Megatron Megabolt

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Didn't see a thread for this guy, so I made one. The thing is, Shane has made this SO popular, everyone's searching for one. I got mine for $10, (Yeah. be jealous! :D ) Everyone's looking for one because of Shane and his chips. But, is it worth it?

This figure was intended for Beast Machines, but was pushed back to RID. Something to note, is that as a child of the new cardbacks, these old ones are big, larger than today's.

Pics are a little blurry, but I'm sorry, my camera isn't working very well, had to use a odd setting.

Let's start.

Giant Head mode

[​IMG]

This mode is the first full-sized head mode since....I don't know, ever. Fans of Beast Machines might recognize this as the Grand Mal, Megatron's spaceship, with which he uses to fly around. Why Megatron's giant head?

Giant ego, I guess. :rolleyes: 

The official bio states that Megabolt is designed to fuse with his spaceship and the Autobot fortress. Now, I've never tried it myself, since I don't have a compatible Autobot fortress, but Shane Anderson has, you can find a pic here, just scroll down a little.

But this Giant Head is a nice little novelty mode. Really fun to display. People stare. They will stare. It would be a nice centerpiece for your collection of Megatrons.

Robot Mode

Yess...

[​IMG]

This robot mode is underrated, due to the popularity of the head mode due to Shane Anderson, due to late-night punchlines thought up in a late-night stupor, due to sleeping during the day. At least, that's what the evidence SHOWS.

So, this mode has very good poseability, the large shoulders don't hurt the arm movement, and his legs are nice and posable too. One of the things not many people like about this mode is the leg stability and back-heaviness. I can tell you that this is partly true. If posed correctly, then Megabolt can stand on his own. I do like this mode, despite the minor problems.

Battle Mode

[​IMG]

You can't tell very well from the picture, but pressing the spark crystal pops down a helmet that looks much like the one Megatron wears in the BM cartoon. Also, attached is a large cannon, that doesn't look too bad. In alt mode, the cannon is hidden under the chin, and the red missile can act as a tongue. This mode is nice for battle, and is a nice homage to the BM cartoon.

So, in general, I give this figure a 8.5 out of 10. I take away a little because of the weak knees, otherwise it's a nice figure. It's not worth the $50 on eBay, but if you can find it for $20, then it's a nice buy. For the $10 I got it, it's a must-buy.

2. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I think these were a Kay Bee exclusive, weren't they? Or were they general mass-release? I paid the usual Kay Bee markup, which was around $13 for deluxe figures. I remember that it came packaged in robot mode with the knees bent so it would fit in the bubble.

I remember being disappointed at the time that it was small... I was hoping for a larger head since the actual show version was so massive.

The main weakness of the mold has to be the knees, which combined with the huge backpack cause the figure to tip over backwards far too easily. But it has a good color scheme, interesting transformation, and unique alt mode in the giant head.

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Yes, he was a KB exclusive. I just got this from BBTS. I have to say he is a ton of fun to fiddle with. I really like it. The knees are a little loose but, with some effort you can get some awesome poses out of him.

4. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I also have the later KayBee exclusive, the green and gold version of Megabolt. It's identical to the first apart from the color scheme.

5. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Wasn't there Cerebos or something like that? He transformed into a giant head.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

You're thinking of RID Cerebros, who was RID Fort. Max's head and in the show summoned Fort. Max all the time. An artifact trademark left over from the Headmasters cartoon line where Cerebros and Fort. Max acted the same, except Cerebros had his own headmaster (get ready):

Spike Witwicky.

Yes, he was a headmaster for those of you who didn't already know. Daniel also was Arcee's head.

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Spike and Daniel weren't Headmasters in Headmasters, you're thinking of The Rebirth.

8. Autobot Burnout

Ah, thank you. I always misplace what series they're from like that. sixshot still should have killed Daniel IMO, though.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Every TF series should begin with Sixshot killing Daniel, just to get it off to a good start.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I only have the gold version, Megabolt.

and it's rotting away due to the wonderful gold plastic. woohoo!

because of the ankle joints and the odd way the leg is sculpted, and the knee joint, I could never, ever get the damn figure to stand. even if he was propped against something he's slide into a sitting position.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Megabolt has GPS! Haha, glad I sold that thing off while it was intact.

12. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well, not the one I have. The one I have doesn't have GPS.

He DID have weak knees out of the box though. And I only bought him last year (again, due to Shane Anderson's comic).

I actually put up a video review too - there's only 1 other one on Youtube I think.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    give him some time. if one has it, they all do. too short of a production run to do any running changes. just like there are still some okay black zaraks, slogs, and bristlebacks in the world, all will suffer from GPS eventually.

the pegs on mine's arms broke off, the latch for his gun broke off, and his helmet is cracking.

14. Autobot Burnout

Ain't that the truth.:lol 

15. Sage o' G-fruit

News Credits:
    I got mine cause of Shane too. :lol 

I just found something out. Megabolt can be put on top of Cybertron Metroplex as seen here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Sage o' G-fruit

News Credits:
    Also figured something out. Megabolt's leg panels can be pushed down to hold down his feet for balance.

So now he stands up. :D