Message from Michael Bay Regarding Transformers Movie Trailer

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Deefuzz, Jan 17, 2007.

1. lordsidious001

lordsidious001 Well-Known Member

i agree that it might be a shock to some that it was downloaded more times than spider-man 3.

2. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Really?
    I'm an actual fan, and loads of the changes made I'd have done, even down to the appearances of the transformers.
    I'd NOT have called gorillatron Starscream though.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

He thinks that to make a movie out of something, you have to know unknowable and irrelevant facts about the people who already like the source material. At least that's what I got from it.

4. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

There is a lot riding on this movie for the studio. I read somewhere that they are realizing 3 would-be blockbusters in hope of staying afloat.

5. Sarge

Sarge Autobot Squad Leader

News Credits:
    I think too many people worry about whether or not this movie will do well needlessly. There are lots of things to consider.

#1 It is being released on Wednesday July 4th meaning it will basically take in a weekends worth of movie income that day alone especially considering the crazy amount of hype that will accompany it. Then it still has Thursday and the standard 3 day weekend after that. I think its conservative to think it won't make 100 million by then end of that monster weekend. It will be hard to come by a teenager/Sci-fi fan/toy collector who has not been exposed to the film and wants to watch it. It is a new concept for a movie. Realistic fighting giant robots who turn into things.

The eye candy in the trailers alone will sell it. Don't believe me? Remember Eragon, pretty shabby film but big marketing and they showed all the good and realistic effects in the trailers. Somehow a movie made with actors who should have paid to be in the movie made 80+ million dollars from the trailers alone-because honestly most people who went to the film gave it negative feedback and don't try to say there are that many Eragon fans.

How about Superman Returns as an approach from the opposite direction. It even opened on a July 4th weekend. It didn't do as well as expected the opening week. I know why me and all my firends did not go that weekend even though we all love Superman...The trailer sucked completely-we all diconnected after the very fake looking Superman floating in space part of the trailer. Amazingly that film even made 200 million at the box office. Tell me what in the Transformers movie trailer looks fake?

Tell me this trailer won't be at every showing of Spiderman 3, Pirates of the Carribean, and Fantastic Four. Hell today was the first day since the Transformers trailer wasn't the most watched on Yahoo Movies-I check the ticker every day-and today Hanibal Rising beat it since that trailer is new-want to bet Transformers overtakes it again?

I just think people need to stop licking thier wounds and being spiteful. The film might not be the greatest thing in the world or what thier inner childs dreamed of, but it is going to be successful and this is what you are stuck with. Hell overall 2007 will shatter the yearly box office intake record.

6. lordsidious001

i have no hate for this movie at all. infact it looks allright. i don't make judgements at all anymore on movies till i see them. i ended up enjoying fantastic 4, and loving batman begins even though i had my worries on the batmobile.

7. Masterpiece Devastator

Masterpiece Devastator Well-Known Member

Whats the Dael with the Die Hard Line?

8. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    I can only assume it's because the new Die Hard movie is obviously going to be terrible (I mean, who asked for it?), he's calling for crappy competition. Die Hard was going to change it's release date, and I can only assume it's because they're scared of the big robot movie.

9. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Not sure, but I thought Tekno's guess was a good one. If Transformers is the only film that opens July 4th, everyone will just say the only reason it did well was because it was the only movie opening. Bay seems confident now, given the number of teaser trailer views, that Transformers could stand up against some stiff box office competition.

10. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I just hope it is a great movie and that it surprises everyone by breaking the record Spider-Man 3 will set, though that is unlikely I think. I still don't like the bots a whole lot but they have grown on me a lot, except maybe Starscream who's G1 version if one of my favorite Transformers of all time.

One thing the haters need to think about is even though they strongly dislike it if it fails it could very well take the brand with it. What is the total again, $200 or $300 million? That is a lot of money on a brand that has not seen that kind of money put into it ever or even earned for that matter. How long did it take Hasbro to make that kind of money on the brand? If it fails then not only do Bay and Dreamworks loose money but so does Hasbro on the merchandise and on the money they put into the film. Lets not mention what it could do to the next line if people are turned off. In the end love it or hate it the film must succeed so the brand can remain strong or even stronger which in the end benefits us all.

11. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    In my opinion, something like this should be of no surprise by now. After sending TF comics skyrocketing to top sales levels and regularly bogging down fansites and the official movie site, not to mention the download figures of the announcement trailer already far surpassing Bay's expectations, it's a wonder this fandom continues to be underestimated.

12. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

What's your definition of fandom? Active members of Transformers merchandise/media? Or do you include lapsed fans as well?

I can only hope you are someone's satirical 2nd account.

13. lordsidious001

there will allways be transformers as long as there is a hasbro and fans. but what we get will depend on the outcome of the movie

14. crazyheaddave

crazyheaddave Member

Staying on topic, I hope that Bay isn't underestimating the fanbase of Die Hard. I for one am a fan of McClean and blowing up shit. I work at Sam Goody and we had the Die Hard box set on sale, and we sold every one of them (70+) at the beginning of this month. And that's in freaking KENTUCKY! I wouldn't become too cocksure if I were him because John McClean is proven in film and Optimus Prime is not, except for 1986.

Also, I think this summer could be the biggest summer in movie history, at least commercially. Transformers, Pirates 3, Die Hard 4, Harry Potter and OOTP, Ocean's 13, Spider-Man 3, Fantastic 4 II, Shrek 3rd, Simpsons Movie, etc. are all good examples. True these probably aren't going to challenge your morals, but still, those're all fun, fun movies. But that's what I like about Bay. I've studied film in college and am considering going further (yes, there's a masters in pop. culture), but Bay doesn't give a shit about that. He makes movies for people to have fun.

Off topic, who's this Iacon dude? How does he know the movie's not gonna be good? He's seen some script that we don't even know is real and he's telling us it's gonna suck. I'm not saying I have credibility at all, but who does this guy think he is? He bases everything off aesthetics and hopes that these things have one-dimensional personalities, which would be good if it were 1986, but guess what.

15. lordsidious001

yah i didn't mean to get off topic:eek: 

16. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I just wonder if they do a sequel, are we going to see some of the same toys with upgrades or another revolving toy line?

17. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Some members will spout the same --um, stuff over and over, so please use the Ignore List when appropriate, it helps tamp down the obvious flamebaits.

Back on subject; so the trailer did have a longer lasting impact on the net afterall.

18. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ows? Fan of what? National Geographic? Animals? Insects? How can you even say that and think like that those designs are hedious! Prime looks like a baboon with eye pupils and I will not be amazed if they had teeth or bad breath as well. Starscream looks like a giant dwarf with a waspinator head.
    What were you thinking?

I hope you're right and the movie works out just fine coz if it did not you're partly responsible for the Transformers demise.

Wish you and the movie all the luck.

19. Godconvoy

Godconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really see as much of statement for either. It could be looked either way equally I guess.

What he says about Die Hard does make me wonder about it's actual release date.

20. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BINGO. Half a dozen of my friends who know literally ZERO about TFs (but are aware of my interest) are coming to me to let me know they've seen it and think it looks great.