Megatrons Motivations: Delusions of Godhood (Comic and Movie Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Master Fwiffo, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    Gather 'round folks, its time for another one of Fwiffos Massive Output of Loosely If Not Entirely Unsupported Theories of Character Motivation.

But before we dive into Movie Megatron, lets take a look into the past.

G1 Megatron was about Power. Of course, we never actually defined Power throughout the three season run, but he wanted it. And Oh Boy did he want it. Megatron wanted to rule the Earth, Cybertron, the Universe, whatever, and he did that through the philosphy of Strongest Wins. With G1 Megatron, it was all about strength. Armada Megatron seemed to have a similar philosophy, and as poorly developed as he was, RID Megatron did at well.

But BW/BM Megatron was not content with simple rule. No, he wanted something more. Subtely hinted at throughout BW, Megatron liked absolute control. He controlled Rampage by ripping out his spark, and he controlled his other minions through fear and intimidation- and he even took control of the time stream with his attempt to kill Optimus Prime. But Beast Machines took it one step further.

Even Control of his Minions wasn't enough. Megatron wanted more. While never explicitly stated, when you examine everything BM Megatron does, you arrive at one sole conclusion: He wanted to become Primus - He wanted to be the Transformers God. Everything, from becoming the Allspark to 'reformatting Cybertron in my own image!' was with the goal of him replacing Primus as God. Cybertron/GF Megatron followed in his steps, wanting to possess the 'planet forces' and become a God as well.

But lets move up to the movie.

For the longest time, we've been wondering about Movie Megatrons motivation. Sure, we all know he's after the Allspark, but does he really just want it for power? Does he really just want it so he can build an unstoppable army?

Or is there something else in play?

Like BM Megatron before him, I believe that movie Megatron wants to be a God. My proof? Prequel Comic # 2.

Megatron cares little for simply conquering. It even says he cares nothing about Cybertron. Megatron wants more then that. He wants ABSOLUTE Power. Not just 'I am stronger then everyone else!', no, he wants the power to control life and death itself.

Imagine that kind of power! Everything in the universe MUST bow before you, because you control the very essence of being! Their souls, sparks, whatever you wish to call them. You can breath a new life into the most worthless object- or simply wish away the most powerful.

The Allspark is not some mere trinket, it's the power of a God in corpreal form. G1 Megatron would seek it out of some desire for another benificial energy source. Movie Megatron seeks it so it can grant him the power of absolute Godhood.

So, that's my theory. Agree? Disagree? Hate me all the same?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That makes a lot of sense, and I personally agree with it. I however think that these types of threads, that are based around opinion, are worthless posting. It's nothing personal, or anything like that, but they do seem to bring about a lot of arguing over something none of us have seen yet, and won't for a while.

3. surak777

surak777 Autobot Musician TFW2005 Supporter

I agree, villians like movie/Beast Megatron, or Hitler want to play god, or use other creatures be it human or robots or minions as pawns in a grand chess game.

Power. power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think this is the scheme of the evil ones. this kind of villian doesn't allow for say g1 starscream to constantly bicker as this stands contrary to Megatron's power

"Megatron, one day you will fail, and I will rule the.."

sound of Fusion Cannon blast.... F15 parts spill on the floor...

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's what I love about BW Megs (and hopefully movie Megs) is that he was a calculating and very intelligent leader. He was planning the effects of re-writing history ever since he stole the golden disc, using the old 'quest for physical power' trek to hide his true ambitions. The trip to prehistoric earth was no accident.

From what you have discribed and what we already know, it's true that movie Megatron will have the same form of, what's the phrase... aquiring motives, which is good since we're supposed to get two more movies out of this deal.

5. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    Do you always post everything on both boards simultaneously? ;-)

6. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Maybe you are right about BW Megs, but I got the impression that he actually WAS there for the Energon, and that altering history was a desperate gamble of a back-up plan. Something prepared for, but not his first option.

With a possible attitude like what Fwiffo described, it will be interesting to see how the movie plays out.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He descibed in detail to Ravage exactly what his plan was. He was always out to follow-up on the original Megatrons plans, when he found the golden disc, he sought to re-write history.

When Ravage mention how he beleived Megatron was out for the energon, he said:

8. PunkMaister

PunkMaister Well-Known Member

That sounds just about right but since SS is prominently featured in the movie either SS is a wuss in this film or Megs is not that kind of villain your pick...

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Just because Starscream is in the film, doesn't mean he's as retar... arrogant as G1 Starscream. He is most likely still a scemer, just not a loud-mouth idiot scemer.

10. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    that sounds right to me.. more of an only-cares-about-his-own-ass-and-would-be-more-liekly-to-just-leave-megatron-dying-than-shout-that-he-would-be-glad-if-he-was-dead kind of character. in short, yeah, not so much of an idiot.

11. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I just felt that he was telling Ravage what he wanted to hear. Anything to get him to switch sides. After all, Ravage was (in the story) a skilled and experienced soldier, with a powerful and fully functioning ship on his side. And Megatron would have been imprisoned and carted back to Cybertron if he couldn't convince Ravage to join him.

But as I said, that's just how I saw it. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    But remember, he had the partial recording of G1 Megs, besides, it was a T.V. show, if that were the case, the writters would have certainly expanded on that or have Megatron explain it somehow.

Besides, with the way everything fit together (with the exception of the quantum surge, TM2 Megs and OP OP) it would seem out of place for Megatron to make up a story like that.

13. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Well as long as he stays a power hungry bastard I love him all the same. :lol 

However Im not sure the motive of making an unstopable army is the best.....who needs an army when you have yourself with the most powerfull object in the universe lol!!!!

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    A bit like Cybertron Starscream, perhaps?

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Rude responses like this make me glad there's an ignore button.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    But it's kinda pointless when people quote the person your ignoring.:) 

Nah, I'm just goofin' with ya, he's on my list too.

17. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    quite possibly, i havent seen cybertron though

18. PunkMaister

PunkMaister Well-Known Member

I know a whole lot of people that would that comment about SS blasphemous...
    Anyway if Megs is anything like Stalin, Saddam etc. SS would have to be a wuss to remain alive period and the evidence points out that he is! Just a drone taking orders...

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Either that, or indispensable. The main reason G1 Megatron never just ripped Starscream in half was never weakness of stupidity; it was because he was so good at his job - killing Autobots.

20. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

IIRC in the Marvel comics that was EXACTLY the reason Megatron brought Starscream back as a Pretender. And again brought him back in the G2 comic. Never understood that logic myself though, but whatever it made for good reading :D 

*Goes off to read Marvel UK G1*

But Dreamwave's Megatron (Mick and Patryk version) seemed A LOT less tolerant of Starscream's treacherous ways. Which is why I liked DW Megatron better then Marvel, he was less stupid ;)