Megatron and Optimus—Not to scale?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by LCDR Blindside, Jul 5, 2012.

1. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Now, to start, I know nothing about sizes. If a Mack cab is tiny compared to a Peterbilt cab, this thread is null and void. However, I just today noticed something that bugged the hell outta me.

How is Megatron, a semi truck with a trailer portion that transforms with him, now shorter than Optimus, a simple semi cab? I guess Megatron's pretty stocky, but his Voyager toy being blatantly out of scale with Optimus in vehicle mode just gets me.

Am I wacko, or is this another instance of fighter jets turning into semi-truck sized robots?

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I wouldn't say he's shorter than Optimus in DOTM, but he's certainly not any taller like he used to be.

Remember, Optimus' transformation is all about extending, it's based on height, guys like Megs and Starscream have more bulk focus in their transformations, they compress more than Optimus, Starscream especially.

So yeah, it's the second one.

3. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Well, his trailer seemed very hollow in the movie, so I always attribute some of that to his smaller size. :wink:  Maybe the toy just couldn't pull off engineering like that. And what seekerblackout said. :wink: 

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I don't think he's shorter then Optimus in the movie. Either the same height or a bit taller. As for the toy? The vehicle is probably smaller too accommodate the size of his robot mode.

And yeah, Mack cabs are smaller then Peterbilts, though not as much as the toys would suggest (I think, don't have either of them). Included a bit of concept art that shows it pretty well.

Attached Files:

5. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, Megatron's vehicle just collapses and gets compressed more when transforming into robot mode than Optimus' does.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Just like how Starscream should be like twice the size of Optimus, given the size of his alt-mode.

7. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Yeah, Megatron compresses. The toy just wasn't built with ROTF Leader Prime/DOTM HA Roadbuster engineering.

8. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

The actual truck part is smaller than the Peterbilt, and most of it just slides around into Megatron's chest, leaving the tanker to make his legs and part of his back.

Megs basically compresses himself, as others have noted, into a bulkier form, much like Screamer folds himself into a wider and bulkier robot than most.

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I just spent 10 minutes searching through my computer files to try and find that pic, Ra88. :lol  And then I realized you had it.

But yeah, Megatron isn't shorter than Optimus in robot mode. At a minimum he's the same height. Plus he's stocky. And the Mack truck cab is smaller overall than the Peterbilt. Basically everything that Ra88 and Meta777 have said.

10. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    It's all in the posture.

11. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    I think they're about the same size now. The only time you see them together in DOTM is when Prime destroys Megatron and that was a pretty quick scene.

12. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

they are about the same size, megs I do think is slightly bigger