Megatron - will we EVER see a good toy of him?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Even at the risk of people coming out of the woodwork to tell me how much crack I'm on, I still gotta say it:

In my personal opinion, EVERY single version of Megatron that's ever come out have been brutally bad & atrocious designs. Even as a kid, I thought the original Meg's toy sucked something serious. Yeah the gun mode looked cool, but he was probably one of the worst bot modes ever made. The G2 tank version was and probably still is the best rendition thus far, but even that's a strecth. I liked the fact that he was a tank that transformed into a generally okay looking bot, but the purple & green colors never felt (nor looked) right. And I'm not even going to bother going into detail about the other BW, BM, RID, Energon, Cybertron, etc. versions since they don't exist to me. They might have been decent *toys* for those canons, but none of them are *Megatron* anywhere resembling the G1 sense. Now we have Titanium Meg's which is just aweful, and the two versions of Classics Meg's, one where he's a huge Nerf gun and one where he's a tiny deformed looking tank - both of which are yet again done in horrible colors. Plus the pending Movie Meg's which is... well, we've all seen the pictures.

The reason I'm irritated is that I'm kind of sick of having so many renditions of Prime, Starscream and other general TF's that look awesome but no quality looking Meg's to be found anywhere outside of a Palisades statue that does nothing except sit there.

What's it going to take for Hasbro or Takara or whoever to give us a Meg's that actually LOOKS LIKE Meg's after 20+ years? I don't care if they keep making tank modes of him, I actually prefer it, but why can't we get something is decent sized, colored correctly and has the known head/face & arm cannon?

This is why I kind of harp on the idea of Hasbro doing a War Within line, even it's limited to just a handful of characters. Meg's isn't a handheld gun anymore, so that worry is now gone. He's a big Cybertronian tank - good to go with no firearm regulations to adhere to. He's grey/silver/black like the original, and in bot mode, still looks like the Megatron we all know so well. So what's the problem?

I know that a ranting thread like this isn't really going to do anything, but it's been something that has bothered me for years and just had to get it out. Hopefully a few people can see where I'm coming from in this regard and that I'm not the only one miffed about never having a decent and/or proper version of THE Decepticon leader... whereas we seem to get a new Prime & SS every other year.

Again, just a personal opinion. Not looking for a flame war or debate here.

2. AlphaTrion23

AlphaTrion23 Banned

I don't like that "they don't exist to me" tone.

If they don't exist to you, then you're the one who doesn't have a decent Megatron toy. The rest of us seem pretty pleased with what we have so far.

And you should expect a debate when you are expressing such closed-minded opinions about 75% of the product that we currently enjoy. Just advice.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree that the BM and RID Megatron's were kind of sub-par, but the BW, Energon and Cybertron Megs all were outstanding renditions of the character.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    And you shouldn't speak for the rest of us... Just advice...

B.O.T... Personally, I liked Energon Megs and Galaxy Force Megs... And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love Classics Megs... But each person has their own tastes so there's no point in arguing which is better...

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Well, as far as renderings of the "G1" Megatron go, you're right, there isn't a real G1 Megatron. The best one I can think of is Combat Hero Megatron from G2 - the missiles, with the tips cut off, make a serviceable arm cannon. The colours aren't the best, but they are pretty good. He is a bit small, but he has almost everything else.

The wider universe of Megatrons, though, hold many great toys that aren't the original. It's equally good and bad that Hasbro typically takes more liberties on Megatron - good, since we get some very unique and cool designs, bad, because unlike Optimus, Megatron doesn't have a consistent look that defines him. It's all a matter of perspective though, I like my Megatrons and Galvatrons.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I really like Classics Megatron, I think he's the closest we'll get to a real G1-ish Megatron in style and accuracy to the original. I'm still impressed we even GOT another gun-style transformer and I'm pleased as punch that it's Megatron again. The head, the legs, the look of the toy in both modes...Yay! Gives me the fanboy giddies.

7. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Let's See:

RM Reverse Convoy, Megatron in Disguise
    BW Megs, Transmetal Megs and Transmetal 2 Megs (Giant Red Dragon FTW)
    GF Megs and Armada Megs

That's quite a few fantastic Megatron toys there Skipper....

not to mention I'm weird and like ol' Trigger Crotch.

