Megs' Earth mode

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I just read on wikipedia that it has been confirmed that Megatron will assume an Earth Alt mode at some point in the film, although it is unclear what that alt mode will be. Let's have some speculation, people! what do you think Megs will be when he reformats from the alien jet to something earthbound?

2. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

If it's true, I reckon it'll still be something airborne.
    Writer Bob Orci said the reason MEGS is a "Cybertronian" aircraft is because they needed him to fly, but not in robot mode like in the cartoon.

Specifically, tough to guess. Would a C-130 gunship be too big?

3. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    hmmm...those are pretty large, but so is megatron! he's chunky and taller than all the rest at 10.2 metres...you know, you may be right, that could be it. but i think it might be a bit too big. you are right about airborne though.

4. WeX_nFx

WeX_nFx ArtDesign TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Megs

If he was to assume any earth mode towards the end I would hope it be something like.. one of those planes that can hover in mid air! What the heck are they called...I dont know I just woke up! Its the one kinda like from TRUE LIES! ARNOLD! except upgraded model...

5. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    A Harrier Jet??

6. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

Don't forget that wikipedia's movie article isn't written by the movie team or even people related to the movie, but by fans, who are merely gathering information and rumors. There actually is no official confirmation of a megatron earth mode for the first movie. If you watch that Tom DeSanto interview referred to in the wikipedia article, he says Megatron will have an alternate mode, and that is all he says. Nothing about the mode being an earth mode (the interviewer is somewhat to blame for the confusion because of the way he formulates the question).

If he had one though, it'd need to be something pretty big, seeing as Megs is the biggest robot in the movie.

7. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

In the videos of his interview with TFs fans in the Toronto convention(the 2nd video to be precise),Don Murphy said that the mass of the vehicle will reflect the high and mass of the TFs. Megatron is over 30 ft tall, so think of a military vehicle big enough that will reflect for Megatron's own mass and size.

8. Salazaar

Salazaar Banned

hi!

9. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Howdy!

IMO, Megs needs to be something kinda large, imposing, and menacing, but agile and "in scale" with his assumed size at the same time. I think the C-130 would be too large and not quite the right aesthetic. Harrier jet, maybe, but more modern. I think there's a new VTOL fighter out there that could fit him well.

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    :confused: 

But seriously, I like the idea of a VTOL and did a little hunting around on the Googles but I couldn’t find any real world VTOL jet fighters out side of the newest update of the Harrier.

11. Rampage01

Rampage01 knockoff of a knockoff

Considering that the MH-53 that Blackout turns into is about the same size, the C-130 actually seems like a pretty good choice. I beleive the MH-53 is actually about a foot longer, but the C-130 is bulkier, so Megatron would still be bigger than even the largest of his soldiers.

12. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

There is not an update to the Harrier. At least, not one that the US will buy. The Harrier is an old British jet. US companies are developing what is the F35. It is a VTOL aircraft that will replace the Harrier in the US arsenal. BUT, it is NOT an updated Harrier.

13. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    I hadn’t found info on the F-35 in my short Googleing and never meant to imply the currant version of the Harrier was necessary used by America.

14. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Came up first search for the f-35 on google. The replacement to the Harrier is found here: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-35.htm

15. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

Only problem is the f-35 is smaller than the F-22 (starscream)

I still think the Northrop Switchblade would work

16. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Yes, and Wikipedia just happens to be the world's foremost source of correct information.

The bottom line is, we have seen or heard nothing that suggests Megatron will be getting an Earth alt mode. I call shenanigans.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Well if Meg's does get an Earth mode afterall, what do you think the purpose would be? Something better equipped to deal with Earth's atmosphere or simply a disguise to hide from the Autobots as he's trying to escape?

18. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

This model is also a more economic approach to it (the parts are more modular and other cost effective stuff).

Beoing lost out on the F-35 (forgot what the project name was... X-plane?) deal when they made a VTOL that looked very much like a Macross Ghost drone. Ironically, last I heard, they were gonna turn it into an unman aircrafter instead (they did a good job so they got contracted for that instead since the final decision for the project went down to traditional asthetics).

The only given is Megatron is going to be a military plane... and most probably stealth. There's quite a few experimental planes that looked badass on the drawing board, so they'll most likely pick a design that never went into production. Didn't one of the producers/actor confirm this?

I was gonna say Megs could be the new space shuttle design Nasa has planned but that's just too great an oppertunity to introduce a new character in the sequels.

EDIT: Wouldn't mind it if Megs was a modern MiG-31 Firefox >_<

19. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    Well if he does have an earth mode and is an aircraft the MiG-MFI looks to be kinda cool. I did a little looking into on developmental aircraft and this fifth gen MIG project looks pretty evil looking and is fairly large. It's not an American built but thats what makes it feel more menacing.

20. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    The problem I see with the Mig is if the movie is set in the U.S. how is Megs going to have accesses to a foreign plane to scan?