Megatron Origins,is it worth it to buy the TPB?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Overhaulimus, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I have issue 1 and now I can't get the back issues from my local comic shop.

Barnes and Noble has the TPB,I loved the first issue.I thought the first issue was great,but hows the rest of the issues?

Is it worth it to buy the TPB?

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    My opinion is a hearty "Yes!" pronounced exactly like The Brain from Pinky and the Brain.

However, I will tell you that the fandom seemed pretty evenly split on this one. There was a lot of praise for it, but there was an awful lot of criticism as well.

Some of the sequences are hard to follow panel for panel.
    And there is one sequence where key players are not present in one panel, but are standing ready for combat in the next without any explanation through narrative or illustration.

But despite all that I really enjoyed it.
    I still look through my copies in search of cameos and Easter Eggs.

I'm certain the Decepticons fought Varan the Invinceable. Certain of it.
    :thumb 

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I think of it as a prequeal to war within

4. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Cool thanks for the speedy replies guys!

I might pick this up on Thursday when I get paid.I'm really wanted to get the Stormbringer TPB as well.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wasn't art-dreck to the level of Dreamwave's Micromasters mini by any means. The actual story was a decent concept. It could well be very pleasing to you. :D 

However, the panels tended to be -really- cluttered. Made it extremely hard for me to enjoy (or even follow, at times) what was going on.

6. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    I haven't read any of the Micromaster's comics,were they any good?If they were I might pick them up too.

7. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I have a question too: Has the coloring been improved? I speak of two specific types of coloring foul-ups made in the single issues:

1. The coloring was too dark, all around. The ones on Alex Milne's site, with colors by a different person, are much better than what was printed.

2. Some of the coloring looks like it was colored in a rush, with wide applications of a water color-like homogeneous spread. It looked really bad.

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They had, IMO, an awesome story concept.

But they also had some -bruuuutal- art...I know a couple folks praised it, but myself I just couldn't deal with the teeny faces. That and the Dreamwave "oh crap this is a mini?!" story pacing that a lot of their miniseries felt like to me.

I'd say see if some of the preview pages from back then are still kicking around online, most all of them had clear examples of what to expect art-wise.

9. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Well I know my local comic shop has the MM series in their back issues and they are pretty cheap there too.So I think I will pick one up and see if I like it.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I enjoyed it, good series. Loved the brief cameo by Clench, and the concept was good. Could have used a couple more issues to focus on some of the changes within Megatron, some more internal dialogue and stuff to give a proper chance to see the change happen.

11. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I agree. Enjoyed it very much. However, it din't feel like a story about Megatron to me. At least, not specifically. Great origin story of the Decepticons and the war, not so much the Big M himself.

12. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

^^ what he said

Don't like it at all, it fails in every sense imo to actually give you any insight about megatron himself, and how he came to be the way he is. One minute he kills someone, and is sympathetic and remorseful. The next scene hes betraying someone and killing them with no remorse. Just shows you a chronical of things that he does, no character development which is a shame.

Its not horrible as far as tf comics go, theres worse. Like Stormbringer, don't get me started on the thunderwing arc. Worst comic i've ever read by far.

13. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The reason the colors were off in some issues was because they were printed in Montreal. When they were printed overseas the colors on their books are fine. The TPB will have been printed overseas so the color will be fine.

14. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I view it as the prequel to War Within a well, and really enjoyed it... it was my first IDW Tf book and I thought it was great.

15. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Ok cool,thanks to everyone that replied.

I'm gonna go buy it this payday along with Optimus Spotlight and maybe some of the Micromasters comics.

16. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

I think so, because i did. As for it being very dark art, that may be part of the point. Does speed up the time frame of the comic though.

17. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I liked Megatron Origin alot. Micromasters is not very good,its very confusing and the art wasnt bad but sometimes the little guys all look alike.

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I liked it, and from some of the stuff I've seen on the IDW boards, some colors have been corrected and some dialogue's been edited (nothing MAJOR, but still, nice little touches) for the trade.
    DN

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I liked it, and from some of the stuff I've seen on the IDW boards, some colors have been corrected and some dialogue's been edited (nothing MAJOR, but still, nice little touches) for the trade.
    DN