Megatron, If Frank Welker Retired?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    We all know Frank Welker is the original Megatron from the G1 series and he is currently doing Megatron voices either in Video Games or current Tv series and I believe he is now Hugo Weaving's replacement for the Movieverse. But what if Frank Welker decided to retire? Who could take his place for Megatron in any future TV Series or Movies? We all know there were other actors who Played Megatron in the past like David Kaye or Corey Burton. Just who could match up Welker's rasping voice?

I guess I also ask if Frank Retired, who would also take his place as Freddy from Scooby Doo? Since he is also the original and currently doing TV and Movies today.

2. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I think the more important question is "Who'd voice Fred and Scooby-Doo?"

I'm sure now people would have to try and emulate any of our favorites once they retire.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Kaye and Burton were both fantastic. Welker's raspiness is his own thing, though, and I feel like trying to imitate it would just serve as a reminder that the person voicing Megatron isn't Welker. I think if Megatron were to receive a new voice actor, they should be encouraged to make their own take on the character rather than imitate something that isn't them.

• Like Like x 12
  4. Venixion

Venixion So-Cal Girl

News Credits:
    It would suck, but it'd be totally understandable.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    It would be unfortunate if Frank Welker retired, but I'd absolutely support him in his decision. With his age it would be understandable.

If he retired they'd simply give someone else a chance to voice the character. Some of the most beloved characters in fiction have had many, many different voices over the years.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Welker has an Understudy, ala Greg Baldwin for Mako?

7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    On the subject of Megatron, I fully agree with Coffee, anyone trying to mimic the Welker rasp would just be a constant reminder that he isn't Frank. So any post Welker Megatrons should do their own thing the way Burton and Kaye have.
    I'd also love to see Kurtwood Smith and Simon Templeman take on the role.

Outside of transformers though, Welker's retirement would be a MASSIVE blow to the animation and voice over industry. Check his imdb page. Dude is in practically every goddamned cartoon ever made. Welker's retirement would probably allow several hundred Previously unknown voice actors the chance to finally find work.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Corey Burton for me.
    David Kaye's Megatrons have a charm all their own wich i specifically associate with their particular incarnations.
    Maybe a future version of Megatron would be best suited to Kaye, and i would love if he got to do BW Megatron again.
    But for a G1 esque or Aligned Megatron i think Burton would be better suited.

• Like Like x 3
  9. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    For Megatron, you answered your own question. David Kaye or Corey Burton. I actually prefer their Megatrons over Frank's, yessss. Decepticons, transform and rise up!

Tony Todd (the voice of Zoom in Flash season 2) would be a good choice.

Or for some quirky fun, Gilbert Gottfried! :p 

As for Freddy, who knows?

• Like Like x 2
  10. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    John DiMagggio. No Question, he would be a Perfect replacement for Megatron. Though we did had a perfect voice match for Welker in the Form of Jason Marnocha from CW.

As for Fred & Scooby? Ruh-Roh. I'm not sure.

11. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    I don't think there's anyone capable of perfectly replicate Welker's Megatron voice. Fred Tastaciore is a good successor for future G1 Megatrons, and Jason Marnocha did a pretty decent job in Combiner Wars.

Of course, David Kaye and Corey Burton are beyond perfect for Megatron, though I personally don't see their voices working on other Megatrons besides the ones they played.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This. I'd much rather have a new VA try their own take on Megatron, like how Corey Burton did in TFA.

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Each Megatron should have whatever voice best matches them. Welker is great for more brutal and maniacal tyrants, while David Kaye was fantastic as a comedic schemer and Corey Burton was just as good when portraying a calmer, more sophisticated warlord. If they do want another Megatron like the ones Welker portrays, when he isn't available, then I agree with Coffee that they should be allowed to do their own thing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I would love to see David Kaye back as Megatron.

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I think a better question would be who would replace him if he died. Frank Welker is so old now I think if he wanted to retire he would have done it already. He's more likely to keep on acting till the day he dies.

As for replacing him, they'll never find anyone that can do every character he can. It's never been done before. Someone might be able to sound exactly like Megatron but can't do Fred's voice. Plus, different shows with different casting directors, they will almost certainly end up being voiced by different actors.

I think the guy who voiced Megatron in WfC could replace him. Till I looked at the credits I didn't even realize that wasn't Frank Welker. I've heard others say the same and the OP even mentioned video games, though he didn't say which ones. Makes it sound like he thinks Frank is the voice in all of them.

16. JLvatron

JLvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why is nobody mentioning the Megatron voice actor from Robots in Disguise 2001??? :) 

HAHAHH!!
    "Dacta Huxtable! Dacta Huxtable!" :D 

17. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

He's only 71. Compared to Peter Cullen (75) and Masako Nozawa (80) he's plenty young.

18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of there are others who are older, it's a matter of he's already well past retirement age. I think it's late 55-65 that most people are elidgable to retire at which means if he hasn't done it at this point I doubt he ever will. Some people never retire. I had a teacher back when I was in high school, he retired as a regular teacher for like a year, got board then came back working part time as a sub. He also was a teacher when my parents were in school, for them he was full time, for me he was a sub. Saw him at Wall Mart last year, kinda surprised he was even still alive, dude is in his 90's and still works.

I think Mel Blec worked till the day he died and Frank Welker is basically the Mel Blec of today just based on the number of characters they're known for voicing. In that respect, I'm pretty sure Scott McNeil is the next in line.

19. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor JaAmS

I don't know who did the voice, but i absolutely love whoever voiced him in the War for Cybertron video games.

20. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I'm with Coffee and the others who want post-Welker Megatron voice actors to have their own take on the character instead of trying to fill Welker's ridiculously-sized shoes.

• Like Like x 1