Megatron Origin???

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by CVprowl, Feb 6, 2011.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

so is the mini series megatron origin the official IDW origin for megatron? do the other G1 series in IDW use this as canon? or can younot even tell?

how many official megatron origin stories have there even been?

What is your favorite/most badass megatron origin legend and why?

2. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

IIRC the Megatron Origins was actually an unreleased Dreamwave comic that IDW ended up releasing as part of their story. The story still kind of fits with the rest of the IDW "G1-verse" but there are a few things that don't quite fit because it wasn't originally written for the IDW continuity. But hey, since AHM IDW's pretty much thrown continuity out the window anyway.

3. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i havent read any transformers comics yet, they conflicts their own IDW stories?

4. mugen_prime

Well when All Hail Megatron came out IDW hadn't really made up their minds yet if it was going to be a complete reboot, or still fit in. They told McCarthy to go ahead and start writing it as if it was a whole new series, but then they decided to make it fit with everything that came before. So there are some minor continuity issues. Some people got REAL upset about it when it came out, but I didn't think it was TOO bad. The Ongoing however, pretty much ignores or re-writes a LOT of the previous story. It's SUPPOSED to still be in continuity but it's not done all that well. The ongoing is VERY slow paced as well. A lot of people who stuck with it through AHM are getting tempted or have dropped the series because the ongoing has been pretty ridiculous. A lot of the stuff that Costa has writen has not only messed with Furman's continuity, but also McCarthy's and to a far worse extent than AHM.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

wow. how hard is it to write comic books? sheesh. ill have to read up when i get my tpbs and then ill start complaining. ; )

6. mugen_prime

Haha! I didn't mind AHM, aside from a few continuity issues it was actually pretty decent. So far I'm still sticking with the ongoing in hopes that it starts to get better. But we'll see I guess.

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I really liked that megatron origin story. I also largely like the art although it can be cluttered at times. Really dig the cybertron that they set up.

8. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

I'm looking forward to reading about Meg's origin. I have one or maybe two issues of what I believe is a four part run. I'm making myself wait 'til I get them all though before I check it out. Hope it's good!

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    No it's not. Where exactly did you get that idea?

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MO is entertaining the first time you read it, but after that, I dunno, I didn't like it. It is cool to see how Megs became who he is. I had the TPB and sold it a fe wmonths ago, too bad, I coulda' hooked you up if you wanted it.

11. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From tfwiki:

Megatron Origin - Transformers Wiki

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I loved M:O. It's definately meant to be an origin for DW's version of Megatron, but it somewhat fits IDW Megatron as well. The story itself gave Megatron a noble purpose that he tried resolving the wrong way.

Then Continuum had to completely screw it up.

13. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's an ok read. My least favorite of the idw books. Story is not bad but Alex Milnes art looks like it was done in a hurry. You have to really dissect each panel before moving on or you might miss something

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can also make a game of trying to attribute speech bubbles to the correct character.

15. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

If you don't want to get into continuity headaches, just view it as a stand alone story.

A lot of new creatives seem to have a problem with the "who came first Megatron or Optimus" thing though.

WAAAAAAY back in 84. (I'm old school) Megatron was a tyrant who wanted to rule all of Cybertron. Optimus was a hero who rose from the ranks. (I tend to like this version myself but a lot of people think it's way too Audie Murphy)

Michael Bay has Optimus as some sort of crown prince and Megatron as a kind of fallen general. At least that's what I can sort out.

The Unicron Trillogy also has Optimus as some sort of royalty, while Megatron came later.

Beastwars has (amittedly different charachters) Megatron as a sort of self styled feedom fighter and Primal as a carreer millitary officer who has to rise to the occasion.

Animated went in a similar direction to BW. Adding in the caveat that Autobot society isn't that pure to begin with (which is why Optimus was a poor fit and Sentinal is the kind of bot that rises to the top)

Which is why I like M:O because it addresses some key issues.

1.) something must have been unjust with Cybertronian society for Megatron to desire to change it (I still like to think of the Autobots comming after the rise of the Decepticons, but to add new "ancient cybertronian factions" would just confuse the issue)

2.) It shows the history of the gladitorial games in Cybertron, explicitly. Which were never really shown before, and are part of the mythos.

3.) It shows although initially Megatron may have been a puppet or manipulated, he eventually took control on his own terms.

Besides, I can't get enough of ancient Cybertron stories. :thumb 

16. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Amen to that brother.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't think much of this when first released. Reread the TPB at the weekend - and enjoyed it a lot more! Pretty good. Always tried to pretend it wasn't part of IDW G1-continuity, but now am much happier about including it in there. It was pretty good.

18. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i just got origin in the mail today. so far ive read infiltration through devestation without any of the spotlights. i enjoyed them. i am reminded there just isnt that much story in comics.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MO is more an origin of the Decepticons than it is specifically about Megatron. That's my main disappointment with it. I went in expecting to really get inside Megatron's head and find out what he's thinking and what drives him. If it weren't for the misleading title, I'd probably have received it better.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i wonder if id read transformers novels? probably.