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And here's me on Megatrons!

Armada, Energon, and Cybertron are three distinct and badass forms of a great Megatron character concept.

Classics is a great fusion of all versions of the original (Microman gun, Actionmaster, Tank). So happy he got more purple added.

Big T-Rex Megatron is marvelous too, as far as oomph, play value, and aesthetics go. And Dragon Megs is an enormous shining heap of killyou.

----------

As far as a "proper" Megatron for you being released...honestly I doubt anything'll work for you more than the Classics one. :(  Not seeing loads of evidence that any other ones'll be done for some time, unless Alternators or T.H.S. (somehow) surprises me.

And I believe Titaniums didn't do a War Within version because the WW design wasn't really feasible, engineering-wise. The one Pat Lee design amongst the Donbots of WW Vol 1, if I remember right.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Jesus. I guess everyone besides Sol Fury is missing the *G1* emphasis I tried placing.

I already acknowledged that all the BW/BM/TM/etc. renditions might be good *toys*, and even accurate to their animated counterparts in some cases. But that's not the point. I'm talking about a G1 influenced/inspired/upgarded look & color scheme here on a toy that actually looks good in both alt & robot mode. Something that has really never been done yet.

Sorry if that point was lost.

10. xenocryst

xenocryst Why yes, I *am* a geek. TFW2005 Supporter

I think if we ever see a toy produced of that desert camo tank that was floating around the boards a while ago, THAT would be an awesome version of Megatron with a very G1 feel.

Whatever happened to that color sheet?... Are we going to get a toy of that, or was that just some cool fan art. :-(

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Megatron has been handled more than fairly over the years. Even if Classic Megs is a Nerf Blaster, at least he's a handgun again. Megatron is no different than any other TF, as some fan will always find fault. No TF is universally loved OR hated, and Megs is no exception in any generation.

12. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Titanium Megatron sucks mostly because of his engineering, not because either form is particularly horrible. If he had been all plastic (or even if the joins had been better designed) the arm cannon could fold down and a mechanism for the turrent to swivel could have been done. Or he could have just been considered mobile artillery and had a longer, larger gun. Either way, I'm pretty happy with his appearance, just not his looseness.

Classics Megatron is all kinds of awesome as well. The paint job on him is pretty much my only complaint for the whole Classics line.

That said, I'd love to have a Masterpiece Megatron the size of Masterpiece Optimus who was grey, turned into a tank, and had his german tanker helmet head. I don't consider any of the designs to be unencumbered awesomeness like Masterpiece Optimus or Classics Optimus.

13. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'm hoping for an alternator or masterpeice megatron myself. Sort of my dream TF toy. Don't see it happening soon though.

14. Soundwave06

Soundwave06 Master of Espionage

I personally like RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron and the new classic Megatron which I can't wait to get my hands on.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm more than grateful Classics Megs is a gun of any sort since we've been told "Megatron cannot and NEVER will be a gun again. Period" for so many years. I know it doesn't have a perfect color scheme and the unibrow is a little tacky, but overall I think it's a kickass update to the original. Cybertron Galvatron is a pretty sweet homage to the original Megatron, in color scheme anyway.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, I covered that point at the end of my reply. :D 

17. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Pretty much what this person said.

As far as Megatron goes, I do like the original. Is the robot mode terrible to me? No, I think it's pretty good that someone was able to design a robot out of a Walther P-38 considering it had a rather long barrel and not a whole lot of meat to work with. With Browning, they had a bit more meat to work with and were able to use the barrel as an arm. Shockwave had a totally unrealistic looking gun mode so they could pretty much do whatever they wanted.

I think the largest problem G1 Megs faced was that there was no consistency with this character (levels of firepower, intelligence, strength, black hole ability) and they really screwed him over by not giving him the ability to fly and fire by himself most of the time. I can only remember one instance at the moment where he was able to fly and fire by himself and that was in the Action Force comics leading up to G2. Only problem was that they made the gun mode freaking huge. I think that if he was small, able to fly in gun mode, and fire on his own, all of that concentrated firepower (if used properly) could have laid waste to quite a few Autobots. I mean what's more frightening than a super-small target flying around that can vaporize your troops? Only things that could add to it that I can think of are invisibility and teleportation.

