Mental Illness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shockwave9227, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Ohhh I sat through 8-Legged Freaks, and that f-ed my head the first time- CGI or not, it's just too much in 1 movie. (at least for me it was)

As a kid, we went to a museum once, it was a field trip, and in 1 part of the exhibit there was a GIANT life-like spider, with robotic moving parts.

(Looks up at the teacher) We're not going in there, are we?

"Of course, it's part of the exhibit."

(Glares at the teacher) I'm sure you're a good person and all, but I'm gonna say this very clearly, and I want you to hear me right now: I seriously hate your class. -_-

LOL

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Most medication is like that though. I have high blood pressure too and if I miss a day or don't call in my refills soon enough I feal it. I think it's a good reminder that being on the medication is necessary and that while you take it's helping to put something going wrong in your body right.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly I'm going insane. I feel like hurting people, at least verbally. Strangers out in public, I always suspect them of watching me or something. I've had a lot more prejudiced thoughts than before, it feels like I am going to explode. Honestly I may have to go to mental rehab, we'll see what my therapist has to say. I don't want to be locked up for months though and don't hand me that "oh that shouldn't matter if you really need help" crap.

4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Have you assessed for schizophrenia? Paranoia can come from a few different disorders, but schizophrenia is the main one.

5. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the past year, I was only diagnosed with major depression, bipolar II, and general anxiety disorder despite telling the professionals of these thoughts. My psychiatrist gave a pre-diagnosis of schizo-affective disorder but it was ruled out. My mom has paranoid schizophrenia and had to be hospitalized a few years ago.

6. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Ah. Bipolar disorder can have a paranoia side effect. Margot Kidder had that happen a few years back when her diagnosis became public.

If it continues, however, I'd recommend getting a second opinion. It never hurts. Not in all cases, but some cases of schizophrenia can be familial.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't usually pay attention to this thread much, but I do have a Masters in Social Work and a license to practice, and if it helps you getting help any no one is going to "lock you up for months" for anything like this. Insurance does not usually cover more than a day or so for observation. Anyone locked up for months is someone who can actually not function in society at all, you're fine. You are a not an immediate threat to anyone, wanting to hurt people verbally is probably not going to get you any observation time. I don't know what else you have disclosed with your therapist, but they can't change your diagnosis, they can add on. Of course people are diagnosed with something as a child and grow up, get more symptoms their diagnosis gets more added to it, completely normal and expected. Maybe some medication change, I don't think it's a big as a deal as you think it is. Definitely tell your therapist because right now it's verbal thoughts and without help you could react without thinking and hurt someone. You don't want to do that.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well there's no help for someone who doesn't want help.

9. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

@Rodimus74 I can't find your original post but I want to see you make it. Get some help brother. No reason why you can't have a happy life too.

Hang in there and get some professional help.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Been there, done that. When a therapist tells you there's nothing I can do for you it's pretty much game over.

11. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    I think your depression got so bad (left unchecked for too long) that you've become bullheaded about it and nothing the therapist does will take. In that case, yeah, they're telling the truth. Someone should've helped you sooner.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Just curious, did you refuse medications? It's a last resort, but it might help you if therapy doesn't. I can't imagine a therapist would be like "sorry you are SOL" unless you were unwilling to work with the treatment. An attitude change would help improve your mood too, that's something you have to work on by yourself. You have to want to change.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pudglor Shmormuff

That's exactly what I was just thinking.

14. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I have tried many medications but seem to suffer a lot of the side effects that come with them. Sometimes I find it amusing that one of the side effects of depression medication is suicidal thoughts. They might want to pull those ones off the market, don't you think?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pudglor Shmormuff

Well, I’m no expert, but I don’t think that particular side effect is so strong that after 1 thought: That’s it, you go ahead and do it.

Ya know?

If you start having those thoughts, then you definitely need to speak with whoever prescribed them to you, and possibly switch over to another medication.

Sometimes it takes some tweaking to find out which medications fit you best- I was on Zoloft for 4 years, had over 80% of the side effects, felt like a miserable lab rat- but then my doctor switched me over to Lexapro, and I’ve been great ever since.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Creatine supposedly helps with depression. Maybe try it out.

Also the importance of regular exercise cannot be over emphasised. It boosts your mood and makes you feel all around better.

Pick whatever floats your boat. Weight training, cardio or mix them up. What do you got to lose?

Boxing is a good one. Beat the shit out of a bag or a person. That always feels good.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  17. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I have major clinical depression, along with a touch of PTSD from the brain surgery that I had in 2015. I take antidepressants, antianxiety, and mood stabilizer pills. I was seeing a therapist until she quit the office that I was going to, so I'll probably get assigned another one.

18. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Saw my dad for the first time in 3 years today, to upgrade my phone, and exchange my office chair. He gave me one of those 'sorry you think that' BS apologies.

Thought maybe time away from them would help even if the parents never admitted what they did was wrong. Nope...I'm still really fucking angry. Back to the counselor.

--Moony

19. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    You can go to the counselor, but you must come to terms with this one thing: You can still love your parents but from afar. You don't have to be with them or near them to love them. Sometimes love works out best when there's separation, and time can help heal wounds.

My father in law is the same way as your father, same attitude. He demands everything of my wife and my brother in law and never, ever gives anything in return. My wife would bend over backward to get his approval and love on ANYTHING and I gave her the same advice I'm giving you. We moved, she doesn't call him, text him or PM him anymore. She's so much happier and only speaks to him when he makes the move. If he never does, it's his loss and not hers. She's done all she can, you've done all you can, it's time to love them from afar and be the best you that you can. Live for you, not the world.

Do what you can to help and love others, but get rid of the toxicity as much as you can, you'll be much happier for it.

20. Pudglor Shmormuff

Agreed- holding onto toxic memories and feelings only lessens your every-day quality of life- and it can further poison everything else- your current friendships, relationships, work partnerships, it can effect you social circle now just as much as it did back then- which is why it's best to let it go.

I still have bad memories and people I'd like to permanently forget, but every once in a while those wounds open up and it spills out- so I getcha.