Megatron vs Sentinel

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by megatron6661, Jan 7, 2012.

1. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

I was thinking, with sentinel being so caring about cybertron that he wanted to restore it in the film itself. Does anyone else think the big fight should have been centred around megatron vs sentinel, and not have sentinel join megatron's side. Their fight could have been personal, with megatron leading the decepticons to the destruction of cybetron, and sentinel would have wanted revenge. We could get more back-story on megatron and sentinel, and the rivalry between sentinel's personal vendetta against megatron.

But Bay could have let megatron flee the scene in one piece in ROTF, instead of getting ravaged by optimus. Let megatron get fully restored to his glory days like TF1, and have these 2 battle and have optimus fight shockwave, so both menacing decepticons have a more important role in the film. They could have given megatron the chance to use the pillars

But when I do think of it, if that did happen it may have been complex anyway on how to fit the 4 man transformers, who knows.

What does everyone else think? would it have been a good idea to have the fight centred around megatron vs sentinel in the climax, and if so? how would you have ended it to get the best out of both megatron and shockwave? Or was it fine the way it was? which it was still at times a satisfying film

But if no would wanted to change the plot of the film, and keep sentinel the villain? how would you have got the best out of both megatron and shockwave

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think you would be changing the plot too much [half of the movie is based around Sentinel being the mastermind], and some parts of it don't make much sense: Sentinel's whole shtick is that he sacrificed all of his friends and even HIS OWN APPRENTICE [Optimus] [with whom he had a father-and-sone relationship] to save Cybertron, randomly going on a quest for revenge doesn't fit his character [unless you create a whole new one].

Same goes for Megatron, his objective is always bringing back Cybertron [so he can rule it], but still bringing back Cybertron, even ROTF constantly mentioned that, and DOTM hammered in our heads ["Cybertron, you are saved..at last"], Megatron would never destroy Cybertron [that's more fitting for The Fallen].

As for personal reasons, I'd say we also got some pretty good stuff of Megs in DOTM, DOTM showed his scheming side [admit it, the whole gambit to bring Sentinel back was brillant] and it was interesting to see him slowly dying and decaying, good character arc, I think.

If he returned at full force, 2007-style, we would just see him rampaging again [specially since you don't want to have Sentinel as part of the plot], it would be cool, but I liked DOTM's character arc for him better.

Your theory also wrecks on one of the best traits of the movie: Sentinel Prime, what made him interesting in DOTM was how utterly moral ambiguous he was, it was really hard to decide if he was an Anti-Hero or an Anti-Villain, becoming the best character of the whole movie-verse, to turn him in a straigth Mentor would be a waste of character, while it WOULD be cool, it just isn't as good as the moral ambiguous Sentinel.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That doesn't really make sense, since Megatron doesn't want to destroy Cybertron, he wants it back so he can raise an army and conquer the Universe. Sentinel just wants his planet back. He doesn't care who or what gets harmed in the process.

4. BlackCat93

BlackCat93 Active Member

The way i remember it was that Megatron actually cared about the restoration of Cybertron. Remeber his line "Cybertron, you are saved." It was a small moment but it served to establish why he was doing this. The fight between Megatron and Sentinel was more about Megatrons desire to remain in control which was a very in character motivation. the fact that Sentinel and Optimus had completely different ideas and the represented the past and present for the Autobots made the fight between them was a very nice way to conclude the movie.

5. megatron6661

That is true, but there were many continuity errors in ROTF and DOTM. Look at the desert fight in ROTF at the start, when megs appears on the pyramid Megatron said clearly we cannot let the boy get to optimus, so megatron clearly did not want optimus resurrected. Then we learnt in Washington in DOTM, that megatron needed prime and the matrix to revive sentinel

6. Overlord Balder

It is called "back-up" plan.

7. megatron6661

Again I agree, but megs you would have thought would have had the sense not to attack optimus when he was jetfire optimus. Like I said I was happy that sentinel was the villain, but megs could have been used a bit more which was a shame, give him more dialogue

8. Overlord Balder

If he refused to fight Optimus, The Fallen would be obviously suspicious, and given how trigger-happy The Fallen is, I don't think anyone would want him pissed off.

They used him well, speficially, focusing more on his scheming side, as well as his whole "dying tyrant" thing.

