Megatron was not weaker, Optimus has become stronger

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusPrimeX47, Jul 9, 2011.

1. OptimusPrimeX47

OptimusPrimeX47 Well-Known Member

In TF1 Megatron was a beast, he was the villain of the movie. It was supposed to show how menacing and powerful he is. Obviously he was powerful in the movie and destroyed anything in his path, including Optimus. Reason being I think Optimus couldn't go full on because of the many humans around them. Look at the highway battle, Optimus killed Bonecrusher so fast, and there weren't nearly as many humans around.

In TF2 there were threads saying he wad significantly weaker because of the parts made from a weaker decepticon. But if you notice he had a more powerful alt vehicle mode, half tank/jet and took more explosions and missles than he did in TF1. Optimus took on Megatron, Starscream, and Grindor all at once WITHOUT the Matrix, and no humans but Sam around. The reason Megatron killed him was because he was looking for Sam and Megatron struck him from behind. In the end he beat Megatron like a tin can and only significantly damaged part of his head, I doubt his brain was damaged. Nothing that couldn't be repaired.

In TF3 Megatron was just on the sideline. The major villain was Sentinal not Megatron. After letting Sentinal do all his work, pretty sure after the plan would be a success Megatron would have disposed of Sentinal one way or another anyway. He also beat the living daylights out of Sentinal in the end, he didn't looj no where as weak as many claim he was. Although he did it behind Sentinal's back, I'm sure he could have fought if he wanted. Also Optimus caught him off guard so it wasn't a full on battle. Though I don't know why Megatron switched from his jet/tank form to a truck because he wasn't significantly damaged in TF2. Don't forget on Cybertron all the Transformers fought and have been damaged/repaired all the time so it's not the first time he.was damaged.

In G1 Optimus beat Megatron most of the time so it's not a suprise to see Megatron lose.

2. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Hmm.

He was definitely much more powerful in the 3rd movie, since he had his trailer and all the upgrades that came with it....but his base form was no different. Additionally, he was extremely angry and had given up on diplomacy (which was, of course, the right thing to do).

Megatron on the other hand....he seemed the most powerful in film #2. His firepower and strength were at full tilt...it's just that Prime was no longer trying to reason with him and Prime, once he was willing to use his blades, is easily the best close-up fighter in the franchise (except for Sentinal....).

Megatron in movie 3 was severely damaged and weakened, though he still had his trademark excessive firepower, which he used against Sentinal. It's clear that in terms of firepower, nobody can hold a candle to Megatron.

3. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime also ripped off Megatron's arm in ROTF, in addition to blasting away part of his head.

It's true, that they fought and damaged each other all the time...on Cybertron. On Earth, however, they don't have as many resources available for repair.

4. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

5. NighthawkPrime

NighthawkPrime Well-Known Member

Personally i don't think weaker. but Megatrons character developed more along g1 as the movies went on. lets compare megs in g1 to the movie.

Megatron could never beat Optimus in a fair fight at least in g1. He always had to cheat. Example of this in the episode The Heavy Metal War. megs used the abilities from the other Decepticons to Beat Prime in a Duel. In the animated movie megatron had to use Rot Rod as a shield to Kill Optimus. My view of the movie line is megatron developed more of this personality.

By rotf we see it more in the forest battle. When the autobots busted into the warehouse to save sam the decepticons pretty much flee. you see megs later coming from behind Prime. Willing to fight prime hand to hand till prime started winning and megs calls for help to maintain the upper hand. Ultimately taking the opportunity to kill prime by stabbing him in the back in typical megs fashion. In Dotm you see sentinel pretty much showed megs that he Was Stonger. So megs would naturally wait to betray sentinel and gain the upper hand. Carly just made him realize it at that point.

So weaker. Possibly. Developing more of a Megatronish personality. In my opinion yes.
    I for one appreciated the development.

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Towards the end of DOTM Megatron was sitting against the wall and panting from exertion. Compare that to his showing in TF 07.

7. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Here's some visual proof from Transformers 1:

[​IMG]

This is an official poster using the ILM models from the first movie. As if it wasn't apparent in the film, Megatron has about what, 50% more size and mass than Optimus?

Here is RotF Megatron vs Optimus (forest battle):
    [​IMG]

They are roughly the same size.

This was done for the sake of the plot. In TF1, the entire movie was leading to Megatron getting loose and the big Optimus/Megatron brawl. Additionally, all the Autobots were rather small, while all the decepticons except Frenzy and Barricade were very, very large. Even no-name Bonecrusher was larger than Optimus.

This was likely (as movies do) to accentuate the threat, to make the Autobots look outmatched. It was also not repeated in the sequels, where even Starscream seemed to get smaller despite being absolutely massive in the first one. Furthermore Autobots started fighting protoform Decepticons of roughly the same size as themselves, but this is because the threat the movie accentuated changed.

