Mel Blanc as a Transformers (if he was still alive or during the 80's)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Toei, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

You guys might not think he will match as a Transformers voice. But I still like him and I'm defently happy he did a few 80's cartoons before he died.

Anyway, if Mel Blanc (the original Bugs Bunny) did a voice in Transformers, who do you think he could've been.

I think he defenetly could've been Megatron himself using his Mr. Spacely voice. Or Rumble and Frenzy using his Heathcliff voice.

Anyone else?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Mel Blanc's talent was such that he could have done any number of characters with each one's voice unique, so to me at least its impossible to narrow it down. The man was just that talented.

3. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

STRAIGHT TRUTH, my man. Mel Blanc was awesome.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He would have been everyone.

I mean everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread over, I think it needs to be closed.

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It was a lot more than a "few" -- Blanc was still working up until he died in 1989. He was still voicing characters for a handful of TV series throughout the 80s, in addition to his stable of characters for various Looney Tunes productions.

But I'll acquiesce that his work didn't involve many series that are considered today as "80s cartoons".

Blanc's forte was comedic characterizations. And although there were a fair amount of his comedic voicing peers in the G1 cast (Welker, Messick, Stephenson, etc.), it was a kid-friendly animated drama and I actually don't think he would have been a good fit for G1...even as big a fan as I am of his work.

I do wonder if Blanc auditioned or if he was asked to audition for G1 -- it makes me curious enough to try contacting Wally Burr to ask.

But with Blanc's high demand and work schedule at the time, I don't think he was "working for scale" as they say in the industry (meaning standard union pay for actors). So even if they'd wanted him for the show, I don't think he would've been in the budget, so to speak.

As for what characters he might have voiced for G1 -- hard to say since many of the voices are now inseparable from the characters for me. But Kremzeek immediately comes to mind, one of the Quintesson faces, or some of the human villains like Dr. Archeville and Lord Chumley. I'd have to think about which of the TF characters might have been fun with him, although I'd agree that he could have pulled off performing the entire cast of characters by himself... it would have just resulted in a really different show.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

In terms of acting talent, Mel Blanc could have voiced, like, the ENTIRE G1 cartoon. Mel seems most attracted to comedic, family-friendly roles, like Voiceroy pointed out. Although he might have excelled with a character like Megatron, he would probably not pick that role. With that in mind, I think he'd have been fantastic for:

Warpath, Seaspray, Cosmos, Bumblebee, Hound, Wheeljack, Huffer, and ALL male human roles. I can't really think of any "funny" Decepticons, but oddly enough I think Mel would be a fantastic Starscream. I can imagine Mel giving Starscream a mischievous, unpredictable energy. That being said, I think the cast we got for G1 was fantastic, and Mel Blanc's participation wouldn't have improved the already fantastic quality of the acting.

If he were still alive, I'd imagine Animated would seem custom-made for him.

7. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Mel was still doing voices in the 80's. But he didn't do any action cartoons like Transformers and GIJoe. He was just still doing his older characters and Heathcliff.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I imagine him doing some 'cute but tough' robot character, like Bumblebee and/or Brawn, using a voice much like that of Twikki from the Buck Rogers TV shows.

... without the "beedeebeedeebeep." :) 

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Stampy.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Cyclonus. He had the ears. "What's up, Scourge?"

11. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

:lol 

Mel Blanc = most hilarious VA of all time. He would have made an excellent Wreck-Gar.

Bugs Bunny is my text message tone, and whenever it goes off everyone around me, young and old, laughs. Blanc is a timeless performer.