Megatron's alt mode in TF1 - something I noticed.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AllSpark Shard, Sep 2, 2011.

1. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Hi. Some time ago I noticed this, I dunno if somedy else had the same idea.

But it seems to me, that Megatron's alt mode in the first movie, the Cybertronian jet, is inspired by the alt mode of Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp back when they lived on Cybertron, in the first episode of the "More than meets the eye" mini-series.

Check the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seems to me there's a connection. And if it was not inspired by G1, talk about coincidence xD

Of course, the movie design is far more elaborate and also looks much more like being of an alien origin than the design in G1, but maybe Megatron's alt mode is also another element taken from the G1 cartoon or at least influenced by it, as Orci and Kurtzman said they were such big fans of it.

I think they are really similar. And I think this alt mode, both in the movie and the G1 cartoon, was awesome.

What do you think?

2. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't see it. At all. The G1 seekers are basically flying pyramids with flush lines and smooth curves, whereas TF1 Megs is basically just an indistinguishable jagged piece of shrapnel that only resembles a "jet" because it happens to fly.

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    In the sense that they are Cybertronian aircraft, then yes you are right. However the designs share virtually no aesthetic properties beyond both having wings.

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    This.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    You're reaching here.

They really could have fixed that easily by having his "nosecose" split to be his arms, rather than just have it be a separate piece that doesn't serve a purpose in bot mode.

6. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There would be an extremely slight resemblance if Megatron's vehicle mode had one nosecone instead of three, due to the vaguely pyramidal shape on his tail, but as it is, I don't see a very big similarity. Also, the fact that Orci and Kurtzman are fans of the G1 cartoon probably doesn't matter, since they were writers, and probably would have had little to no say in the visual designs of characters.

7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Sure, maybe.

8. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    I think you're a bit off. The design is closer to RiD Megatron's jet mode:

[​IMG]

9. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

Yeah, I looked at the two images - several times - and I don't see it either, sorry.

^This, however, speaks pure truth.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Okay that i see being the influence.

11. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Due to my cousin not having a TF1 leader megatron, I taught him how to make his beast machines jetstorm look like megatron's jet.

12. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Don't see it, but these movies are full of G-1 references.

13. alanyap

alanyap Will work for LEGO

there's more to meg in regard to his alt mode in TF1. Sector 7 was rigged to allow meg to escape. When he awoken , introduce himself then transformed and flew off , his wingspan conviniently able slip through the tunnel aka escape hatch snugly in record speed.

14. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Of course. What fun would the final battle have been if Megatron attempted to fly through the tunnel, only to have his wings snapped off and he skidded to a halt on the ground? ;) 

I think it's more a matter of convienence, rather than S7 building it in that manner. As I pointed out above, Megatron needed to get out. The tunnels were conveniently big enough. And even if S7 planned for it, they probably allowed such big tunnels simply for the transport of beings his size, rather than "Hey, let's make sure these tunnels have a diameter of at least 65 feet, just in case NBE-1 here decides to break free, transform into an alien aircraft and book it out of here. We don't want him scratching up the walls!"

15. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Yeah.

16. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're pushing it too hard.

17. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    This

18. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Two excellent posts that perfectly describe what I'm thinking in a well written manner that I could not reproduce.

19. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Tho the one that said that Orci and Kurtzman had no say in Megatron's alt mode:

In dvd2 of the first film, they themselves said that they didnt want Megatron to Transform into a gun because that would be the equivalent of Darth Vader transforming into his lightsaber and then being swayed by someone else.

So, at least, in Megatron's case, they did have a say in his alt mode. Obviously they didnt design it, or maybe they didnt choose it, but their opinion had an impact in the character. I think the one that chose his alt mode was Jeff Mann, the production designer, also in dvd2 of TF1, he explains Megatron's alt mode was chosen to show him as proud of his Cybertronian origin, arrogant enough as to not try to disguise himself and due to the strong alien design of his alt mode, the purpose was to shown how truly foreign the Transformers were. Also, Michael Bay had some influence in the alt mode selection, I think.

So maybe Megatron's alt mode wasnt directly influenced by G1, but there is at least a coincidence xD there were also Decepticons with cybertronian aircraft alt modes in the G1 cartoon.

20. HulksmashU

HulksmashU Multiversal-Conqueror

No, it looks like a jet caus it has a nose-cone and wings

being able to fly doesn't relate to how it looks :p