Now, when I think of a Transformer, I tend to think of a robot whose alt mode serves some purpose. The cassettes made G1 Soundwave a walking aircraft carrier, G1 Soundwave's alt mode was fairly effective for espionage work and taking advantage of stupid humans, Warpath was probably a bit faster as a tank than just walking around, Blitzwing gained flight or more firepower, Astrotrain was transport, and so on. Even G1 Megs' alt mode gave him more concentrated firepower too bad just about everything else was screwed up.

That being said, G2 Megs' alt mode doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean here we have this robot that can fly around in all three dimensions, appears to move fairly quickly, and has enormous firepower. Now, he'll turn into this tank that can only move two-dimensionally with no noticeable change in firepower. Yeah, he gained mobility in this alt mode but what's the point of using it? It also makes a crappy disguise. It's really only good so they can sell Megs as something and gives Optimus an enemy...aside from Jhiaxus. Megatron's character was much better this time around but the alt mode I thought was pretty useless when compared to the robot mode.

The other tank Megatrons, I don't know. I don't know if they were able to fly in robot mode or not and I don't know if they had increased firepower while in tank mode.

The jet Megatrons made more sense because with that alt mode, he gains speed in the air and is able (assuming anyway) that high speed attacks could be performed. Makes a pretty hard target to hit too unless you have the right equipment. Only jet one I have is Energon and his aesthetics don't really appeal to me (I never cared for the spired helm look)...that and his damn knees keep giving out.

Beast Wars Megs I think is the best of the bunch...well at least the first purple Rex and 10th anniversary edition. Disguise didn't matter at all (how many purple dinos are running around?) but here is the first Megs I can remember that was allowed to be an evil genius and actually accomplish something. And apparently, alt modes allowed the characters to heal. His alt mode was particularly fierce so he could at least fight effectively while in it if his robot mode is damaged. The toys themselves were also pretty neat looking. Well...I dunno about the first Transmetal (gotta look into him more) and I think Transmetal 2 looks like a cheap, piece of red crap (picked him up and wasn't feeling any love for him). BM doesn't appeal to me at all. Croc Megs is a pretty good little figure but that purple doesn't really do it for me and he needs a turnable waist.

RiD Megs, I really don't know what to make of. I mean so many modes are really neat but the aesthetics don't generally appeal to me and what the hell is the deal with that "hand" mode? What's that supposed to do?

I absolutely cannot wait for Classics Megs since he looks neat to me. Whether or not he can fly or not or fire on his own in gun mode...I dunno. I'm just happy to have a more articulate gun though he will need a paint job.

Cybertron Megs...I'm so-so with. Well...lemme rephrase that -- I like Cybertron Galvatron since the Megs version didn't appeal to me at all with that color scheme. The only problem I have with Cybertron Megs is that he's too flimsy looking and doesn't hold together all that well for me. I can see how his alt modes can be useful both being speed in either land or air.

I think that covers all of the Megs variations. Now, these are just my opinion. I don't think my opinion is resolute nor should it be. Like what you want to like but at least respect others whose tastes vary.

18. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

Yeah I guess I understand what your getting at, Prime over the years has always been a updated big red truck of some sort well besides in the Beast Era, But he's always looked like prime. As for Megs, he’s been all type of things over the years and never really looked like any of the others that came before him. I think that ever Megatron does suit it's era and that the new classic Megatron and even the 2-pack version of him does have a more that feel about him.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love my G1 Megatron...IMO just "close" the hips and he instantly looks better. Most of the 1984-85 G1 toys' gimmicks were simply tranforming. That's why the robot modes were 'compromised' in terms of looks but the alternate modes look good for its time.

I can't say about the opinions on the other Megatrons but Enegeron Galvatron (yeah not exactly Megatron) is the best homage to the G1 Megs/Galvy toy.

I'm not complaining about Classics Megs either but he looks decent and is durable and I hope his 'wings' are removable.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Same here, m8. That's why I have the original G1, and Microchange versions. I love the design.