Megatron´ second in command

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Dargor, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Am I the only confused about Megatron´s choices in seconds in commad (even if this is a question from since the G1 series, this Megatron is clever and genre savy enough)? Like Rincewind said in "Interesting Times":"Are you a devious, plotting, unreliable madman? Ah, good, then you can be my most trusted minister". Just to be clear, I am talking about both Starscream and Airachnid.
    Maybe Megatrons feels that the position of Supreme Lord of the Decepticons (in the actuality, little more than be a captain of a single battleship with a few hundreds of minions, most of them drones (surely far less impressive than back in Cybertron, when he controlled vast entires armies and cities) would be a little boring and dissapointing without anyone trying to usurp the tittle from him.

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Goes to show how smart he really is then!:lol 

3. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    1.Starscream (before he was gone)
    2.Airachnid (before she was owned by Soundwave)
    3.Maybe "Orion Pax" (before the Thirteen &/or Jack being his memories are back,and return as Optimus Prime)

4. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lull them into a false sense of security, make them feel he trusts them and when they stop being useful (or bore him with all their usurping tactics), he gets rid of them. - that's what I believe he does. Although maybe Megatron will just want to keep an optic on his oldest friend if he even considers giving Orion the role of second in command.

jD001

5. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Clearly this megatron is such an egomaniac that he purposely surrounds himself with sleazy ass kissy back stabbers as a show of confidence to his troops of how competent he really is.

And in the off chance one of them gets the better of them Soundwave is there to restore shit.

6. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Yeah, because fighting the autobots or trying to take over the Earth is not enough difficult or exciting, he need to distract himself via putting a professional backstabber next to his neck.

7. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    This makes me think Soundwave is the real second in command. After all, Ratchet said he was the first to join Megatron.

8. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, I didn't say it was logical but it does explain why he gives them multiple chances.

As Beast Wars Megatron said: Treachery keeps the wit sharp.

jD001

9. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    It allows him to keep his edge, and at the same time offer a differing point of view in case the other person caught something you didn't.

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I guess maybe Megatron keeps backstabbers as second in command is because he's trying to prove a point. If you remember in Exodus, Megatron has fears of Shockwave overthrowing him and taking over the Decepticon empire. Maybe in a way Megatron's terrified of what Shockwave can do due to the scientest's inner unstable animalistic rage. Maybe Megatron's trying to prove he can see ahead of every traitors plans and show he can be most merciless towards them. He also can use them for his amusment like with Starscream. He could try to prove to Shockwave that he knows what he may face back on Cybertron and persoanlly kill Shockwave if such an inceident occured.

11. longhaulsub

longhaulsub PS3 Tag: Northporttroller

I agree, it seems to keep him on his toes being able to watch thier second in command's failures and calls the play on them. And he gots Soundwave to back him up while he is out on a juant. ;) 

12. Kazuul

Kazuul Active Member

I get the impression that Megatron really just doesn't care about the day to day running of his ship and army. He just wants to go and get himself more power. Case and point: just up and leaving for three years to hunt down some dark energon and abandoning the Decepticons with next to no warning so he can speak with Unicron.

I can kind of see why Starscream would get fed up with Megatron. Starscream had everything running smoothly, and then here comes Megatron with some insane ideas, crazy orders, and leaving Starscream out of the loop for any of his plans. Starscream was, essentialy, leader ofhte Decepticons, and in a snap he's back to following the orders of a (seemingly) mad man.

As for Airachnid.. I'm guessing he honestly didn't care. He wanted to go see Unicron and she was there. Bam, SIC.

13. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    I never saw Soundwave as a second-in-command but more as someone who's just there to make sure everyone follows the leader, not be in charge. For example, if he was in command, he probably would have killed Airachnid right then and there during the scuffle. But since it wasn't Megatron's order and he made sure she learned her lesson to not defy Megatron, he just went back to his post, not leading or giving a crap about the others.

At the beginning of season 2, I'm going to guess Megatron will try to make Orion the second-in-command, and when that plan eventually goes bad he won't give a crap anymore.

14. iTeruri

iTeruri Bulkhead is the best

I think the chain of command is:

1. Megatron
    2. Soundwave
    3. Starscream
    4. Airachnid
    5. Knockout
    6. Breakdown

Starscream thinks he is the second in command, but the true second in comand is Sounwave. Soundwave is the only one Starscream ever feared (he is a backstabbing traitor to Megatron, but steps down when Soundwave shows his 'face'). Airachnid is the same deal: she thinks she has power, but Soundwave is there to control her.

15. Thilda

Thilda Treat your mother right!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really add Soundwave to the chain of command, because he is much more than that. He is Megatron's most trusted soldier, the "eyes and ears of the Decepticons". Not calling the shots but making sure everything goes to Megatron's advantage. The only time he took action not to save Megatrons ass was when he stopped Starscream from killing Wheeljack. If it wasn't for Soundwave Megatron would be long gone.

As for Megs choice for SIC's: I guess Airachnid and Screamy are competent enough to lead a ship and even though they both suffer from chronic backstabbing disorder, there's always Soundwave to keep them from crossing the line. Also in case of promoting Airachnid it's not like there was any competition - Breakdown is too dumb and Knockout is, welll... Knockout.

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I think Soundwave is the real second in command. Starscream and Airachnid are more like tools, since Megatron really does not trust them. Then when they act up, he has a way to show his power and put down others before they get ideas.

17. Karta

Karta Active Member

Whoever is appointed SIC is that until Soundwave decides otherwise.

Reason why Megatron does not leave him SIC is perhaps he considers Soundwave not so good at running the show openly. Also in Starscream case he might have considered Starscream being better leader.

18. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Sounds like Soundwave is more of a "First Mate" rather than "Second in Command".

19. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I see it as "Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer."

20. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Soundwave isn´t second in command, because he doesn´t even bother in command the rest of the decepticons. He is a full Praetorian Guard of a single guy, and if you want to take the throne, better to have him in your side. Even Starscream knew that. Airachnid has just learned it... the hard way.