Messiah CompleX

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DevilzFan, Oct 9, 2007.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=131899

Click thread for pretty pretty pictures.

I'm so, so happy to see Sinister have an active role in the X-Universe again. He is my all time favorite Villain.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
  5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Don't care.

Another super X-Over from marvel with huge expectations that it won't live up to. Zero Tolerance anyone? They just need to go back to telling good old fashoned stories within the pages of each book without some mind blowing and universe changing event that will be retconned 2 years later.

M-Day wipes out mutants -> Messiah Complex brings 'em all back. Fixed.

6. DevilzFan

but...but....SINISTER!

They haven't done a real "X-Universe" crossover in quite some years. Brubaker's involved, I'm hoping it'll be decent.

plus...SINISTER!

7. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Ill get this when it comes in trades I cant afford to get this all in single books but look forward to it

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Think I'll wait for the trade. The material sounds good, I just dinna care for superdupermegacrossovers that necessitate buying 2-3 issues of multiple titles I don't otherwise get, and I only buy 1-2 X-titles regularly anymore at best.

Same reason I'm waiting for the oh-so-obvious Endangered Species standalone trade rather than buy all 17 individual issues that still have their respective main stories still going on before this bigger X-over. That'll be out approximately 17 hours after the last issue hits the stands. Then Messiah Complex will get chopped in half for the trades. Is it customary to have vol. 1/the first half out in tpb form while the back half is still going on in the monthlies?

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Looks cool so far. But I remember Zero Tolerance too. Big build up, then end it when the military shows up to tell Bastian he can't do what he did. Few years later, they turn Bastian into Nimrod. WTF?!

10. Wreckgar

Yea, Sinister is cool but not enough to save the X-Universe. And the last time he was actually cool in a story was way back in Age of Apocalypse.

11. DevilzFan

Hey, if this gets more people reading X-Factor (best X-Book on the market) all the better!

12. Switchblade

News Credits:
    There's a pretty big difference here. Zero Tolerance was written by Scott Lobdell at the end of his run when he already had one foot out of the door and had the original ending dropped. Messiah Complex, on the other hand, has Ed Brubaker, Mike Carey, and Peter David, all of whom are doing dynamite stuff on their X-books. Even with the drag factor that is Slaughterhouse X... er, New X-Men, this is shaping up to be excellent.

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I'm getting the Xmen, Uncanny and Xfactor stories.

I'm not really excited about this though. Its been done before... There are too many X-men dwelling on relationships from 25 years ago sifting through too many recycled stories.

X-factor is awesome because its new and trying to be its own entity as a noir soap opera. So a crossover comes along and mashes it all up to take the focus off the developing relationships and on to Sinister and the hunt for mutant babies. (I suspect it'll happen).

The writers and artists are great, don't get me wrong. However the vision for this whole line is pretty weak. Its standard, unexceptional mutant fair and I don't see anything in the preview that says otherwise. I also think going all gory with mutant beast eating people is passe. Did Mike Wieringo teach us nothing about optimistic and bright story telling in superhero comics?

14. Wreckgar

Brubacker doesn't get my X-Support. He is doing great with Cap but first thing he did with X-men was shoot them into space. Immediate way to lose my interest. However X-Factor is one of the best books out now.

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'm half looking forward to this. My interesting in the X-Men has been waining till Cable & Deadpol was all I had left, but IF this is done well it just might bring me back into my favorite mutants big time. Cable is alive! And it's been ages since they did something good with Sinister. I always liked him. A good 90s style crossover is exacty what I want from the X-Universe actually - X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attractions, Age of Apocaplyse, Phalanx Covenent, Onslaught, Zero Hour (even if editiorial mandate screwed up the ending) and now hopefully Messiah CompleX.

16. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I havn't followed the other X books besides Astonishing too much but I got issue 1 of MC today. Issue was ok nothing too special story-wise so far. Looks like the plot will center around a super-powerful mutant baby that Sinestro may have control of. Also Blockbuster and Prism are dead but I don't really know of them. Nevertheless, damn it feels good to be reading an x-men book drawn by Silvestri again.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm with the "Over the X-men" crowd. Have been since...I don't know, way before Xorn, that's for damn sure. Although he sure was a nail in the coffin. Probably shortly after the Claremont run ended.

Wolverine was one of the only worthwhile characters...and hell, I can see him in what, a dozen other books? I dug Bishop, but his whole solo reinvention didn't work for me either. And Cyclops has always--always--sucked.

I'll flip through the trade at my store 'cause it's Brubaker, but I don't see it working. I won't buy an X-title unless Claremont gets back on board.

18. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Amen, brother.

19. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Bad choice on Astonishing, it's easily the worst of the three core X-books (cheapest to collect, though, as it ships quarterly now). Whedon's sense of pacing is terrible, his endings are always horribly rushed, and Uncanny and (especially) Adjectiveless have improved by leaps and bounds in the last year. Both are far more entertaining than Astonishing.

And don't worry about Blockbuster and Prism, they'll be back again. Most of the Marauders are clones of the originals, and have been killed off and re-cloned dozens of times.

Personally, I wasn't all that impressed with the Messiah Complex one-shot. Not that it was bad, it's just that the whole issue was devoted to setting up a plot that has been public knowledge for months now. It was necessary set-up, but it didn't really do anything surprising. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter, though.

20. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I read uncanny during the shiar empire rise and fall crap. I dropped it before the arc even finished. Astonishing was far more entertaining IMO.