with that.

I've been trying to escape the midwest my whole life. I went from Iowa, to Minnesota, back to Iowa, just to remind myself that yes, things can be worse, then to South Dakota, back to Iowa to again remind myself of the suck, and back to South Dakota. I've stuck here for the past twelve years or so. Ugh. That makes me feel crappy.

But I'll say this for SD. There's at least a metal crowd here. Disturbed played here a year or so back and there was a HECK of a crowd. Iowa? Nothing. You could raise a crowd in the entire state big enough to put on a club show for a metal band.

So at least I've got that going for me.

I need to re-watch this movie a couple times. But not tonight. *YAWN*

6. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You need some coastal life experience man! Move to either side....You'll love it!

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hav'nt seen it but plan ot it.

I'll be a metal head until I die! Thought I would've grown out of the music by now, but think I love it even more.
    Don't do the band life anymore, but still love the sounds.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i just dropped by this thread to bang head.

*headbangs*

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

[​IMG]
    ^ KA's Metroplex ^

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to. I want to actually buy it instead of just renting it from Netflix. I hoping the segment on the Norwegians tells me something new that I haven't already heard in Lords of Chaos and Lucifer Rising.

All of a sudden I feel like watching my Amon Amarth dvd...

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Check your PM's :thumb 

12. Night Flame

Don't count on it. It's pretty much a general overview and some modest interview segments. But it is sort of cool to see the interviews. It goes from one dude who just generally comes across as a sincere if somewhat misguided dude, to a ultimate theatrics type, fingering his glass of whine, saying, "SATAN" and then slamming down a gulp. Then Alice Cooper making fun of them.

It's more a jumping off point for guys who hadn't heard much about the Black Metal scene than a deep overview. But it is cool to get a new subject to research for those of us who only briefly remember some odd mention in Metal Maniacs a few years back.