Megatron or Optimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by PolythenePrime, Oct 7, 2012.

1. PolythenePrime

PolythenePrime Well-Known Member

Who is the best leader? I'm talking in terms of military strategy, individual abilities and their ways to inspire their respective factions.

2. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Which version of the characters?

Animated Optimus Prime is far different than G1 Optimus Prime, who is far different than movie Optimus Prime. Same goes with Megatron as well.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on the continuity. In Prime I'd say Megatron cause he has more resources and more troops, so obviously he's doing something better. Plus at least one person on Optimus' team disobeys him like every other episode and he barely does crap about it. If it weren't for plot armor, plot induced stupidity, conservation of ninjutsu, etc, the Autobots would have lost a while ago.

Basically, GOOD GUYS MUST WIN mentality of kids shows makes the Autobots always win in the end but realistically the Decepticons should be whooping their asses.

4. PolythenePrime

I'm not really being specific about which version, but I would have to agree about Prime's treatment of disobedient troops. He doesn't even give a good scolding in some continuities. Megatron usually does possess way more resources at his disposal, but it;s interest to note how successful Prime and the autobots still manage to be even when they are up against a much larger force. Of course, depends on continuity.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Megatron is a billion times better a leader than Optimus. He accomplished so much more with so much less.

He has the most untrustworthy, shady, back-stabbing opportunists serving under him, and yet he STILL managed to conquer all of Cybertron and eventually expel all Autobots from the planet to either Cybertron's moons or to Earth.

Meanwhile, Optimus leads a bunch of completely honorable and dedicated soldiers, all of whom would gladly die for him at any time, and yet Optimus still managed to completely bungle the war and lose the entire planet.

If Megatron led troops with the amount of loyalty, bravery, and dedication that Optimus enjoys from his troops, Megatron would have won the entire War in about 4 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I like Optimus Prime a lot more, but he didn't have all that great of a track record. His main skills were being cool, having a cool voice, and inspiring others. Unfortunately, the guys he was inspiring didn't accomplish so much.

6. PolythenePrime

I would have to agree with you there. In most iterations I have seen, it seems to me that Megatron has always been the most militarily inclined out of himself and Optimus. I always felt that Optimus, albeit a very inspiring and courageous leader, was/is just never aggressive enough to really beat the Deceptions decisively. Megatron beats Prime in terms of sheer aggression, but then again he is a ruthless dictator-type leader. But I've always been interested in the Megatron/Optimus dynamic from Animated. Always felt that Megatron was for once morally right about his cause.

7. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

G1: Optimus Prime. Megatron never had the focus to win. He never developed any real strategies. He'd just think up a device to kill Autobots and get his scientists to build it.

BW: Megatron easily. He was the one with the plan. The Maximals just stopped them.

BM: It's hard to say. Megatron conquered Cybertron by himself but I don't like to count off screen victories. I'd have to say Optimus because he took back the entire planet with only a handful of troops and did so onscreen.

RID/Armada/Energon: I can't remember.

Cyebrtron: Optimus. Megatron was too obsessed with proving he was stronger to be any threat.

Movies: Megatron. He didn't really get to do any plotting till DOTM. In that, he took advantage of the limited Autobots staying to defend Earth and built up forces off planet and worked with Soundwave's infiltrations on Earth. Optimus really only won through Bay's delusion that a handful of protagonists can take on an entire army with little effort.

TFA: Optimus. He always won despite having little combat and tactical experience and no training. Megatron was just shit in there.

TFP: They both suck. Optimus is happy to just sit around waiting for something to happen and never disciplines his troops while Megatron is directionless and most the decisions he makes are stupid.

8. PolythenePrime

I agree with all of these, especially the movieverse Megs and Prime. If those movies were based off real life war scenarios, the Autobots would had been dead in ROTF. In the first film it was more even, by ROTF the Decepticons stopped dicking around. Well mostly, anyways. But what about WFC/FOC? How do they compare there you think? Personally I feel Megatron outshines Optimus there also.

9. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

That says more about Optimus than Megatron. It was amusing to see his character grow throughout the series until the Magnus hammer deemed him worth to wield its power.

10. PolythenePrime

Good point. Animated is a total Optimus affair for sure. G1 is too. After that things kind of lean towards Megs, at least in terms of brute force and expendable soldiers.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

@PolythenePrime. I didn't post WFC/FOC because I was having a hard time deciding. I think they're equal.

@LegendAntihero. But Megatron, the war veteran leader, never managed to win once against someone who had little (I was wrong when I said he had none as he spent some time at the Autobot Academy) and had only been in battle a few times before, against small numbers.

12. Thighmaster

Thighmaster Active Member

I don't know about Megatron or Optimus, because the continuities are so different.

But I can tell you about a certain seeker leader who is equally incompetent regardless of continuity.

13. PolythenePrime

In WFC they do appear to be equal, same for FOC. The main difference being that the cons are usually pushing battles and playing the offense.