Megatron over the years.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sportimus, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, I was thinking this morning as I was putting up ROTF Leader Megatron, that the poor character never got as good of a break as Optimus Prime got through most of his incarnations. I mean, a great hero needs a great villain, and we have that in character, yes. But we don't have that in terms of Megatron's forms. Either he turned into a gun, which someone else needed to hold in order for him to be useful, or he was so much bigger than the other toys, he looked out of scale (ie Leader Megatron in Cybertron and Energon). Worst of all, we got Movie Megatron. The second being better than the first, he still doesn't have as good of an alt mode as Prime, or even other Decepticons have.

I think the closest we got to G1 Megatron was with the Henkei Megatron. Yet, he's too tall for Prime, and sticks out like a sore thumb in scale with his fellow warriors. Starscream and the seekers are nearly minicons compared to him. As cool as he is, he looks kind of out of place with everyone else, sadly.

Probably the best alt form we got was Armada Megatron, but in bot mode, he was so brick-like, and those colors did not do him justice.

If only we got a voyager sized Megatron in the Energon series. Okay, so we did, but it was a tru exclusive that is hard to get at a decent price. But his colors once again did not do him justice. Same thing with Cybertron Megatron. Too big. Great look though. And again in Animated. Great toy, but too big for Prime...by a lot.

And then there's the Titanium Megatrons...we won't go there, ugh.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Can anyone even partially agree with any of this? Am I being too critical with this? What are your thoughts? Do you have a favorite version of what you think is a good Megatronn figure? Please, let's not include MP Megatron. He's done well with MP Prime in size. I'm talking about everything excluding the MP line. :) 

2. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

[​IMG]

megatron will hunt you down for your disloyalty regarding his inferior TF toy incarnations!

seriously...my favorite probably is G2...just love that fugly large green robot mode....

then i would have to vote cybertron...liked the triple changer modes....

3. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Isn't Animated Megatron huge compared to Animated Prime? I thought the Leader Megs compared to Voyager Prime was a good scale comparison. Too bad Megatron's knees are kind of borked.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i love megatron incarnations, most of them, in fact, but maybe that's just me.

and i love it when megatron is huge compared to optimus prime, makes optimus prime look more heroic, taking on megatron who is sometimes twice his size, you know?

5. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

I woulkd have to agree. Megs always gets shafted somehow. Here's to hoping we get a decent one for the next movie

6. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

If only has gone with the G2 tank megatron for classics and not that wants to be g1 but can't so its a nerf gun peace of crap we got, given the other classics that could have been really good. Here is hopping we get a good megatron and galvatron in the up coming lines.

7. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great pic! Love it. :) 

I forgot about G2 Megs. They had the right idea with that one.

8. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Except he too was GINORMOUS compared to Prime, but somehow didn't make your list!

Me too... the aforementioned pairing being too big of a size difference IMO, but otherwise, yeah

9. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

The G2 Combat Hero Megatron(Archforce over here) was the perfect size for that design and his articulation holds up against what we have today.

10. cosmos_seeker

cosmos_seeker Explorer

Megatron is supposed to be larger than Prime in most storylines. Also I hate it when they turn him into a boring tank.

11. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Classic Megatron isn't much bigger than the Seekers, now if you said Leader Class Cybertron that's another story

12. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

My favorite Megatron has to be Classics tied with Cybertron. Classics/ Henkei was the Megatron Ive been dreaming of since I was a kid. By Cybertron Megs is such a great design and toy. Triple changer Decepticon leader. cant beat it. I also liked Armada and he would be my favorite if he had more joints.

13. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The size discrepancy between Optimus and Megatron in Animated wasn't an accident. Megatron was purposefully made much bigger than Optimus. As were most of the decepticons.

14. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I've always prefered Megatron to be bigger than Prime myself. But I agree there really aren't that many good Megatron figures out there. One I REALLY like is the SG Botcon Megatron, since it was a voyager version of Energon Megatron, in G1 colors and a new head so it doesn't look like Galvatron, ironically this figure is of a "good" Megatron

15. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    are we forgetting about Beast Wars Megatron? yyyyyeeeeeesssssss.....

Transmetal and Transmetal 2 are some of the best Megatron molds ever made!

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That's why I vastly prefer (and display) the Superlink Galvatron/Galvatron G rather then the Energon versions. He fits in scale with his troops without being what I regard as comically oversized and is not the largest soldier on his own team.

Animated Megatron is another that's great, as he's in scale against smaller Autobots but his own troops as well (except poor, poor tiny Lugnut). Blitzwing, the Seekers, Swindle, etc.

I agree that Megs gets the shaft way too often. G2 green tank is a joke of a figure IMHO, the Cyberjet is too small and plain, the Hero isn't bad and the Robotmaster is better but stil not that great, Armada is a mixed back, Cybertron is a worse joke, and the Classics/Henkei just doesn't feel right.

17. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I dig the majority of Megatron toy incarnations for a variety of reasons, save the movie figures. They blow.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Megatron gets shafted more by changing toy laws than designs.

And I for one like the idea of the main villain being larger all-around than your main hero. It makes it a true obstacle to defeat him. And I think Galvatron by comparison should be even larger.

And lastly, G2 tank Megs sucks. It was awful idea to make him just another run of the mill tank, when NO OTHER transformer turned into what he was previously- a handgun (well, until Browning, but that was a Japanese-only released toy on a Japanese-only cartoon).

19. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Honestly I think an Ultra Class tank-ish Megatron with a well designed robot mode and no kibble would be the best way to go.

20. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Animated Megs is MaHOOsive next to prime...the deluxe prime is probably a touch on the big side for the correct scale.

[​IMG]