Merlin (BBC series)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Nerroth, Nov 25, 2008.

1. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Little Squeeeeeeeeee from the USA....Merlin was back tonight!! Yay.

Of course, it's just the first episode of the season...but nice to have them back. :thumb 

2. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    They aired about 4 eps then stopped, but the good news is Merlin is back tonight, airing right now. :popcorn 

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one on this side of the pond watching Merlin. Awww.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  3. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Well, my wife and I love the show so that makes three of us. Actually just today I bought the season 5 DVD since we don't have cable and we don't want to wait for it to hit Netflix. It was only $12 shipped on Ebay, so why not? :D 

Too bad this is the final season.

4. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Cool...good to see somebody else enjoying this series. :) 

I haven't ordered the DVD for S5 yet...think I'll wait a bit...want to see how things turn out.

S5 has been a little bit of a let down for me...I hate Morgana and what she's done to the white dragon..Aithusa I think.....poor thing looks pitiful, but at least he was flying.... and also the fact she made Gwen a servant to her just ticks me off....but now they've returned I'm hoping they get on with getting the focus back on Arthur and Merlin.

5. Ektris

Ektris Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aye, way too much focus on Gwen in my opinion.

And thank you for bringing up the young dragon.... that's been driving me insane every time we see it! I don't even remember Morgana getting ahold of him... nor has it been explained what she did. It really is a pitiful sight. But with only a few episodes left, I fear what happened there won't even be touched upon - after making it such a big deal that this dragon (as an egg, granted) even existed - and I'll be quite disappointed as a result.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Morgana and Aithusa is explained in one episode. Sounds like MPL has already seen it though.

I'll be interested to see your reactions to the finale!

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. Plus, once you're done, don't forget to go back and comment on what other people said about this series in this thread back when it aired here in the UK to see if we agree about various points.

8. Alucard88

Alucard88 Supernatural

I love this show. Is there anywhere online where season 5 can be watched? I watched the first 4 seasons on netflix.

9. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Ektris-- My post (quoted) from April 2012, is above yours and that's how long ago Aithusa was introduced and why he wound up with Morgana. You'd need to go back to S4 to see it again.

Yep, even tho it's been some time ago for you guys and I did read spoilers at the time, I didn't commit them to memory, so I'll post as they air here. :D 

Gingerchris... I'll try to go back and compare notes. I know we feel the same about most things Gwen and the lack of security at the castle. :D 

Not sure about Netflix for S5...since they took such a long break maybe it will show up later...sadly it wasn't even listed on Syfy's On Demand listings either....again, just hoping it will show up later in the season.

10. Ektris

Ektris Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched season 4. I simply must have forgotten the very end bit of the finale...

11. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    I hear ya...I forget some of the eps too.... I should have watched or DVR'd the start of this season when Syfy re-aired them Friday. :) 

12. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Finished series tonight. Was I the only one instantly reminded of the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail with that final scene of Merlin by the lake? :lol 

13. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I series recorded the last series/season and completely forgot to watch it. Silly me.

I was starting to be irritated by Morgana which was why I didn't watch it as much as I once did. she rubs me up the wrong way like Doctor Who's modern take on The Master does too.

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I actually liked Morgana the first couple of seasons and then I got sick of her really fast and wanted to just be done with her. Having her pop up in every single episode of the final season was just overkill I think. I never want to see the main villian in every episode. I love Daleks but if they were in every single episode of Doctor Who they wouldn't seem like a threat.

And I really don't like how they handled Mordred. Out of all of the characters in all five seasons his had the most character building and really went some interesting directions. They made you like him, then dislike him, fear him, pity him, then really trust him and cheer for him when he was a knight. Having him suddenly switch to Evil Mode because his ambiguous girlfriend got hanged for attempting to kill Arthur, showed no remorse, turned down her chance for survival that Arthur gave her...it was just really silly and disappointing. I get that Mordred had to be the one to kill Arthur, but it could have been done in a tragic way. There's any number of ways he could have killed Arthur unintentionally. Instead we get, "Oh hi Morgana, i evil again, k?"

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I thought that too. Maybe it was intentional? I was half-expecting a load of police cars to drive into the scene and arrest him. :p 

16. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Finally broke down and ordered S4 and S5 on DVD....

The Diamond of the Day part 1 just aired Friday and I finally got around to watching it tonight...

Knew that Morgana couldn't permanently take away Merlin's powers but she just doesn't know when to quit, does she? :D 
    Loved the Crystal Cave scenes, especially with Merlin's father.

Kept hoping Kilgharrah would show up and help his Dragon Lord...maybe in part 2. I know in the previous ep he told Merlin he was old and it was almost 'his time' so I hope he makes a comeback in the finale....or that Aithusa knows he's been on the wrong side and comes to Merlin.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  17. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Well...the series finale airs tonight.... awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :cry 

18. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Okay...DVR'd the finale....and what a way to end such a promising series. I'm not MAD but very disappointed.

The scenes with Arthur, after all of Merlin's devotion, Arthur acted like such a twit with Merlin... guess getting skewered in the side makes you forget every TIME that scruffy servant saved YOUR ASS. Grrrr.
    They could have written Arthur just growing..maturing a bit...a lot wiser and understanding, but NOOOOO. There was a hint of it at the end...but not enough.

They took too damn long to get to the lake, if Merlin was going to call for Kilgharrah, why didn't he do it while Arthur was sleeping....like a whole day earlier? Probably would have had a chance to save him and screw up the finale I guess....things might have gone that way if there WAS another season...maybe? Even when Aithusa flew in...instead of sending him away, as Dragon Lord he could have used the younger dragon to take them...nope wasn't meant to happen.

The way Merlin took out Morgana was indeed ANTI-CLIMATIC. Big whoop...oops, this sword also has a little dragon's breath on it...Swoosh, you're dead. :lol 

Sooooooooo....we're left to presume that Kilgharrah leaves and dies of old age...if they live a 1000 years, then Aithusa has a slim chance of still being around....but that little fellow looked weak from the get-go...

As for the last scene with an ancient Merlin walking beside the highway, still lurking around the lake....WAITING. (When the truck first drove by, I thought OH SNAP, it's Optimus!! "We are here, we are waiting." :lol )

Like others, I wonder if we could have a Merlin movie for better closure, or we're just done?
    Probably done.
    I'd like to know if or did Merlin return to Camelot?...spend time with Gaius?...stayed there until he died, etc.

I have all the seasons on DVD now....maybe I'll watch 1-4 again...especially 1-3...after that, the series seemed to go downhill imho.

:rip 

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013