Megatron cares?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, May 8, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Do you think in the G1 Cartoons Megatron does care for the rest of The Decepticons or he uses them to reach his goal?

2. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say he doesn't. I specifically remember Hound mentioning the Destrons don't care about each other to Mirage when he was wondering why the didn't come back for Ravage.

3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, but consider the source.

To contrast that, there's an episode where Megs and Prime team up and Megatron says, "I do this only for the benefit of my Decepticons. It grieves me that you may also profit."

4. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

Good point. My mistake.:eek: 

5. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    No worries :) 

6. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    He must care for them in some respect or they wouldn't follow him. They've severat million years to figure it out after all and although some decepticons are dumber than rocks, many are quite intelligent.

In fact, I think this is a major diffrence between Megs and Starscream and the reason Megatron isn't really threatend by Screamer. Megs knows that without the loyalty of the Decepticon army behind them no one can successfully over throw him. Starscream knows this too but he's so power-hungry he loses perspective and makes that same mistake over and over.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What he says and what he thinks may be two very separate things. Megatron is not known for his honesty in the original series. Megatron is willing to give his troops just enough to keep them motivated and under his thumb, but the moment they outlive their usefulness, he will likely "cut them loose".

8. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    True, but Prime was the only one in the room, and I doubt he cares what Prime thinks about the way he treats his troops. No reason to lie. And also, I can't help but think of the scene in Microbots when Megatron sits down and has a drink with all his men. Gets drunk with them and reminisces about Cybertron. It took 25+ years before we finally saw Prime do the same with Ironhide (minus the getting drunk part).

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think he cares about Soundwave, and later as Galvatron, there is that scene fro m "Dweller in the Depths", where Cyclonus gets captured by the Dweller and cries out to Galvatron for help, Galvy pauses for a second, which always to me seemed like he cared a little for Cyclonus. But then again, As Galvatron he wasn't exactly the same person anymore, but whatever, that's my 2 cents.

10. syclonefs

syclonefs Rogue-Prime

News Credits:
    G1 Megatron didn't care as long as he got to his goal.

11. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

Also, don't forget about the scene in "Five Faces of Darkness" where Wheelie shot the sweep in the face and Galvatron refused to save him and told him to "Meet his end with dignity". That part always makes me laugh. :lol 

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The dumb ones follow him because they are evil/enjoy war and don't know any better. The intelligent ones follow him because they think they are on the winning side (ie eventually gain power) or are planning to usurp Megatron's command at some point either through a coup or his death.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Sure he does. Megatron's character is all about brutality and and control under the guise of class and truth. I mean, his motto is "Peace through tyranny", not "Give me power!", and he achieved power by making grand promises and inspiring a horde of misanthropes, not through threats and intimidation (though there were likely a lot of threats and intimidation on top of those promises). He's just as interested in making himself look good to Optimus as he is in making Optimus look bad to everyone else.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The only Megatron i think that ever cared about someone else being other than himself was Armada, granted he was a tyrant for most of the series but when Prime dies he gets depressed and admits he likes having Prime around, that and he scarifices himself to stop Unicron.

Shame Energon screwed him, along with i dunno everyone else up.

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In Energon, Megatron sure seemed to care when Demolisher got...demolished.

G1 Megatron seems to care for Laserbeak.

16. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

He seemed to be pretty friendly with the more loyal ones like Soundwave, Shockwave (cartoon only, obviously), Laserbeak, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that he *cares*, just that he knows it's a good idea to support his most loyal followers.

17. WeX_nFx

WeX_nFx ArtDesign TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    In one of the recent IDW comics where Soundwave gets shot in the face by prime... Megatron was taken back by that.. He was dissapointed in Prime and his first priority became "get soundwave care now". At that moment I saw black helmet g1 megatron and liked it! Prob why I decided to take Megatrons WFC head and put it on ROTF mindwipes body FTW!!!!!!!!!

18. WeX_nFx

WeX_nFx ArtDesign TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    [G1 Megatron seems to care for Laserbeak.[/QUOTE]

Well..."Unlike some of my other warriors YOU never fail me!"
    Megatron to Laserbeak

I'd love that bird to if it had a 100% success rate! Why dont they just make a bunch of those damn birds!

19. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

I think it's difficult to form a 'profile' on Megs based on the fact that details regarding his rise to power are a bit sketchy. In fact, details about the 'hows' and 'whys' of the war are non-existant.

From where I sit, I think answers to those things would better positions us to postulate on Megs and if he cares for his soldiers.

With little supporting evidence I'm left to just toss out what I think to be true...but I have no basis for this other than my own meandering imagination.

I think Megs cares to the extent that he has respect for most of his soldiers and, in some cases, tollerates them despite his hatred of them due to their abilities (Starscream). HOWEVER....I think that Megs is more in touch with the realities of war than Prime is. As such, he accepts the idea of fallen soldiers and considers the Decepticons subordinates only, not personal relationships.

Prime, conversely, looks at every Autobot as a trusted friend and companion that he happens to lead in to battle. This means that Prime will fight to save them all and that the loss of any soldier is not acceptable.

I think that's one of the issues between the two leaders; Prime will not hurt another species to save themselves.....Megs sees it as a necessary evil to continue their race and is offended at the suggestion that they, the 'better species,' should even concern themselves with human life.

Just my take on it.

Dex

20. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You clearly have not played War for Cybertron.