Men In Black (movies) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by transfan681, Jun 18, 2012.

1. transfan681

transfan681 Retired TF Collector

News Credits:
    so after seeing the MIB3 trailer (late 2011) and got rehook of being a fan of the movies

so feel free to talk any thing MIB blow

2. transfan681

News Credits:
    any one hello ?

3. transfan681

News Credits:
    bring back this dead tread !

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i liked the first one, didn't see the second one until it was on tv, it was ok. but i loved the third.

it was fun. forgettable, but fun.

5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I still think the Animated Series is the best.

The first film was great, the second one was boring, haven't seen the third one yet.

6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The first film was a blast. It took the basic comic-book concept, a secret agency that monitors/regulates paranormal activity on Earth, and turned it into GHOSTBUSTERS with aliens. Contributing to the film’s success was primarily the sci-fi aspect of aliens hiding out amongst us (as any TFan understands, aliens in disguise among us is a great concept if well-handled), the buddy-cop factor of the veteran and the rookie (J and K make a great team, despite their differing temperaments), and of course Will Smith’s legendary song for the film.

In fact Smith sells the film as its main star. He is us, experiencing the MIB world for the first time through his eyes. And yet he is able to prove himself as a worthy agent, coming up with quick quips and able to keep level with established stars like Tommy Lee Jones and Rip Torn. This was one of Will Smith’s best ever films.

The second film wasn’t too good, just about average. To be fair, that year it was overshadowed by SPIDER-MAN. But even then it had to overcome a serious hurdle: the first film was a self-contained story that ended with K getting neuralyzed, so they wrote a DE-neuralyzer into the film as a way to get K back. It wasn’t a BAD move, but it needed more development (they could have said that some agents HAVE to be brought back and thus the deneuralyzer is needed – otherwise it’s just a plot device to bring K back).

Beyond that there were some other messed-up parts:
    - the villain is able to take ALL of MIB prisoner? An agency of the BEST of the best?
    - then the love stories for both J and K, those looked good but were ultimately unsatisfactory and part of the plot. The story is mainly about K and J, and that aspect was handled like K had never left at all (no way they could just get back together as rookie/veteran like that, not after five years in which J had proven himself as a vet agent).
    - and finally, much of the humour was way off: a dog in a suit, the car’s balloon agent, a sex shop in a locker, and an alien with testicles on his chin (that was an utter WTF moment).

However, at least the sideshow elements were great to see: David Cross and Jack Jeebs were nice to see back, as well as Frank the Pug (even if he got over-used); and on the new side there was Peter Spellos (Sky-Byte!) as a train conductor in a hilarious moment and what is nowadays seen as a show-stealing cameo by Michael Jackson .

The third film was a welcome return back to form, with its story a wonderful mix of logic, fun and emotion. The premise of time travel (K’s enemy Boris travels in time to kill K and change history, so J follows him), a traditionally complex idea, is handled simply enough so that the average viewer can follow what’s happening (and even have fun with it, as seen with J and the police officers); yet there is also a great twist in the story that puts things in a whole new light (time travel makes for a great method to reboot things) and gives a great emotional climax.

Smith and Jones are still good and reliable; the spark between those two never fades away. And although for the most part Jones is replaced with Josh Brolin as a younger Agent K, Smith has a good rapport with him too. For Agent O, Emma Thompson and Alice Eve do adequate as the character’s old and young versions. But the show-stealers are Michael Stuhlenberg as Griffin the deceptively childish alien and Jermaine Clement as Boris, the bestial but charming alien monster stalking K.

All in all, a great series to watch. It’s got fantasy and sci-fi, and mixes it up with two of the best and funniest buddy cops ever.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I always enjoye the franchise quite a lot, recently watched MIB III and it kicks all sorts of ass.

In particuar, I think Boris is the best villan of all three movies "Let's just agree to disagree."

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Edgar will always be my favorite MiB villain. The sheer wrongness of a giant cockroach crammed into a puny human skin beats out anything and everything else.
    Though Boris was pretty fun.

The cartoon was also decent, though it really feels worn out by the end. It does give us Alpha, who is another great villain, voiced by David Warner no less.

9. transfan681

News Credits:
    so who like to see a MIB4 ?

10. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

I enjoyed part 3 which improved over part 2 but the first is the best.

I saw the first one in theaters 6 times when i was a teenager and loved it, one of my fave sci-fi films ever.

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Oh damn, I missed MIB3? :( 

12. transfan681

News Credits:
    it geting relesese on dvd at the end november

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea lol it's getting a dvd release soon!

14. transfan681

News Credits:
  15. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Hopefully the villains will be threatening this time. None of them have seemed genuinely dangerous since Edgar.

I wish they would bring on David Warner as Alpha. He was a great villain in the cartoon, and given his old age, would still fit in as K's former mentor.

16. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I just watched the third one today. I thought it was good, but I did have some small issues with the plot, the special effects, and the oracle alien guy. I love the first one and the sequels are enjoyable to me despite some of the problems they both have.