9. megatron6661

I have NP with the overall film megs was used. And being realistic and throwing the shit out the window with how this should have been done and that. If I could change one thing in DOTM, I would have kept megatron on the skyscraper with sentinel, and when optimus shoots the pillar down megatron falls off the skyscraper, and that would lead to carly confronting megatron. But maybe I do think give megatron more screen time, and perhaps more dialogue in terms of the relationship with sentinel and megatron

10. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well by this point i dont think Megatron knew of the ark beign on the Moon, by the moment ROTF happened The only ones that knew of the ark were

Soundwave
    Fracture
    Laserbeak
    Jetstorm
    Sideways
    Scalpel
    Rumble
    Beastbox
    Ravage
    Alice
    The Constructicons
    Incinerator
    and the Decepticons hidden on the moon

So the cons on the Moon were offline, and most of those decepticons i mentioned are dead (some of them died before even ROTF happened like Incinerator, Fracture and Jetstorm), so Its Likely Soundwave Told Megatron of the ark offscreen.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Just a heads up, but Megatron didn't want to destroy Cybertron. In case you missed all three movies, Megatron's whole deal is that he was trying to RESTORE Cybertron. That's why Megatron and Sentinel were working together, see?

Optimus is the robot you want to talk to. He's the one who was fine with Cybertron being destroyed.

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Fixed. :p 

Megatron's Goal: Attempt to restore Cybertron to rebuild his army.
    Sentinel's Goal: Attempt to restore Cybertron for his race as a whole to survive.
    Optimus Goal: Protect the Earth at all costs, even if it means his race will eventually perish.

13. megatron6661

Like I said, megs leadership did end up destroying cybertron right or wrong. But even with sentinel on megatron's side megs could have got more screen time

14. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    And that's why optimus killed megatron for anyone who was confused enough to ask

15. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    what

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Did it? Or was Cybertron's destruction because Optimus jettisoned the Allspark -- the planet's living soul -- into space rather than let Megatron have it?

Was Cybertron a "dead and barren" planet because of the wars, as TylerMirage puts it? Or because of actions Optimus himself took as a sore loser when defeat seemed imminent?

17. megatron6661

That is a good point, it does make me wonder we never really get any real depth on how the war started. Who was the real cause? megatron or optimus, or was it a combination of both. Because the only explanation we got, was a war started between the autobots and the decepticons

18. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Megatron started the war. That was always made clear.

And Optimus got rid of the Allspark to keep it from Megatron, not out of spite, but because Megatron would have used it to create a bigger army.

Seems like his plan would have been "Get rid of Allspark, beat Decepticons and kill Megatron. Go find the Allspark." except that didn't work out because Megatron opted to go find the Allspark rather than stick around for the war.

Except then it turns out Sentinel somehow was there and didn't stop him, but then he was, but then Megatron and Sentinel had a deal to end the war and enslave earth to fix Cybertron, but Cybertron wasn't actually dead yet because they still had the Allspark at that point and.....oh God my head hurts. Why oh why didn't they try to write a trilogy together instead of writing 3 seperate movies and trying to tie them together? Well the first film and ROTF work out alright. But DOTM almost seems like it could be in an alternate universe all together. And....actually I kind of like that idea. Ignore DOTM, make the 4th film pick up after ROTF. Done.

Regardless, Megatron and Sentinel only want to take over earth to fix Cybertron. Neither of them seems interested in, you know, just taking over Earth and making it their new planet. They are instead obsessed with getting a barren dead planet back. One was apparantly just a big hunk of metal to begin with if the scenes of it are any indication.

This is why I can't find fault with Optimus's decision to forsake Cybertron. At at least seems willing to try to make a new life on earth and move on, rather than cling to the long gone Golden Age of Cybertron.

I always found Sentinel the equivalent of some old Roman leader coming out of stasis somehow, looking at the modern world, and deciding it sucks and trying to go back to the ways of the old Roman Empire. That really won't work. Time moves on.

19. megatron6661

Also did megatron need sentinel at the time, you look at how powerful TF1 megatron was, all he wanted was the cube. He could easily take care of optimus, maybe TF1 megatron adding sentinel the fallen and getting the cube, megatron would have thought he will mass one of the most powerful dynasty's of his time

20. PeteAutobot

PeteAutobot autobot in training

I dont know i just wish there had been more fighting.....rotf and dotm are much the same if you guys really pay attention....the last 15 min. Of the movies bad guys die quick...and the good guys win...dont get me wrong i like the autobots but the story could have been a little better...