Megatron a good leader?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by 0MEGATR0N, Apr 12, 2012.

1. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

no worries.

2. 0MEGATR0N

im not sure I follow,how is it unfitting?

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I wonder if the writers didn't Megatron a bad leader on purpose. Megatron still has all his fighting skill from his days as a champion gladiator, but winning by yourself in the arena doesn't seem to translate into being an effective leader of others. Maybe the writers are attempting to make some point about how physical might alone isn't enough for a leader.

Or perhaps they were worried that if Megatron was as brilliant and cunning as Beast Wars Megatron then it would be too hard to come up with reasons for the Autobots to win almost every week. It just seems like the Decepticons are always held back from things that should be easy like Soundwave finding the Autobot base.

4. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but would you mind reading my previous posts? I had an entire conversation with a fellow about this and it was draining to say the least.

Basically, he hasn't done much in the course of the show. If this same character were on Cybertron, I can't imagine how he won the war. Nor how he engineered a disease all by himself. Nor how he won in gladiatorial fights. Nor how he gathered people to his cause (unless they REALLY hated Sentinel Zeta Prime).

5. 0MEGATR0N

I not sure about the first 2 points but its easy to see how he won all the gladitorial fights,have you read megatron origin?but last I remember no one won the war which is why they (autobots and decepticons) are not on cybertron,but its easy to see why he is the best gladiator,his anger for being treated as second class fueled him in the pits of kaon,once he rose from the pits he befriended pax who in the end and in megatrons mind backstabbed him when pax took the mantle of prime,again his anger fueled him and he put together the decepticon faction,his strengh and anger seem to be why he is where he is now.

6. Puck Hockey

I have not read Megatron Origin. Comic books are a tad spendy and I only grab certain ones that I know won't branch out into 4 different issues at once.

Yeah, but he's supposed to be strong, ruthless. He's not. Yes, he's very strong, second only to Optimus Prime, but outside of his battle with the insecticon, it doesn't show. He spends most of his time talking, standing, or just trolling with everyone. You can say time has changed him, which is entirely plausible, but you'd think he'd be a bit more savage in combat. And he's not ruthless. If he was ruthless, he would have killed every single Autobot in Orion Pax part 3 except for Optimus. But he didn't.

7. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Second to Optimus Prime? Cause... Y'know.... He did kick prime's ass in both the major fights those two had. On the subject of Megatrons leadership skills:
    Perhaps Megatrons biggest problem is his pridefullness, and inability to properly coordinate his forces. Had he kept Screamer, and Airachnid in line, he might very well have defeated the Autobots by now. Megatron is a brilliant sceamer, and tactition, however the fact that his troops seem to have a hard time working as a team, and thinking for themselves on the battlefield(besides Dreadwing, and Knockout) Has a huge impact on his faction's productivity. For all his strength as a warrior, and leader, his lack in forsight sometimes cripples his otherwise brilliant plans.

And seriously? You can't understand how he won all those fights? He's arguably the best fighter in the show!

8. 0MEGATR0N

well alot of this is due to how this stuff has to be written,if he unleashed his true power like I said before not even prime could stand in his way.

9. Puck Hockey

And this is the number one issue with the show.

But in any case, Optimus didn't lose necessarily in Darkness Rising, he was drawing the fight out for Arcee. He got right back up and Megatron left to save his bridge. He definitely won in One Shall Fall until Megatron got the external power boost from Unicron, so it was not his own strength. Then Prime shows his absolute superiority in Orion Pax part 3 with an utter smackdown recovering from what was to him an amnesiac coma vs Megatron's surprise.

10. 0MEGATR0N

I mean in all cases,optimus has nothing in his backstory to back up why he would even be able to go toe to toe with megatron,outside of having the matrix(which is not his own strengh,so its the same instance as when megatron had the external power boost)prime was a desk clerk,megatron was a champion gladiator,if stuff could be written based on just the facts of both characters backstories megatron wins hands down.

11. Puck Hockey

It depends if you consider Orion and Optimus different characters. I do. Besides, wouldn't years of leading a war toughen you up enough to face off with Megatron?

