Megatron coming back might be a good thing story-wise

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Rayzilla Prime, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Yes, we all know how Megatron met his fate in DOTM - Optimus lodged an axe in his head and tore it off.

I'm open for a new leader to step forward, be it Galvatron stepping up to fill some shoes :) p) or, going the Beast Wars route, a new Megatron that's simply taking the name and following in his footsteps to fulfill the vision the Decepticon leader had in mind.

But is it just me, or could Megatron coming back actually be a GOOD thing story-wise? What if Megatron...truly can't die?

Here's how I'd see it - he's got a backup plan for his backup plan; he's left a last will somewhere where a Decepticon is most likely to stumble upon it. Should he not survive, he's left a message that tells of…oh, something that will "revive" Megatron by uploading his mind inside a surviving Hatchling or some new body he's had prepared. *It really doesn't need a serious in-depth explanation of HOW this can be pulled off, just show it so we'd see why Megatron is back.

To me, it's more of an overused cliche on Optimus to see him die and come back again, but it would fit better with Megatron because he's the bad guy. Megatron cheated death once before (ROTF), let's see him do it again so we can see the true power of the Decepticon warlord.

*We've been shown that there are Transformers that have mastered the concept of teleportation. I think they can get away with a few things.

2. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    if galvatron appears i bet he would be a seperate guy, as Megatron was meant to be renamed to galvatron in ROTF, but this was scrapped cause they feared changing his name would confuse the general audience

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    As interesting as a concept as a literally unkillable Megatron could be, especially if you tied it into the "you NEED me" taoist balance of the Primes and Megatron thing, I can't see it being done well. I mean, come on, they've killed him twice now, almost three times. I think it's time for another 'con to get his time in the face-ripping arena.

Unless its a reboot, of course.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think bringing back wouldn't fly because the writers kind of did everything they could with him: We saw him as a unstoppable rampaging beast [TF2007], a prideful fierce warlord [ROTF], and a decaying cunning mastermind [DOTM].

I don't think we have much else left to show about Megatron, we saw him in his prime, we saw him in his last days, if we brought him back, what would they DO to him? Unless they try to reboot his personality as a in-name only Megatron, I don't think they have much room left.

It also would undo the all the "dying tyrant" trait of DOTM that I love so much, seeing the mighty Megatron catching up with his life of warfare, his body and mind decaying, he slowly losing his sanity across the movie. I always liked that. Bringing him back would just undo all.

BUT, I think this can vaguely work in two shapes:

1 - Make Megatron's death only the beginning: Show his death really wasn't the end of his cruelty, show how much of a evil he really is; even after dead, he still plagues our heroes, like through a pupil [Galvatron or Nemesis Prime if you like], a succesor following things Megatron left behind to be used to destroy the Autobots [countless characters can be this, like Ratbat], an old ally he attracted to Earth [Straxus], a plague he unleashed before he died [The Swarm, Scraplets], or even a God he would unleash upon the universe after his death ["If I'm dying, the universe goes with me"], with the aide of followers [Unicron].

Not actually bringing him back, but just showing how troublesome he is: Not even death can rule him out of the threats.

2 - Show him no longer as the actual villain, but more like an immortal creature watching the events unfold or something, like Rasputin in the Hellboy Comics, maybe a ghost tormenting Optimus, or a voice in the villain's head guiding him.

Either of those two would be brillant, but anything else? Meh.

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I'd like the BW route. Some random Protoform steps iup and declares himself Megatron.

But I'd bet Bay would be a dumbass and have Igor magically revive Megs somehow.

6. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like your 1st idea. It makes sense in a way that could introduce new decepticons nd hopefully more ruthless nd that can mayb take out a few autobots as well before bein turned into BayScrape

7. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

This. I would love to see Megatron going through both the minds of the new leader and Optimus himself. Not to mention, it would be brilliant to see Megatron tormenting Optimus for all the pain he's caused, bringing Optimus to realize everything he's done. In this way, Megatron would be a physical reminder to Optimus of all that he's caused.

8. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I don't know. Given Megatron's characterization in Dark of the Moon, I could easily see him evolving into a corrupted hero archetype - one who's genuinely noble ideals (he wanted to save Cybertron, as evidenced by his dialog when Carly finds him: "Cybertron, you are saved... at last.") became grossly distorted as he rose to power. Mostly, it would be building off Hasbro's aligned continuity, which can still be applied to the mostly unwritten back story of the movie-verse. Megatron's final death - the conclusive end to his character arc - could be an almost heroic sacrifice, all for the purpose of ultimately saving Cybertron.

