Megatron - will we EVER see a good toy of him?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to disagree with the Alt modes having a purpose theory. They're robots in disguise.

A useful alt mode is a big plus, but IMO it's mainly so they can blend in an alien environment.

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I agree with you on some levels ( starter of topic.) but i have to disagree on others. I think some of the megs that have been made have been excellent. energon megs is awesome, as is galaxy force megs. I will agree with you though that there hasent been a great representation of G1 megs, and yes G2 tank megs is the best toy representation of the original megatron character.. so far. I do think that'll change once classics megs hits the shelves.

3. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Right in the beginning of G1, I would have agreed but then how are Perceptor, Shockwave, and the Dinobots explained? I mean one's a giant microscope and the other is a big, purple space gun. Now, one could say that Shockwave didn't give two hoots but what about Perceptor? How do you explain a giant microscope as a disguise? The Dinobots did have origins but really, how good of a disguise are giant, steel gray/gold plated dinosaurs? I think once it was explained that people thought they were Japanese monster movie props or something like that before Starscream wiped them out in the Marvel comics.

The Beast Wars robots did transform into animals but how good are some of those disguises? A purple dino? A red pterodactyl? A couple giant spiders? Even as the series progressed, the alt modes became less and less like disguises.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I totally agree that comparatively speaking, there has never been a toy that really evokes G1 Megatron. Since I grew up with him, G1 Megatron will always be the archetypal version of the character to me (this is just my opinion, not trying to step on anyone else's). There are certain visual cues that make him who he is: the silver color, the chest/stomach design, the arm cannon, the swept-back shin shapes, and most importantly the long, almost aristocratic face underneath the bucket-shaped samurai helmet.

No transforming toy has ever really combined those elements into a satisfactory G1 Megatron. The alt mode is incidental. Gun, tank, jet, toaster, whatever..... it would just be nice to have a Megatron whose robot mode really resembles, and captures, his first incarnation. Some of the later versions of the character are nice designs, but they look like other characters.

Classics Megatron is a step in the right direction, but I'm still really hoping for a Masterpiece Megatron that does the character justice. I don't care what he turns into, as long as he turns into SOMETHING and looks iconic in his robot mode.

5. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure Perceptor could mass shift.

And the dinobots were created to fight the decepticons, and were never given an earth form by the Ark's scanner thingie.
    My guess is they were just gonna put the dinos back in their closet after a fight :p 

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

He did once, In Dinobot Island Pt.1 as he introduced himself to Chip (and indirectly to the viewing audience) he shrunk to the size of a normal Microscope

Although from that point on, everytime he transformed he was always the size of a car in his Alt mode

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'll agree that the G2 mold (and the other tank molds) are the best Megs molds to date. I recently aquired the G2 version, and that led to getting Bludgeon and Reverse Convoy.

I love tank Megs!

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i think theres beena few good megatrons

RID was cool [great toy, multi-changer], Beast Wars. Pretty much all of those were pretty cool. i like 'em enough [transmetal has to be my fav of the bunch of Beastie Megs'], Armada Megatron is pretty awesome [despite some limited articulation]. Personally Armada Megs is one of my favs. awesome looking bot mode, cool tank mode. lots of minicon playability. Energon was awesome cuz it was a big G1 Galvatron homage. Cybertron megs is awesome. Great car mode [woot batmobile!] articulated bot mode. Classics Megs looks freakin awesome

i dunno. i'm happy with the Megs' we been getting

i think one aspect i like most is that we never know what Megs will look like next really. Its like, the Hasbro guys know Megatrons characters but havent found a fitting body yet, so its cool to see whatkind of renditions theyll come up with [unlike optimus who will always be the red chested, blue legged, transforms into a truck, windows on the chest bot. youd think thered only be so many ways to design a bot around those parameters x__O]

9. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I will agree with you that there has been no really decent version of G1 Megs. But I don't understand why you say BW and BM doesn't 'exist' to you. It was a completely different character, far in the future. And it is canon, in the same timeline.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

I suppose for a Gen1 figure megatron could only be a gun.

So reserve comment until the classics are out.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Simply because I think everything to do with them (storyline, characters, designs, toys, etc) are some of the worst things I've seen associated with TF.

