Megatron MUST be a gun

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by orionpacks85, Jul 8, 2006.

1. orionpacks85

orionpacks85 autobot85

Ebay:
    Hi, I just thought I'd throw my two cents on this topic on the boards and see what other people think on the subject...

I think Megatron should be a gun because there seems to be a certain irony in the fact that the most ruthless, treacherous, power-hungry of warriors becomes totally helpless in his alt mode. Yes he is still extremely powerful but he needs someone to function. I doubt Megatron would ever admit to needing anyone's help for anything.
    It's also cool that when teletran 1 did its orignal scan of earth the only thing comparable for Megatron was a gun. Whereas the other Transformers needed weapons, Megatron was a weapon. Teletran did process him as an ambulance, or a helicopter only as a means for destruction.
    This one is ultra-geeky. If we buy into the whole mass-shifting concept, then Megatron in gun mode must be nearly indestructible. His gigantic robot form compressed so small must have one of the highest densities of anything on earth, making him probably able to survive anything (nuclear explosions, sun going nova, whatever)
    Also, if Megatron becomes a tank then it takes a certain element away from Optimus Prime. Tank vs. Truck = no contest. If you'll all remember back to the G1 cartoon when Prime went head to head with Motormaster, Prime lost. And all Motormaster had was an extra trailer!

Anyway, like I said, this is just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone, I'm just trying to start up a conversation.
    Thanks,
    orionpacks

2. Deemer

Deemer Well-Known Member

In the rematch with Motormaster, Prime won. Megatron also loses his mass when he transforms, how else would humans be able to lift him?

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Oh noes, not this again...

If I were Megatron, I'd have myself reformatted into a tank ASAP.

Heaven forbid if the good guy might need more than mere physical strength to defeat the bad guy! There mught be *gasp* suspense even!

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I've always preferred Megs as a tank, but I can see were the original poster is coming from. the most powerful transformer can only do what he does best... with the help of somebody else.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Megatron as a gun is a little cool, but to be honest, I prefer his other alt modes. Tank, gunship, batmobile, dragon, they're all the same sort of "power" alt modes.

In my opinion, Megatron should be a one Decepticon army. The kind of character that should be able to lay waste to whole platoons of Autobots and entire cities all on his own, and that needs serious effort, skill and firepower to bring down. As a gun, he's got a bit going for him - in the movie, he did blow dirty great holes in the Autobots in that mode, and in the comic he was able to hook up to a black hole - but it detracts from the "one robot army" idea if he needs another to hold him.
    That said, the irony is particularly delicious, and Optimus holding Megatron in gun mode is the epitomy of good and evil working together against a greater opponent.

So, I'm neither saying he's better as a tank or a gun. Both have their merits. From a toy perspective, though, it's all about being able to "play" with the other Transformers. That's where all the "robot to role play mode" toys lose out. (Well, there are two exceptions, but they aren't Transformers, and I'd argue that they don't work as well as perhaps they could sometimes, and certainly one out of those two is very much reliant on having another toy to hold it).

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but you're all wrong.

Megatron should always be a crocodile. Every time he's not, it's just a complete and utter travesty and blatant disrespect to the great character of Megatron. If you were all real Transformer fans you would know this.

:p 

7. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Like I always say:

Megatron always was, is and will be a walther P.38

8. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

What I'm wondering is why couldn't he have also been a large gun like Shockwave. Obviously, Megatron had at least two gun sizes. He was easily held by the Decepticons, and he was easily held by humans. I wonder if the smaller he gets the more compact, and powerful his blast becomes?

9. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I just enjoy the fact that Megatron, the most ruthless bad guy of all is a living weapon. :) 

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I hate Megatron, he shouldn't even be in the damn movie! :D 

What?!?! not a gun that's it! It is gun or nothing!

11. randomrage

randomrage Herald of Unicron

I like the RiD Megatron. He could transform into like ten forms. Now THATS how Megatron rolls.

12. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

Megatron should be a giant head that desires chips.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only form of Megs that isn't cooler than a handgun is that blasted alligator... and even that's debatable.

Perhaps the upcoming Classics figure will give the gun-Megs folks what they need and we can all move on.

14. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    You forgot to mention his Megatron/Megaplex mold from War Machines... very intimidating, indeed! :D 

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

GUN mode was a 'STATUS SYMBOL'

TANK was a 'GRUNT' alt mode.

On cybertron, most transformers had Alt modes based on their functions. And before the great wars they had functions based on how they were sold to customers by the Quints.

Civilian and Military.

Everyone is like 'Tank is great!' Well guess what? Tank is the comon drone low-level pile of crap alt mode. Those guys were the grunts. Even the air-mode military TFs were more valuable than them. I mean right on the intro credits to the TF show are throngs of suck-ass tank drones. We know Bombshell, Brawl, Onslaught, Blitzwing were all tanks too in TWW.

Why does shockwave and Starscream hate megatron? Because to them, he is a low-level POS tank grunt and they are elite military commanders. Soundwave was built as a military commander and has a gun mode for that reason. His function is to command, not transform into shit.

It looks like Megs was probably a lowly tank drone who after years of having the largest bark gained power and his tank alt mode grew more powerful. Gun mode on earth was a status upgrade more than anything.

And being a gun allows him to convert energy needed to pwoer a large alt mode into raw destructive blasts... So Gun mode makes plenty of sense as it says right in his TFU and MTMTE profiles that it makes his blasts more powerful than his robot mode.

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahh... the ever popular and overly debated Megatron = Gun thread.

Look, Megatron is great as a gun, but he's great in every other incarnation too. This rediculous pandering to the "ZOMG Megatron MUST be a GUN or it sucks!" thing is kind of old now. I'm just glade that everyone who's wanted a gun Megatron since G1 can be happy that we're getting the nifty little Classics Megs. Hopefully, after that, we can all move on to Megatron actually being something usefull.

The only thing that would make Megatron cool as a gun (and what I'm personally assuming Classics Megs does based on his bio) is if he can fly around like Shockwave could. G1 Megs was never seen to do this and (while I can except size & mass change) him having technically three different sizes (robot, gun held by TFs & gun held by humans) was just a tad rediculous to me personally. But I suppose that I shouldn't want any kind of realism in a line devoted to giant transforming alien robots eh?

17. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

:horse: 

18. Gobot Galvatron

Gobot Galvatron Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Megatron being a tank.

....Correction, I have no problem with a Megatron being a tank. G1 Megatron reformatting into a tank in G2....not good. G2 Megs is the only Megatron I just can't stand.

When done properly, like Armada Megatron.... THAT I can deal with a bit better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Megatron being a tank is great, as long as it fits with the plot, the character, ect. When done wrong, like G2....well, yeah.

...I shouldn't ramble when I've been up for 26 hours straight....

19. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Megatron with different alt.modes is cool too. I really don't care if he is not a gun anymore, as long the toy rocks of course. :D 

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    [​IMG]