Megatron Origins = Fight Club?!?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Alucard77, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am a huge fan of the G1 original cartoon and finally got to the comics. I have to say I love the IDW comics. The stories are perfect for me.

Their is one small nitpick. I really wish they were a bit more original in their story telling. I might be an old bastard who has seen way to many movies, but in a lot of the comics you get a lot of stories from other movies and such.

I was pretty excited for Megatron Origins, and while it was really cool, I couldn't help thinking. OK, so Megatron is Tyler Durden?

2. Leo Primus

Leo Primus Well-Known Member

I don't really think gladiatorial combat compares to what they did in the Club and its purpose.

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Have you seen the movie fight club?

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

We don't talk about Megatron Origins

5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You win. :) 

6. Leo Primus

Leo Primus Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it wasn't fight-to-the-death thing with fame and money earning.
    Surely, the Club was building up this.. group of revolters or whatever you would call them, but I'd rather compare Megatron to Spartacus, even though there was much more going on in Megs' head.

7. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So is Megatron a figment of Starscream's mind? That would actually explain why Megs never killed him...

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "First rule of Robot Fight Club, don't talk about Robot Fight Club"

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Megatron is nothing like Spartacus.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think Spartacus is more fitting, in the original Marvel stuff (in UK stories at any rate) Megatron is the most feared competitor in gladitorial combat (in one text story he takes apart Sunstreaker in the ring) and builds his Decepticon army from the gladiators and combat fans.

11. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Not really the same, the problem is the "Pre history" of TF's has never been cannonized with all the reboots. We know that there were other 'wars' in Cybertron's past. That a certain percentage of the population became bored with peace time and started the gladiatorial games.

The only new element is Megatron being something more of a philosopher than he was in the past.

I do take some umbridge to the Autobots being depicted as being corrupt, and leading to the Decepticons as some sort of noble uprising. Personally I've always viewed the Autobots as a sort of rag-tag confederation of various Cybertronian houses that were destroyed by the onslaught of the Decepticon army.

But that's just me.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, most comic books reflect modern times. So the Autobots being corrupt mirrors the us govts corruption. Just my opinion.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did Megatron make soap?

14. lars573

Was Megatron captured in a war, enslaved, and sold to a Gladiator promoter? Are any of the Gladiators in the Cybertronian arena's slaves forced to be in the fights? Is Megatron's uprising a slave revolt? I think the answer to any of those is going to be no. And thus the ONLY thing he has in common with Spartacus is the Gladiator thing. And your letting that colour you thinking far too much. If anything Megatron has more in common with Hideyoshi Toyotomi, Napoleon Bonaparte, Joseph Stalin. Persons who went from quite modest beginnings to leaders of nations. By being in the right place to get noticed and moved to a position of power. Then grabbed more and more as the opportunity presented itself.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Civil Uprising.

Captured and forced onto a prison transport.

Forced to compete in the Gladiator circuit because anything else would draw attention to themselves in order to avoid becoming empties. Then forced to fight whomever their Dominar Clench wants them to.

They were definately the have nots, funded in secret so they'd have a chance to attack the status quo.

I'm not saying he is, but he's more like Spartacus then you say.

16. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, it would have been better if they were just called Cybertronians, with the Autobots being established when Optimus claims that name in front of the senate. Then when the war breaks out, the various houses flocking to Optimus and his Autobot banner, to turn away from both the falling, corrupt Cybertronian government and the destructive Decepticons.

17. lars573

Not the same thing. Spartacus was a war prize taken by some Legionary, and sold to a Gladiator school. Megatron was a disgruntled worker who killed a cop in a riot.

If you think even for a second that slavery is in anyway, shape, or form the same as being imprisoned. Then you have no clue about what slavery actually is.

Again are they there by choice? Could they leave at any time if they felt it wasn't worth it? Roman Gladiators were slaves. They had no such choices.

Again not the same thing. Being poor or a have not is NOT slavery. The very fact that Megatron had upper class backing means he's nothing like Spartacus.

No they're isn't. Really Megatron is more like Stalin than Spartacus. Stalin's life story fits much more with Megatrons than Spartacus's ever will.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Damn, beat me to it!

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, while Megatron does not make soap and while he is not starscream alternate reality (good one by the way). He does take over a fight club then use it to his advantage to take down a world government.

I would have not gone this route, but another one of the IDW comics had another movies undertones.

Like I said, this is not a bad thing. To me the IDW comics are the way G1 and the movie should have been. The realism is amazing and sometime maybe a bit too depressing. After I read the Last Stand of the Wreckers, I was like, how can anyone handle millions years of fighting like that. Then what happened to Kup in his comic was perfect example of what would happen to someone if they did.

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

One thing I WILL give IDW is that they did try to address (briefly :rolleyes: ) how stagnent the species is. Of course this isn't helped by the constant reboots and the need to keep the charcters recognizable.