Megatron Origin #2 Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Smasher, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Just got back from the comics store and read it fast (I'm at work :) ).
    I plan on rereading it again in more detail.

The colors do a better job of drawing the lazy human eye to the action.
    The foreground colors are much more prominent than the background colors.

However, the change in artists during the middle of the issue is a little jarring.
    I like both of their work, but it doesn't mesh well. There is definitely a style change. I suppose its better than having two or three artists work on a book and then only seeing 'Art by Pat Lee' on the inside cover.

It was nice to see Megatron take the plunge to the dark side. I think this issue is showing the first issue as a valid component of the overall story.

On a side note, how many times has Cy-Kill been killed in a Transformers comic?
    I remember seeing his corpse in Armada, too. Were there others besides that?

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoyed this one a lot more than the first. The art was a little easier to follow and it was cool to see more Decepticons joining the cause.

If you look closely, you can see Sunstreaker cheering during one of the arena battles.

3. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I was going to mention the Cy-Kill thing as well. You can aslo See Roadbuster, Whirl, and Jazz on page 12 in the crowd listening to Prowl. Also there is a Starscream looking bot on page 6. What page did you see Sunstreaker on?

Pretty good issue. While Marcelo Matere's art is a bit different from Alex's art it still looks OK. I hope to see more of his art later on.

Another thing I wonder about is Ratbat, how is he going to play into things, and how does he get his G1 form?

4. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Still have to pick this up, but that's interesting.

I'll bet it's related to Alex getting sick while he was working on the series (Ryall alluded to it a while back on the IDW forums)

5. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

SENATOR Ratbat?!? :inquisiti 

Me thinks he's gonna get the short end of this deal with Megatron. (as well as a demotion)

Rumble and Frenzy vehicle modes?

For you G1 Marvel Fans: Scrounge is,,, well scrounging. Blaster is also in the issue. And two guys I recognize from TF UK also get a (final) cameo but I don't remember their names.

I almost thought I saw Blades in the crowd, but apparently he's a cop. (although it seems to go against type, maybe it should have been Streetwise instead?) But it could still be AirRaid. Since Sunstreaker and Sideswipe are also at the games it's not impossible for Autobots to be into this sport (Grimlock?) But Blades playing both sides? Possible, but unlikley.

Screw Devastator, the Constructicons slagging Cybertronians on site was even more chilling.

Damn this is good. Plus the easter egg hunt, and Starscream hasn't even shown up yet!!

6. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haven't gotten my copy yet, but is it explained where the Cons get their weapons from? And why Megatron is powerful.

7. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Megatron's characterization seemed to change quite a bit with no warning from last issue. It didn't seem to be the same guy. I thought that the colors were really murky and made it really hard to see all the detail the artists drew in.

8. Optimus

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I believe on the Marvel UK characters you mean Roadbuster and Whirl who I mention above. I also believe they were in Stormbringer as members of the Wreckers.

I also wonder about Senator Ratbat. He seems more concerned with business than being a politician, sorta like his original counterpart who was the Decepticon fuel auditor.

Another one I mentioned above, there is a bot that really looks like Starscream on page 6, right side of the page on the middle floor behind a blue robot.

EDIT:
    I think Megatron has something of a split personality. If you notice he is confused after he killed the officer and shocked to see what he had done. Also notice page 3 of this issue, second to last panel. We see a glimpse of what I call sane Megs, he has a look of shock on his face when he remembers his killing the officer.

It seems Soundwave offered them weapons and technology but Megatron asks him to report to his master so it is possible that Ratbat may be involved.

I think Megatron is naturally strong. Possibly he got upgrades for working with heavy loads in the mines. Soundwave's weapons may help as well.

9. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Page 9. He's in the second from the bottom panel. He even has red shoulders. Is that Sideswipe behind him?

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

It looks like Ratbat is gonna be the dealer with Soundwave as the middle man.

No I'm refering to the ones the Constructicons smelted. I think they're some generibots Andy Wildman came up with. Like, random drunks at Maccadam's.

I think it show Megatron decending into evil. The first kill was instinct. (I still wonder if HE was the one that threw the axe, there were others there) When faced with his own survival he killed the bot that was strangling him. So it was kind of an accident.

The blood sport arena showed he was reluctant to kill for sport (at first). But as he became more comfortable with it, he was ambitious enough to know that to become master, he had to kill the guy running the arena games. Showing his growing political acumen.

By the time the Autobots try to bust him,, he's just starting to become ruthless. "Bumper" (?) kind of ticked him off and he reacted out of anger.

BTW did you notice when he took his helmet off? WTF!?!

I think that's the first cannon reference that Transformers have helmets and not that they are part of their heads.

Still waiting for Starscream (to have lines) and Grimlock.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I cheered for the Crasher cameo. :D 

Art was a bit wonky for the first couple pages, but improved as it went. Still really wishing there weren't -so many panels- crammed into each page, though.

12. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I just wish I could tell who was who.

The mech I keep thinking is Megatron I'm pretty sure isn't always Megatron. But I got no clue.

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I agree. I'm looking for Megatron to be the big white or light grey guy. But the colours and battle markings make them all look the same. I know thats the point of battle markings - to create uniformity in a battle group - but I'm looking for an elegant soldier and general.

The story was good, I'm looking forward to Ratbat, Soundwave and hopefully the protectobot's roll in this.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't know about that. I have to disagree.
    I think they did a great job of showing his change in character.

MAJOR SPOILERS!

People felt like the first issue didn't really go anywhere -but now it seems to be a great component of the overall story. The one thing it did show was that Megatron killed someone. Oddly, he was remorseful about it, later claimed it was an accident (despite the brutal nature of it), and almost seemed to view the person who committed the act as someone other than himself.

Now the second issue starts with him killing again -this time for sport.
    The brutality is in his nature if not yet his character. He reflects on the first crime and you see the remorse in his face. Yet he kills Cy-Kill and the crowd goes wild. He gets the thrill of the kill and the adulation of his peers.

He removes his helmet and his head opens up into that elegant, ornate, possibly even pretty crest design. The crest signifies what he is capable of. He is capable of being something else, there is something delicate and ornate inside him.
    But he buries it. He slams the helmet back on and buries that aspect of him. He chooses his fate -imprisons that aspect of himself within. I have been reading comics and fiction for decades and that is one of the best character turns I have ever seen. It was well written and well illustrated.

After that crossing of the Rubicon moment he has at least 54 more battles and becomes the leader of the gladiator group. Seriously, it was a well displayed change in persona.

All that -along with the other unexpected characters and Easter Eggs and this issue is 100% win. I wish we could have seen Rumble and Frenzy's vehicle modes, but they had to leave us something to look forward to.

I hope IDW incorporates the "Character Study" in future issues like they did with the Galvatron Spotlight.

15. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I'm glad it worked for you Smasher, alas it didn't for me.

16. Optimus

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Just noticed him and maybe Sideswipe there. Sunstreaker also appears on page 4, third to last panel.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I was talking to BB about the books, and he told me what happened with the colors. His monitor's settings were off. It caused everything to be printed darker than how it looked on his comp. He said he fixed it, though. So it should be ok now.

He doesn't really post much at all anymore, and I figured you guys should know what happened.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    BB is Josh Perez?

Either way, I don't have an issue with the coloring on #2.
    #1 was a little hard to follow the flow, but I think #2 was much better.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    His two main screen names are Bumblebee and Dyemooch. I usually just call him BB.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well tell him I thought the colors were fine -LOL!