But as I clearly said in my first post - which a lot of people seem to be conveniently skipping over - this is just MY personal opinion. I'm not stating it is fact or that people are idiots for liking any of the new series' and character incarnations. And as I also said, I agree that some of the toys were decent in way of mechanics & transformation, but I just happen to detest the overall premises of these other canons... especially when it comes to new characters being given G1 character & faction names (ie: Prime/Primal, Megatron, Dinobot, etc).

So when I reference my dissatisfaction with Megatron, I mean it in terms of who Megatron originally was (G1) and the character that his name applied to. There might be BW/BM/Aramada/whatever "Megatron's"... my point is that none of them are consistantly *Megatron* in the same way the most of the Prime's, Starscreams and whoever else have managed to stay somewhat true & recognizable to their original designs. And the main point of the post, that every toy version of later Megatron's were pretty accurate with their cartoon/comic counterparts, whereas G1 Meg's never got the perk of translating well from animation to functional toy.

But I'll leave it at that since it's obvious, even with all the text clearly typed out here, that 90% of people responding aren't really comprehending what is actually said. All the "I like *place cannon name here* Megatron* responses are fine, but they have zero relevance to the original post and are conversations unto themselves.

12. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Well, although I do agree that we haven't really received a decent remake fo the original G1 version, I still think the Classics Megs is a really, really strong nod to ol' buckethead (the headsculpt I love). And even if they can't do WW Megs, Hastak can always try the Stormbringer version (which EJ or Don designed?), which has the G1 overall color scheme, turns into a tank, and has that nice regal ribbon thingamajig design on his chest. Or even the Super Megatron route. :D 

But, I guess the lack of continuity of a stable G1 Megatron design, when compared to Prime or 'Screamer, is probably due to lack of strong popularity/market appeal as the former two characters. Or the fact that the G1 version turns into a hand gun.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Now I will agree that He is far more awesome than any version of Megatron.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    theres a TWW Megs coming out

[though id love to see stormbringer megs come out too]

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Classics Megs (both versions) are pretty decent looking, but I'll wait until I actually get my hands on them to confirm that. I've always been partial to the G2 tank megs, though what I'd really love to see is a tank megs similar to the one from the color guide, with the slab=chest instead of the front of the tank, and the cannon mounted on the arm instead of the shoulder.

And... I think Energon Galvatron makes a better Galvatron than G1 Galvatron.

16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's what I'm wondering. It came out around the same time the color sheet for Cybertron Smokescreen and Classics Grimlock came out, and I'm crossing my fingers that that Megs will be coming out at some point too, it was very nice!

17. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I don't think there'll ever be a decent gun rendition of Megs. There are too many it's not my fault I can't raise my kids right parents and lawyers about for it to happen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Alternator line will do him some justice as a silver/gunmetal Cadillac XLR-V.

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Well, G1 Megatron's toy is kinda dumb. G2 version...I don't like it but at least it's better than the original. XD
    Everyone has different opinions about the different toys, that's true. PErsonally my favorites are TM and Dragon Megatron. Also the SL mold.
    Is not that there are not good toys, if you don't like any of them it's ok but some of them are really good. For example the Classic version will look better with a different color scheme but the mold is OK.

19. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I agree, just about every megatron version has sucked but if i was to pick a version that i actually viewed as being worth the money i paid for it. It would be Megatron/Galvatron from Cybertron its obviously not even remotely G1 but then again G1 megatron was ridiculous anyway (IMO). I prefer to remember that legendary head sculpt and voice than his ridiculous alt form. Classics brings back that same head sculpt but compromises the G1 feel with a ridiculous watergun like alt form. I see the point however of people who arent me, liking the throwback to G1 gun form megs.

20. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Thanks for the advanced notice of possible retaliation from over-sensitive and openly-hostile intolerants that currently populate the fandom.

That said, I too long for a masterpiece Megatron in the order of Prime and Starscream. However, I'm not entirely convinced that one can be engineered.

However, I was happy with BW Transmetal Megatron. Detailed, articulate... and he had hands!!! Not a bad replica of the show, either.

WAL