DotM has one scene I think is more than amazing (and should have been longer). It lasts for about 5 seconds... it is ALL the Autobots simulatenously attacking Sentinel Prime. He's a big autobot... bigger than prime. But in this scene he's absolutely massive and probably out of scale. Bumblebee is about as big as his forearm.

Has Megatron gotten weaker? Well I think Prime has gotten a lot stronger for one, but i'd say he's only gotten weaker in that his role in the blot changed. That and his second and third form are definetly smaller, much like Soundwave is probably a fifth the size he was in RotF.

8. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Also personally, I think that if ILM could go back in time and do Megatron differently in TF1, they would.

The "Ape" like shape and posture of that Megatron was very weird and unexpected. It was impressive on screen, but it just wasn't "Megatron". They intentionally went a different direction with him in RotF and DotM by giving him more human like proportions. And they also didn't give ape like proportions to really any more transformers... they were bug like or very robotic (most of the Constructicons) or of a general humanoid shape (all the Autobots, Soundwave).

Maybe in a sense, we can look at Shockwave and Sentinel Prime as "Megatron's done right". They had a chance to do a similar thing like they did with Megatron in TF1, and went a more conventional, but I'd say better route.

So yeah, it wouldnt surprise me one bit, just looking how they attacked the "big badguy" problem in TF2 and TF3, if they could do it over again, they'd do TF1 Megatron differently. But that might just be more indicative of the series transitioning from "Inspired by the franchise" in TF1 to basically a wholesale adaptation of its biggest cornerstones by DotM.

9. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    i dont think so... megatron was always bigger than prime
    [​IMG]

i think prime got stronger and megatron did also. the only difference is prime got angrier throughout the series. so he fought with more furousity.

-in rotf, megatron was just more powerful in than in tf1 but was in my eyes clumsy due to the fact that he has a day old new bod. his legs were bigger while his torso slimed down a bit. (which is the exact opposite from his bod that he had for billions of years)

-in dotm, his bod was similar to rotf. add the years of anger at the defeat of prime AGAIN and that makes him a little stronger.

-i think megatrons strength, like my own, comes from bursts of rage. i think he was sincere in his truce with prime and really didnt want to fight anymore. because i think if he wanted both primes dead(OP had one arm, and im sure SP was exausted from kicking EVERYONE'S ass throughout the movie) , he would not have paused to ask for a truce.

-i think he was able to take down sentinal because he was having a fit about sentinal leading the cons and not him. that rage coupled with his strength was more than enough to take SP down. but after he was done with SP, he didnt wanna kill prime. because even though megs asked what OP what he wouldbe w/o him, megs himself wouldnt be anything without prime.:2c: 

10. optimusneo85

optimusneo85 Banned

Obviously megatron was weaker, he got pwned at the end of rotf and had half his head missing! Even starscream said he looked weak if you remember correctly. Megs was a broken down shell of a con in DOTM, hence why Prime owned him so hard.
    Prime wasnt stronger, if he was he would have taken out Sentinel but he couldnt.

11. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Let's just say Prime has a God mode.

12. Soca Taliban

Soca Taliban Well-Known Member

Megatron was only able to take down SP because he shot him in the back a couple of times.....w/o that, he would've gotten his ass handed to him just as Optimus was getting his ass handed to him. So far in all three movies, SP is the best fighter!

13. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    *at the beginning of DOTM*

Optimus:"Up up down down left right left right b a start, LET'S DO THIS THING!!!"

14. Soca Taliban

Soca Taliban Well-Known Member

^^^^
    This FTW

:lolol 

15. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    :lolol 

It's like he has a switch in his head. "You can't betray us, this isn't happening... No."
    Then it clicks and he's like; "You betrayed us. I'm gonna kill you. I will rip you all limb from limb!"

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Starscream mentions that Megatron is weak in DOTM when they are kicking it with zebras.

17. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

megs was the honey badger in TF1. in that movie he could have taken on SP and OP at the same time.

18. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    and then megatron said starscream knows only what he is told and that is nothing.

19. megachin

megachin Banned

I love Bay megatron in all 3 films

Shame I wanted a final fight between him and prime

20. Darthrai

Darthrai Well-Known Member

I was really disappointed by Megs' performance in DOTM, he basically went from "RAWR I RIP AUTOBOTS IN TWO" to "HEY AUTOBOTS GET OFF MY LAWN". Prime defeated him way too easily, I know that he was injured but still. Sentinel Prime and Shockwave did all sorts of things that Megs should have done, which is made even worse by the fact that they didn't give Shockwave any sort of personality like in G1 and Animated.

Still, at least he had a sense of individuality in this movie, not like in ROTF.