Megatrons gun (possibly spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chaos Prime, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Something's been bugging me about movie Megatron lately. Well....alot of things bug about that Megatron but I'm talking about thing in particular; Megatrons fusion cannon. And I'm suprised no ones mentioned this before.
    Was anyone dissappointed about that peashooter he was armed with?
    I mean Megatron's always been known for have a huge cannon of sorts. And when Megatron transformed his arms together, I was kinda weirded out for a moment that his fusion cannon looked more like a sniper rifle, and I was even more wierded out that the very worst his cannon could manage was that at virtually point blank it sent Prime into a building, and I think he even blew up a car. Either way, I found it to be a dissappointing weapon.
    I mean not to get G1 TOO into this, but the original Megs cannon was said to be able to destroy a small town, while movie Megs could destroy a whole car.
    All of the other Megatrons were armed with powerful cannons, while the movie version had a sling shot.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    had megatron's gun been as strong as it has been in other fiction, he would honestly have been unstoppable. every autobot dead instantly, no reason to chase sam, and the autobots would have never survived on cybertron.

notice that when megatron has a super-powerful gun, he rarely ever uses it? thats to keep that weapon from completely destroying the plot.

3. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I totally agree with you there. I mean sure that Megs in every universe has a BFG somewhere and that the movie it was like you said a peashooter. I guess they had to tone this down to be more real life then the cartoons suggest. But I too would of love to see more damage and stuff like in the cartoons.

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

True, a G1 type of fusion cannon would have ended the movei really quick. Haha! I guess my point was, Megatron converted his arms to form a single weapon, and all that came out was a spit ball. I would have liked his weapon to have a little more 'Uumph' to it. Not TOO much, just something to back up that gun a little.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    that shot had a lot of power to it though. it sent prime flying, and he's a big, heavy transformer with super-strong alien alloys for armor. no telling what that shot would do to anything non-transformer.

6. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

A spit ball that knocked a huge, heavy Optimus Prime backwards half a block and partway through a building...

Geez, half the people here complain that Optimus Prime got his ass handed to him by Megatron, the rest complain Megatron wasn't powerful enough. :rolleyes2 

7. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well yea, Optimus did get his ass handed to him in that fight. My point was that he was practically shot a point blank, if not close to it by Megatrons alleged cannon. He probebly should have been blown to smithereens, but the fact he merely got thrown into a building tells me that Prime walked away from that virtually unharmed, considering what probebly should have happened.

8. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

A gun that throws a thirty foot robot into a building with one inaccurate shot?

Remember, Prime's cannon hit Megatron in the shoulder and he took it with ease.

9. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

It's like a sniper rifle. It's small, not too loud(silencer) and can kill humans with one shot. Also, maybe Megs decided not to charge it or whatever, he needed a quick shot so Prime wouldn't shoot again

BTW anyone like how Megs regained balance so quickly? Prime's shot makes him spin, then he crouches perfectly like nothing happened

10. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I'm inclined to believe that if Prime had not deliberately taken the shot, Megatron's cannon would've completely leveled a lot more than just a couple of buildings behind Prime.

Although it seemed like Blackout had the heaviest firepower in the movie, his cannon practically incinerated everything in its path.

Perhaps Megatron's cannon this time around causes more focused damage rather than collateral?

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    This is also just assuming that he used his full firepower in that one shot.

It is completely possible that he could have used a much more powerful shot than he did.

12. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

Perhaps Megs didn't have enough energon for a full power blast. He was running on "Empty" thousands of years before when he went through the ice. Then another century with humans tinkering on him.
    As for the Megs vs. Prime fight? Lets see........ Prime had just finished getting speared by BoneCrusher and fell off a freeway overpass. He had a battle with Barricade. Then he was pounded two one until 1/2 killed in Mission City before ever tackling Megs. Two of those three battle scenes were cut from the theater movie.
    Now Megs shows up without a scratch in his paint job to battle Prime. Well guess who wins?

13. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I don't think crashing in the arctic, being frozen for thousands of years, and then being transported a few hundred miles wouldn't leave a scratch on you. Also, we see Jazz shooting Megs right before he kills him.

Also, since he just "woke up" from thousands of years of sleep, I would guess he's "not at optimal performance"

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    G1 Megatron's cannon could destroy a town? Was this in a comic or something and was never really mentioned again?

It wasn't really that powerful, was it? If you go by the cartoon, the only time he ever did any significant damage was in the animated movie.

15. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I dunno...the Transformers Ultimate Guide mentioned that Megatron's fusion cannon could shatter a mountain.

But I've been told to take Simon Furman's words with a pinch of salt.

16. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

1) I think hes talking about Megatron's Tech spec which tells a hell of alot more information on characters than any series ever did.

2) Cartoons don't tell you much. I mean cartoons are in their own little world. I mean Brawn getting killed with one blast, Prowl getting killed with one shot (That wasn't even Megs' gun). Thats insane considering their durability rating are both a 9/10.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i thought it was really kickass in the movie how he formed his gun.

18. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

I did too!

19. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Yea it was pretty cool. It was just a downer that a puny little shot fired out of it.

20. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    And when did G1 Megatron have a powerful cannon? Up until the movie it was usless.