Men hitting women?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gettogaara, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gettogaara

gettogaara Well-Known Member

Okay, so first of all I'm not talking about drunk guys beating on their wives for no particular reason because that's clearly not right. Also I'm talking about all ages, including girls and boys.

I'm just wondering what all of you think about this sort of thing. I hear alot of stuff about "Oh it's never okay to hit a girl" but I don't agree. If a girl is physically attacking you, in my opinion she should be hit back. Now I'm not talking about if she slaps you across the face but if she like goes off on you and seriously tries to hurt you. I've never punched a girl in the face but when I was in elementary school, this girl attacked me and started scratching up my face. I wasn't going to do anything but no one was stopping it so I grabbed her by the wrist and threw her on the ground. Suprisingly, I wasn't criticized much about this.

Another experience I had was in middle school where this huge girl punched me in the back of the head twice because she thought I was talking about her behind her back. I wanted to hit her but my friends held me back.

I mean, women pushed for equal rights and yet we still can't hit them if they attack us? What?

2. dsprks75

dsprks75 Well-Known Member

"Ain't nobody above an ass whoopin" - Chris Rock

3. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

I agree, but only for self-defence.

4. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    If a girl/boy was trying to seriously hurt me for no apparent reason, I'd hurt them back. I don't care what age too.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This thread may get locked.

In any event, I don't think it's right to hit anyone without some form of provocation. I wouldn't hit a woman just like I wouldn't hit an elderly man, a child, or some random dude at a bar.

BUT - I'm not going to let a woman hit me repeatedly for no reason either.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Noone deserves to be hit, or physically assaulted in any way. While I get what you're trying to say, and there certainly is something to say about how the "never hit a girl" attitude may tie into pretty entrenched and awful stereotypes of women being weak and defenseless, it also holds true that, statistically, women are physically smaller than men, and you ESPECIALLY shouldn't hit someone smaller than you.

As to self-defense, you do have a right to protect yourself, but that level of force should be proportional to the threat involved. Like you said in your case, someone attacked you, you pushed them away/down (and I hope that was the end of it), and noone really had an issue with that.

In the other situation, hitting someone back wouldn't have fixed anything, and would have just escalated the situation (since it doesn't sound like she was going to keep hitting you after the punches to the back of the head). You certainly wouldn't have had anything to gain by fighting someone who I'd imagine was smaller and lighter than you. I hope you reported the girl for assaulting you though, and that she was punished accordingly.

On the other hand, it's important to remember that women are overwhelmingly the victims of assault by men (especially in cases of domestic abuse), rather than by women. Worldwide, one in three women has been a victim of domestic abuse. Perpetuating an idea that it's not okay for men to hit women (or anyone, but especially women, since that seems to be a somewhat larger issue) may have some benefit. Not because women inherently need protection or are weak or helpless by nature of their gender, or any bullshit like that, but because it's a pressing, global problem that needs attention so it can be addressed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree, although everyone should take into account the size and threat level of the person attacking you. The whole "you should never hit a girl no matter what" thing is the worst kind of sexism.

8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Scary Melting Stripe Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Hitting women is wrong, but pushing them down stairs is permissible.

9. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    these

10. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's fine to hit anyone, no matter who you are and no matter who they are, if it's in self defense. I always that it was stupid and sexist when people said that men/boys can't his women/girls if they're being seriously attacked by one. As Aernaroth said, though, you shouldn't use more force than is necessary. You should only do what you need to do to make sure you/whoever is being attacked is safe, and it's not okay to use a ridiculous amount of force on someone way smaller/weaker than you.

11. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

If they want to fight like men they should be treated like men I think the saying goes.

12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    There's no reason to hit anyone. Hitting back is not self defense. Blocking and holding is self defense.

13. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Words of wisdom right here.

[​IMG]

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's great as long as the person attacking you gets tired and gives up after you block their attack. Good luck with that happening.

15. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    hence the hold part

16. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wrong. Self defense is getting away from the aggressor as fast and as safely as possible.
    Go ahead, grab my arms if I'm attacking you. Guess what? You're in even CLOSER striking distance, and for a smaller person, it means you could probably be carried off.

My 10-year old daughter is a purple belt. She's learned from day one that the first priority is to get away, and if all else fails, hit smartly and effectively, then get away.
    As far as hitting girls/women, if they're attacking, they need stopped. Easy as that. Being smart about stopping them is where the line can easily get crossed.

17. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Doesn't matter what gender, you have the right to defend yourself, just don't get carried away. The most important thing to remember is that your mouth will get you hemmed up long before your actions will.

18. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Unless you're a child or elderly person, if you come at me with the mindset of harming me, all bets are off, regardless of your gender.

19. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    In my experience working in large crowds were fights do break out, anything in self defense is okay. However, there is a very fine line when it comes to what's self defense and what isn't.

I recall one instance where a woman was just laying some huge punches on a guy who was trying to walk away. When the woman kept following, he had to resort in getting behind her and simply bear hugging her while simultaneously begging for help to subdue the woman.

Oakland Police showed up and arrested the woman.

20. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

I have a friend whose exgirlfriend was very liberal with the violence. She woke him up once with a frying pan to the head. While I think he would have been well within his rights to fight back the law would have been pretty unkind to him. I read about an episode of cops where some guy called because he was being abused by his wife and the cops showed up and he was bloody with torn clothes and the woman was unscathed. The cops handcuffed and took the guy away. Virtually any time a guy complains of being abused by a woman they are laughed at or told to toughen up.

I think that whoever initiates violence has lost any kind of moral defence against the same, as long as its in proportion. That said a guy can be arrested and charged because a woman hit him with a hammer he reached out and grabbed her to stop himself falling. Likewise if some woman his hitting you in public and you hit her back expect an ass whooping from most of the guys who saw it.

It might be morally sound to defend yourself but a lot of the time you will be considered the bad guy regardless of circumstances. Despite this all the wife beaters of the world seem to be immune to any kind of retribution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.