Of course, redeeming him as such would require a real focus and attention to story and character which the movies, as much as I love them, have thus far sorely lacked.

One way or the other, you can bet Hasbro would want Megatron to return, which means he's likely to get a toy in the inevitable TF4 line, even if he's not in the movie.

Actually, I think this is the perfect way to handle Starscream without resorting to the G1 "Ghost" concept (which is likely to be mocked just as much, if not more, than "Robot Heaven"). Make Starscream the tormenting voice in a resurrected Megatron's head. It develops Megatron's character, brings Starscream back without also resurrecting him, and can further the characters' classic argumentative relationship which was, sadly, lacking in the first and third movies.

9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    That would be pathetic if true.

10. JayEm

JayEm Savage Life

What they should have done is left Shockwave out of DOTM and saved him as the new Decepticon leader. Hes bad ass enough.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Back from the dead is pretty hard for any movie to pull off. Well okay short of horror films but then it's that special thing of undead.

Back from the dead felt really bad in Revenge of the Fallen and I'm just not sure that the writer could come up with some way of back from the dead that is going to feel like a great story idea. It's going to feel like oh crap we are making more movies and we shouldn't have killed off our bad guy so lets bring him back.

Megatron has been killed twice already so if they kill him a third time they are going to have to change his name to Kennytron.

12. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I agree. That story would be PERFECT for a comic book, novel, or show, but not in a movie where you have limited time for a whole plot and not just the development of one character.

13. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This.

There are so many great ideas to explore in the movieverse, but most of those ideas just wouldn't pan out well in a 2.5 hour movie, even with a very talented director.

14. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Meh, it was worth a shot. :/

Like I said in the OP, I'm optimistic about what's gonna come in the near future, be it TF4 or a reboot. Even then, I never said the best idea was to bring him back, just thought there might be an upside to it.

15. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Megatron doesn't work as a hero, while he may have ONE good intention [bringing back Cybertron], one must keep in mind his solution to ANYTHING is "GENOCIDE!": He wanted to to it on Earth, he did on Cybertron, and besides that he is still a man in love with tyranny, that guy really can't become a hero without derailing the living crap out of the character.

He's more like a Inquisitor: "wanting to rid the world with sin" [i.e vaguely noble objective] by killing everything on sight and acting like an overall dick while being sinful himself [ridicuously horrible EVERYTHING ELSE].

The point is, he is the most monstrous Megatron from every continuity, he's a tyrant, and a genocidal military obsessed guy, it would be a massive stretch to turn him in a hero, even with his love for his old home.

It would require a miracle, no really, compare him to Hitler. Now see how creepily similar they are.

They argue constantly in their scenes in the third movie ["YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TOLD, WHICH IS NOTHING"], and I don't think SS is that much of a character to use that trick, even with some heavy-artillery character development.

That trick would be cool for Megatron because he is a monstrous genocidal tyrant who [in case of Optimus'] was one day your friend, the idea of having him inside your head is horrifying to put it mildly.

Starscream is just pathetic, it doesn't have the same impact.

I mean, imagine Megatron's voice echoing on Optimus' head, questioning him if all the things he's been through have been worth it, questioning if he accomplished anything at all, that bodyless, threatening voice of a dead man echoing slowly.

Imagine the same with SS''s wimpy voice. Doesn't have the same effect.

16. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

a cool concept is that megaton is still dead, but he can still have a twisted plan to get revenge even in his death. In rotf he said even in death there is no command but his. Megaton haunt optimus and warn him of his revenge. Then later you learn that he had a highly trained warrior that skill exceed optimus and he(scourge) is created for one purpose........to kill optimus prime and take over the deceptions in megaton's absence. then later scourge tries to rise up the deceptions and bring the other dead warriors back to life.

17. Cybertrons

Cybertrons Member

I'm glad Megatron is dead it is time for a new character to be introduced.

18. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shockwave will just be Megatron's puppet,nothing else.Bringing Megatron back is not a bad idea after all

19. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Nah, just bring in Unicron. As a matter a fact, since Orci and Kurtzman wanted Unicron in TF3 but left the project, maybe the fans can get them to come back since Transformers Prime proves that their writing isn't stale. If they come back we could probably have Unicron and Galvatron

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd much rather see the films go out on their own and blaze new territory story-wise, rather than rely on concepts and characters we've seen over and over for the last 20 years.