Megatron in USA Today - The Matrix's Hugo Weaving will voice Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Pete Sync, Mar 27, 2007.

1. PRIME SUSPECT

PRIME SUSPECT Active Member

My two cents

1st I have not read all the post so forgive me if this has been brought up-:drunk 
    But does anyone else find it (funny,Ironic or other) that they did not want to use the name "Matrix" (the now) "Allspark" for reasons of people relating or reminding (for a better word) peeps of the Matrix movies, but we now have one of the main actors from said movie...?????

And I have been rewatching my entire box set of G-1 TRANSFORMERS.. I to wanted Welker...:horse: 

I am however happy to say my 13 year old son is now officially addicted to watching it with his dad...:thumb 

2. prime04

prime04 Well that's just Prime!

i agree with the choice for megatrons voice.

3. Jasonnin

Jasonnin Well-Known Member

Well a huge part of the reason why Cullen was given the part of Optimus was the fan base. We screamed and yelled and whined. And they listened. Maybe our voices weren't loud enough, for Welker?

4. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I'm disappointed. I like Hugo Weaving, but the pairing of Peter Cullen and Frank Welker again would have been something to really look forward to.

5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Ditto. I'm not disapointed Weaving will be Megatron, but I am very disapointed Welker won't be Megatron.

6. nm156

nm156 Member

Eeehh..XCeehh..LLENT!!

7. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, that does sound pretty ironic...:inquisiti 

8. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Agent Smith too... but I'm still disappointed.

9. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    I know it's probably blasphamy to even think this, but I really feel that Frank Welker's Megatron wouldn't have fit this version of Megatron. The new Megatron is scary and sinister and threatening were as Welker's was just kinda mean. I was never convinced that Welker was the right choice for this Megatron, so this news is kind of a relief. Weaving sounds like and excelent choice to me, so I'm happy.

As far as getting Cullen to voice Prime, Cullen's voice is really the only one I can see comming from Prime. Optimus Prime, as written, fits with the noble quality of the voice Cullen uses. I don't know how to really explain it any better. It just works for me.

10. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DO. NOT. WAAAAAAANNNNNNTTT.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, Larry the Cable Guy's voice sounds too goofy for Ironhide. I couldn't possibly take Ironhide seriously with that voice.

We should get Chuck Norris to voice Ironhide.

12. Brawny

Brawny Well-Known Member

I'm open to it. Maybe Weavings voice will give the character something other than a spark eating, jagged, wicked looking demon. I think the g1 voice would've been too much for the image of Megs, would send the kiddies screaming!! :eek: 

13. TFFan2005

TFFan2005 Well-Known Member

I'm sad about Welker not doing the voice but at least we have Cullen!!!!

14. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

Though pity Welker not doing the voice this time... at least one iconic G1 actor takes the lead! Hopefully Weaving would be able to pull this off...

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    G1 Meg's voice was as sinister as that of Dr. Claw.:rolleyes2 

16. urabob

urabob Bienvenido Consumidor

I gotta admit. I love Hugo and I love Welker. Although I'm sad Welker isn't Megatron... maybe he will voice another part? Either way, this movie was bound to have some big names attached to the TFs. At least, they are good ones so far. :) 

17. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Plus, while Gary Chalk (or anyone else who's done Prime) does sound different, he sounds VERY close to Prime as done by Cullen. In fact, it wasn't until well into 1st season BW that I realized it WASN'T Cullen. Now, I am hypersensitive to both voices, but still check the credits to verify (Chalk is doing Dragon Booster on Jetix/ToonDisney).

Megatron on the other hand, has been different since BW, and thus, I just go w/ - does THIS voice fit THIS incarnation of Megatron? Current one works for me, as does Starscream (most of the time).

Count me in the wait-and-see camp for Weaving - if they synthezise his voice a bit, so it's not as darn obvious, then his manner of speaking will work. Alternatively - he may surprise us & do some very different inflecting/tones (y'know, ACT), and it won't be as glaring.

18. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Well having listened to the 6 sec recording of Weaving that was digitized that someone posted on a thread, I can't say that this is a completely bad thing. I would have loved Welker to be paired w/ Cullen, but I frankly prefer the Kaye-type sinister voice and Weaving seems to have that plus the name recognition. I think this will work out for the best.

Plus, you never know. Maybe they will release a "fan" edition sometime down the road where they sub in Welker doing Megs instead of Weaving. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult.

19. Stahi

Stahi Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the case, don't go see the movie cause you already know Ironhide single-handedly destroys the Decepticons just by waving at them.

20. Stahi

Stahi Well-Known Member

..Though Welker's Dr. Claw voice was an un-processed, unsynthesized Soundwave voice. ;D