Megatron's Voice Question?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by vektsilver, Jul 13, 2007.

1. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

1.) So if you had the time machine right now would you still choose weaving over welker knowing what it sound like now.

2.) Second is IF (big if ) megtron lives for the second movie could the damage done to the area near his voice box make a nice entrance for welker as a voice change or would that be to drastic a change in character.

After hearing how few lines and how Weaving sounded alot more like Leonard nemoy's Galvatron, I still can't figure out why they wouldn't go with Welker. I think Welker's voice had more depth and dimension to it plus the identifiable nature of it actually being the original voice would have been much better.

I think Weaving gets way to much credit and pub for the vanilla voice job.
    obviously I'm pro welker in this but my reasons are valid as someone who works in sounds and effects alot I can see the welker voice being much more intriguing and just as believable with the same effects that were used for weaving with out the kiddie aspect as so many have sighted.

EDIT: I think what I am going to do as I have read the posts here is try to take some of the content either from the new game or some old G1 samples and try to make it go Hollywood with some good ol fasion sound FX work then post it here and no it would just be a cheap echo or flange. :)  Then we can see what people think cause the problem is they are thinking welker as the cartoon you need to envision him with more direction and same effects that weaving was given.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I don't like the way welker does megatron now. he cant do the old voice anymore, so there's no reason to even consider him as megatron.

3. Sludge

Sludge Formerly NC Bulkhead

News Credits:
    I think his voice fit the character perfectly. I love Welker as G1 Megatron, but it wouldn't have worked for me. I hope Hugo Weaving stays as Megatron.

4. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

I agree wholeheartedly. I was somewhat disappointed that Weaving's Megatron did not sound distinctive at all.

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I dunno, I liked Welkers reprisal of Megatron for the game. But Weaving did ok. I'd be more concerned about if they're actually going to make Megatron look good for the second one. I'm sorry if this bends a few people out of shape, but movie Megs just looked really silly, and unimaginative to me.
    It's a no brainer, Megatron's coming back. Transformers is based off a comic, and cartoon series. One thing I've learned about comic books, nobody ever really stays dead. And besides, Megs needs to redeem himself after his performance in the movie. I mean come on, he let the humans kill him. Though if for idiotic reasons Megatron doesn't come back, I'd be cool with Shockwave.

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

He definatly let Agent Smith sneak in every once in a while, I noticed.

7. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

i loved welker.he was great in g1 and the old movie.
    i loved nimoy as galvatron.just so utterly evil..."unicron,my master..."
    i loved kaye.he was great in the beast era and solid elsewhere,if reading bad dialogue since.
    i loved weaving.a lot better than anyone predicted,including me.

i think this could easily end up being a "favorite megatron" thread,since obviously the 4 actors in question all did well-i think-and it really comes down to context.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    how many threads about this we gonna have now?

Weaving FTW

i've heard both voices come out of the movie megs design and weaving takes the cake by far. welkers voice is great for the G1 megs design but man. it just dont fit with the new one. weavings was awesome. very vicious. very deep. very evil. very "megatron". [but josh, you say, how can it be "megatron" without being welker? *rolls eyes* :p  you guys care about nostalgia too much to consider accepting anything new]

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Weaving did an amazing job, sounded very sinister.

Welker just does NOT work for this Megs at all, and IF Megs is in the next movie Weaving should reprise the role.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I think Welker's Megatron blows, nuff said. And this isn't a jab at G1 fans, it just wasn't a very menacing voice. Weaving's Megatron sounds devilishly evil, like he'll rip you in half if you get in his way, which he did.

11. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Basically sums up how I feel. Don't get me wrong, Welker is an incredible VA, but honestly I couldn't stand listening to him in the game. It just didn't fit the design at all for me.

So again I'll say to keep Weaving, the voice works better for the new design.

12. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Welker, not treated to sound mechanical, resulted in Season 3 GALVATRON. That was, in my opinion, just about the worst & innapropriate voice that series produced in all four seasons.

Welker didn't get the job in the movie as he wasn't considered suitable - Why should he be granted it for a sequel?? If he was considered right he would have got it from the off...

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Bring back Weaving. Welker, unfortunatly, can't do G1 Megs anymore, and when he tries, it sounds... lame.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quoted for reading my mind:

15. Lugnutz

Lugnutz Member

Actually, Megatron's voice in the cartoon is very close to Welker's untreated voice. The only difference was the robotic 'twang' they added to all the Decepticon voices. S3 Galvatron was simply a case of Frank altering his voice to fit the character.:) 

16. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

When I first heard Megatron speak in the game I was a bit dissapointed and immediatley wanted Weaving lol. For me it just didnt fit the design at all. I still love Welker's voice but I cant fit it to Movie Megs at all. Nonetheless, Weaving did a great job I was pleased with his work.

17. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I still think that they could have synth'd Welker's voice to "fit" movie Megs (or otherwise had him modify it a bit), I don't really care who does it now. All the hubbub about Weaving - and you couldn't even tell it was him - to me, just more $$ that could go towards robot action.

But I WILL say that to not get Welker for ANY voice role in the sequel(s) would just be a crying shame. The man's too talented & well-loved by the fan-base (and once you know what he's done, the GP has been like "wow") to shut him out, IMO.

After all, until I looked it up upon the announcement of Corey Burton for the new TF animated - I was like "Spike, Brawn AND Shockwave - same dude?!!" A talented VA can adapt as needed - and I don't think anyone can say that Welker isn't still very talented.

18. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

No, Welker is a GOD among VA's!

19. Lugnutz

Lugnutz Member

Come to think of it, wasn't it announced that Welker would be voicing another role in the movie? Didn't happen, did it?

20. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    the voice sounded good, but the only thing bothering me was i think he needed a little more color cause it was kind of hard to tell where everything was lol