Megatron/galvatron toys that look most like '86 movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by timothyeraw, Aug 30, 2009.

1. timothyeraw

timothyeraw New Member

Thinking about buying my first TF toys since childhood and i'd LOVE some links/suggestions to the best Megatron/Galvatron toy that look most like the '86 movie (these can include non-official/fan made toys). I don't want to pay ridiculous amounts, but if it's truly awesome then go ahead, post and try and twist my arm!

2. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Suggestions......

For Megatron:get the Masterpiece version and for Galvatron:get the re-issue version in movie colors.In my opinion,these are probably the closest you are going to get to movie-accurate unless you want the non-transforming figures.

3. Heat Blast

Heat Blast Laserbeak's Stunt Double

Personally, I like Henkei! Megs and Energon Galvatron (you can remove half of his wings if you want).

4. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

This

5. timothyeraw

timothyeraw New Member

Great suggestions so far!

Appreciate the great suggestions, though when I looked at the price tag, perhaps a little too much. Hunting around, I think I'll settle on the Revoltech Megatron for around 25 dollars. As for Galvatron, while the reissue is obviously better, it's still bulky and boxy like the 1986 toy it's based on. Looking for the Revoltech equivalent with much more sleek and detailed design. If there are no options like that, what about fan made toys? Any reputable sources I should contact?

6. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I only have classics Galvatron, and I think it looks pretty accurate. If you can get his head to stay up, that is.

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    masterpiece megatron if you want it to transform. classics galvatron is pretty good, sometimes it falls apart though

8. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    If your all about poseabilty, try The Univ. Classic.

Just know that there is a little quality issue.
    ex: The head.

9. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    revoltech megatron if you just want to pose. great little toy. In fact get all of the revoltech transformers.

10. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

For a fan made (custom) Transformer, I'd suggest visiting the radicons section. At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, there's a section called "commisioners and feedback" which has a list of people you can contact. I'm warning you now though, if price is an issue for Masterpiece Megs, you might not wanna know how much a custom will cost.

11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Even though Henkei Megatron's gun mode is not accurate to G1 his robot mode is definitely so. And with Energon Galvatron he is so completely accurate to G1 minus the wings & plane nosecone backpack. I'd say those two are truly as close as you can get. Granted I think Classics Galvy was a very big missed opportunity to give us that cannon mode with a much better articulated robot. Not to mention the size! Man, Classics Galvy should've at least been a voyager size.

13. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

If you don't want the reissue Galvatron (which is an excellent toy, you really have to hold it in your hand with all the ratcheting joints and red tinted chrome), the closest to the '86 movie you can get is Henkei Galvatron. Although he turns into a tank with a slightly ridiculous chrome turret. But the robot design is the closest you can get to the animation model, and the robot colour scheme is very accurate to the season 3 cartoon (not the '86 movie, where he was more blue.)

There was also a non-transforming Galvatron made as a convention exclusive in Japan, made by a third party with a one day license from Takara. It was extremely accurate to the '86 movie, since it didn't have to transform. But I feel like I'm being cruel by mentioning it, since there's very little chance you'd ever be able to own it. :( 

BotCon Japan 1997 Super High Bred Model - Galvatron

For Megatron, the closest you can get to the '86 movie and cartoon would be Revoltech Megatron, although he's more inspired by Pat Lee's Dreamwave comics art style. But the proportions are much closer to the cartoon than the next alternative, which would be Masterpiece Megatron. The Masterpiece robot mode obviously suffers a lot from having to transform into a handgun, but is otherwise very accurate to the cartoon/movie.

I know that a lot of people are suggesting Henkei/Classics Megatron... and it's an excellent toy. Any fan of Megatron should definitely own one. But he's not accurate to the '86 movie at all, he's just a strong homage to it. Even if you take the wings off, he's not close to being an accurate representation of the original character model. But it depends how accurate you need it to be. :)