Besides, having an unexpected power boost that will never ever occur again in the middle of a fight is hardly the same as getting a boost into a completely different person a million years ago. His fight was with Optimus, not Orion. Orion lost in a single punch.

On their own strength, Optimus beat Megatron 2 out of 3 times, with a draw. It's my opinion, you can have yours. I'm never revisiting this thread for my own sanity.

12. 0MEGATR0N

just sayin,if stories were written on the backstories given pax(prime)who are the same character wouldnt stand a chance,prime only wins because he is the good guy and hence always comes out on top,we all know megatron wins if the story was written in a fact based non good guy biased way.

13. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

Megatron's origins in the comics are different from Prime, because (so far) other than a one-shot prequel focusing on Cliffjumper and Arcee there haven't been any Prime comics. So those are all different Megatrons.

Now, IDW's continuity did retcon the mini series Megatron: Origins last year to make his origin in that continuity closer to Prime's, but it's still a different Megatron, one that does live up to his warrior/leader rep.

14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not if he wants to rule this world, which he does.

The Nemesis, as big as it is, isn't that big. He doesn't have enough troops to storm our world. Should he do that, the armies of the world would most likely unite and destroy the Decepticons along with the Autobots. The Decepticons would be forced to hide in their disguises as they did in the movies, which wasn't all that fun, IMHO.

Optimus still lives. Megatron cannot destroy him, and we know he's tried--even in his dreams. Megatron has a ship full of soldiers, and Optimus has a team of five Autobots who continue to defy the odds on a weekly basis. Why does Optimus need a some background story to showcase his skills when we've seen him go toe-to-toe with the Kaon Champion more than once?

I agree that that Megatron often loses because it is written that way--it's a kids show after all. But that doesn't mean we should short change Optimus. So long as he is a Prime, the Matrix is his to command...or vise versa; they share a symbiotic relationship. What we should have taken away from the season finale and the Orion Pax trilogy is that Optimus is the Matrix and the Matrix is Optimus. You can't have one without the other.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess the question is does Megatron want to rule over the humans or enslave them in some way?

If he just wanted to get rid of the humans without a lot of infrastructure damage then humans would be susceptible to an engineered disease of some type. With large dense population centers and the speed of modern transportation an epidemic is one the greatest fears out there right now.

16. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't he tell us in season one that he would rule this planet?

His previous tactics ruined his home and left him a planet to rule with no inhabitants. What good would it do him to do the same all over again? He's learned from his previous mistaken and is proceeding with his plans by different means this time around.

17. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

This!

Also I think TFP Megatron understands that humanity despite it's primitive
    technology by Cybertronian standards. Can be quite a threat. None of the
    current TFP characters can just take a 125mm APFSDS to the chin and
    laugh it off.

It's sort of like a modern soldier facing a competent archery squad.
    One has the advantage gear wise for sure but that is not enough to
    guarantee victory, more or less survival.

18. vatarian

Since when did Optimus beat Megatron two out of three times? In darkness Rising, Megatron ruined OP's shit. later, in the fight next to the volcano, Megatron won AGAIN!(albiet barely)
    I don't at all mean to disrespect OP as a wariior. simply pointing out the truth. Am I watching the same show as Puck Hockey? He seems to think megatron has lost twice.

19. vatarian

This is just hilarious..... So basically what you're saying is that when Megatron wins in your eyes, he's not winning? why do I bother posting here?
    You obviously have your opinion, and I have mine.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    My entire idea involves the Nemesis being well out of the range of any conventional weapons platform we currently employ unless TF: Prime is in the same universe as Stargate SG1. He takes that great honking ship (which must have some kind of stealth system because its too big to not set off radar where ever it goes) to the far side of the moon, deploys his little minions with those nice big drilling machines and starts just tunnelling with abandon. Break of a chunk of the moon (say 500 cubic meters), aim it at the Pentagon and fire it. Rinse repeat for NORAD, NASA and anything else you can think of. I mean, what would happen if the moon were to just vanish in a hail of asteroids.

And I know Megatron is a solid student of the Alien Villain's Handbook, but on his Villainous Master Plan, where is 'Rule Humanity with Iron Fist' or 'Enslave Humanity' written down?